Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives

Old 02-09-2001, 02:23 AM   #11
Sylent

I like using heaps of different spells...
A level 4 spell, Ice shower (or something) is very useful early on (it is sort of like a more basic version of Cloudkill - Which is also very useful)
Although, it is only similar, in the way it works, I stand outside range of evil bossman, and use cloudkill, or ice shower...
Death spell is good, because, by the time you get it, you should not have to waste your time killing pathetic creatures like Gnolls, or Evil Tree Men... It is great to wipe the floor clean of them...
Magik Missile (standard)
and I love the Cleric Spell Summon Aerial servant... It was doing about 30 damage to a demon knight, when I could only manage about 15-25... Very useful, and also seems to be able to hit Kangaax the Demi-lich.

Old 02-09-2001, 02:25 AM   #12
Sylent

I like using heaps of different spells...
A level 4 spell, Ice shower (or something) is very useful early on (it is sort of like a more basic version of Cloudkill - Which is also very useful)
Although, it is only similar, in the way it works, I stand outside range of evil bossman, and use cloudkill, or ice shower...
Death spell is good, because, by the time you get it, you should not have to waste your time killing pathetic creatures like Gnolls, or Evil Tree Men... It is great to wipe the floor clean of them...
Magik Missile (standard)
and I love the Cleric Spell Summon Aerial servant... It was doing about 30 damage to a demon knight, when I could only manage about 15-25... Very useful, and also seems to be able to hit Kangaax the Demi-lich.
Although I do find summon monster pretty useless, but I never used it excessively, They seem to be great only for fodder...

Old 02-09-2001, 02:31 AM   #13
Sylent

Grrr, darn double posts!
Why is it that it happens the first time I accidentally press the "Reply this topic", but when I try and send it usually, it takes about 4 tries, bcoz I get this "You forgot to fill in the nickname field" grrrr

Old 02-09-2001, 11:24 AM   #14
RAISTLIN

By the way my favorite spell that doesn't hurt me is summon fire elemental. These guys have done most of the damagein the last few dungeons and seem to take very little damage if any from most opponents.

Old 02-09-2001, 01:25 PM   #15
Ramon

Late in the game I rediscovered "Magic Missile" after hardly having used it in this game thinking that it did too little damage.
But then I learnt that the effectiveness of the opponent's magic resistance - and as it has been stated here before who in this game has not got any ? - was checked against every single missile separately meaning that at least one or two get through almost every time, even against opponents whose mr is really high.

Most dangerous spells in terms of "friendly fire" ? It would have to say all summoning spells that call upon monsters with spellcasting abilities. Boy, you have to look after those like after toddlers ! Otherwise
they will happily cast a "fireball" on that fire elemental attacking little Aerie - well, you all know the outcome. That will get me started on one of my favourite ranting subject on this game: artificial intelligence. No, let me take the shortcut to the conclusion: I sure hope that NWN will be improved a lot in that department, especially
considering that we won't be given much control over pausing. An A.I. that deserves that name would also provide for much improved encounters with the class of opponents that is already now potentially the most interesting/challenging: hostile npc parties of mixed classes.

So long,

Ramon

Old 02-09-2001, 01:54 PM   #16
Hesperex

HEHE...one of my favourite tactics is to cast web which pretty much holds up most oponents and then cast cloud kill, then wile CK is working it's evil bombard with fire balls. works a treat...useually. My most dangerous spell to both enemies and my own party (if i don't use protection from evil) has gotta be summon Fiend. Damn it's fun to watch a crazed demon rampage around killing everything that dares stand before my mighty Sorcerer

Old 02-09-2001, 02:15 PM   #17
Charlie
Lord Ao

Hi.

Trouble with a lot of these things for me is I give em a cursory read..."yep, got that, know all about it" if it don't hurt me and does a modicum of damage somewhere else then I stick with it. Unfortunately I've very rarely "got it" and usually I know even less about it. Chromatic orb and magic missiles I've never bothered with. It was only yesterday that I realised what good spells they are. I got kind of bogged down with the thought "higher level = better spell" mentality. True, but very easy to dismiss the low level stuff too quickly.

Lightning...great spell, great for toasting. Great for toasting my own party anyway. I can't get the hang of that spell for the life of me and the wand should carry a health warning with a geometric graph. That thing sends bolts out in six directions and is devastating on impact. It just always impacts me back the bloody thing.
Old 02-09-2001, 02:16 PM   #18
Lillie
Dungeon Master

For damaging others: my mage loves Chain Lightning (though it doesn't seem to work well against the Drow I'm fighting now in Ch. 5). My cleric really lays the smack down with Holy Smite (really did the trick against the mind flayers/umber hulks I had to fight last night).

Also, for damaging others (and occasionally my own party ) nothing says lovin' like that Fireball oven!
Old 02-09-2001, 03:17 PM   #19
"Hell Lich" Wah

If you catch me in a dark alley by accident, with some memorised abi-dalzims........................

....................RUN!!