Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives

Old 10-16-2001, 11:47 PM   #11
chinese noodle
Manshoon

this is quite cheesy, press pause before bad guys who would talk to you before attacking can talk, then click on them to talk to them, so instead of talking, they will wait for you come over and talk to you, that way while their waiting you can beat them up with your tanks and instead of coming over and talking to it, just keep pressing talk, but never actually go over, just walk away then tuyrn around and press talk again
Old 10-17-2001, 02:12 AM   #12
tehmpus
The Magister

Just a reminder, this thread is for legitimate tactics and hints, not cheats. Thanks go out to those who have shared some interesting tactics. I've been getting on the site every now and again to check the new ideas and responses.

------------------
Tehmpus Thales the permanently InSaNe
Old 10-18-2001, 06:21 PM   #13
AzRaeL StoRmBlaDe
Hathor

My personal favorite way to deal with any enemy is to haste and then improve invisible all my tanks and then bum rush and slaughter pretty much anything. Kensai's work really well with tactic

------------------
"They come in the dark. Always in the dark..."
Old 10-18-2001, 06:47 PM   #14
blastoderm
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Your fighters're going invisible hey I never tried that before but I guess everyone uses slightly different tactics to the same end anyway
Btw anyone ever tried high level monks? they get insane amound of attacks per round.
Old 10-18-2001, 07:23 PM   #15
Encard
Quintesson

Hmm... Here are a few of mine (the first was actually developed by a friend, though):
Spell Trigger: Lower Resist x3, Chain Contingency: Horrid Wilting x3
This works great againt any fights you know will happen soon. Just set the stuff, then as soon as you see the creature (this is mostly a boss fight tactic) let loose the Spell Trigger. It'll go faster than the Horrid Wiltings from the Chain Contingency, and should get the enemy to very low or 0 magic resistance before the Horrid Wiltings hit. Those do a LOT of damage, especially with 3 of them, and you should be able to kill most things, or at least get them down to VERY low HP, with just that one shot. It's quite easy to kill dragons that way, alsthough mildly dull.

The Semi-Cheasy Backstab Tactic
What you can do against enemies that are at least remotely near an area transition type thing that doesn't require your whole party to go through (not an area transition, exactly, but where you go from one building to another, and there's a loading screen... etc) is to send just your thief down their, with stealth on, then go to the enemy, backstab, and run back. Boots of speed are very useful in this. If the enemy is near enough to the exit to see you when you come in, go into stealth before you enter, then backstab. If they aren't try to get out of their line of sight, and if you can, go into stealth again, go a bit back, and backstab them again. If you can't get out of their sight, just go back through to the area/building/level you came from (where your group is). If they don't follow you, go into stealth again, backstab, and go back up as many times as necessary. If they do follow you... well, usually it'll be only one or two creatures, which can be hacked to bits by the group. This is quite good against something like a group of umber hulks.

Traps
Traps can be VERY useful, especially the high-level ones from ToB. If you set a bunch of them, them lure thetarget enemy/enemies to them, they will be very dead. I killed an Earth Elemental Prince and a Greater Earth Elemental that way in ToB (using, as I said, the ToB traps as well as the snares). Considering the Prince had, I think, at least 200 HP, and the other elemental wasn't too bad either HP-wise... I'd say traps are pretty nice.

Hmm... what else can I think of...

------------------
The Eternal ChAos-bringer of

HADB

CCCCCCcccccccHHHHHHHHhhhhhhAAAAAAAaaaaaaaOOOOOOOoo oooooSSSSSSSsssssss.............

[This message has been edited by Encard (edited 10-18-2001).]
Old 10-19-2001, 06:42 AM   #16
Skunk
Banned User

Casting chaos at the opposing mage (which also affects most of his fighters that are in the surrounding area) works 99% of the time.
Under the effects of chaos he can't cast spells and his fighters can't mount a combined offensive.

Look, if you really want to know GOOD tactics, look at what your enemies do:
Example:
Goblins - shamen casts web and archers pound the ensnared victims.
Flayers - stun (I use chaos instead) and then hit the stunned charactor (who now has lower AC)
Knight in Nalia's castle: Powers up, hastes and smashes. When low on hp, runs away, heals and re-joins the fray.
etc. etc...

FINALLY - ALWAYS target the opposing spell casters first!

Old 10-19-2001, 09:08 AM   #17
StarVid
Elminster

This is actually a pretty specific hint, but for people who want to do this it'll help.

I play a lot (almost always) of cleric/mages. They all had the basic Str9-11, Dex 18, Con16, Int18, Wis 18, Cha10. What's this? A pretty kick-ass cleric/mage, right? Nope. I just started a cleric in BG1 that I plan to take into BG2 and dual over to a mage and I found a better way to distribute the stats:

Str 14
Dex 16-17
Con 14
Int 18
Wis 13 (15 if starting in BG2, this char is in BG1 so I can tome him to 15)
Cha 12

Notice that the point totals on this is 87 (88 if you go for the 17 Dex), so it's pretty easy to roll up. I usually have this within 5 rerolls. Now you're thinking, well, what kind of cleric am I going to be with a Wisdom of 13. Considering that you're dualing over to a mage, it doesn't really matter. The bonus spells are really not necessary, expecially considering you're playing a mage. By putting more points into Str, Dex, Con, if things ever become hairy, you can use a holy power (and/or draw upon holy might)/boon of lathander to up your Str to 18/00, get an extra attack per round, the THAC0 of a 9th or 12th level fighter, an extra 9 (or 12, depending on when you dualed) hps. you can then throw in a draw upon holy might for extra kick. Granted, you don't expect your spellcaster to be in melee, but personally, I think this is a more well-rounded and better cleric/mage than the first one I listed.

I dunno, hope it helps.
Old 10-19-2001, 01:24 PM   #18
tehmpus
The Magister

Hey Skunk... why on Earth do you cast Chaos at the opposing mage? Half the time, it seems like mages have anti-spell defenses up which would absorb or turn your Chaos. Also mages seem to have better saves vs spells than other classes/monsters. Am I missing something here?

BTW.. I like to use Confusion occaisionly using HeirDalis' magic harp. Since it is a magic item and not a cast spell... it works on some creatures that aren't affected by normally cast spells. He can use the harp 3 times per day.

------------------
Tehmpus Thales the permanently InSaNe
Old 10-19-2001, 03:20 PM   #19
SecretMaster
Apophis

Don't know if anyone said this but, the Bard's kit the Skald, at higher levels, can play their song, and it +4 bonuses to everything, and your guys are immune to the mindflayer hold.
Old 10-20-2001, 06:50 AM   #20
blastoderm
Elite Waterdeep Guard

One note: if anyone wants to use any area effect spell against a spell protected mage you should cast it in front of him or on one of his buddies without protection.
this works with almost every AoE-spell including insect plague and abi dalzim's horrid wilting (it might be better if you target yourself instead of nearest enemy im you use AoE-spells within a chaincontingency)