Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal

Old 02-11-2004, 09:36 AM   #1
Trialos
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Ok, so I got the quest, I have Gaals key, Everything is fine so far, I get down to where Im supposed to go, then come to this unfinished bridge, where you have to answer a few right questions or they "educate" you with a servant. Well I got some answers wrong, got the 3rd question, got it wrong, had to kill a greater mummy, I did. But now the bridge wont work anymore at all. I click on it like I had been and cant get the bridge questions to come back up again, so I kind of cant go there to finish this quest at all. Any suggestions?

[ 02-11-2004, 09:37 AM: Message edited by: Trialos ]
Trialos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2004, 09:51 AM   #2
Armen
Symbol of Cyric

few usual things:

i haven't experienced or read about that as a bug before
are you fully patched and baldurdashed? (see Forum FAQ for details)
are you sure you are doing exactly the same thing?
are you sure you haven't activated the bridge without knowing - try walking across (it might be worth saving first)
are you sure that you've got the 'action cursor' (sort of two arrows in a circle) before you click?
have you tried reloading from a saved game?
sorry if that's no help . . .
Armen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2004, 10:09 AM   #3
Trialos
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Thank You for suggestions -

I am fully patched - wasnt baldurdashed, which I just downloaded so I will try that.

I was doing the exact same thing, and the bridge wasnt activated, I tried getting to the otherside. And Yes i had the action cursor.

And unfortunately, my last saved game before this happened is way way too far back, so if worst comes to worst, ill skip this quest.
Old 02-11-2004, 10:54 AM   #4
Armen
Symbol of Cyric

hmmm . . .

someone might know or someone more knowledgeable than i might be along to tell you how to edit the appropriate game variable with shadowkeeper or some other game editor if that's the sort of thing that you're into

good luck

EDIT: you should have an autosave from the area change when you went down the stairs

[ 02-11-2004, 10:55 AM: Message edited by: Armen ]
Armen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2004, 11:02 AM   #5
shamrock_uk
Dracolich

Yup, i had this problem in my last run through. I found it to be quite picky where you stand in order to activate it, try moving about underneath it. That fixed it for me: even though it didn't pop up with the message saying 'you are too far away to use this', it wasn't working.

Failing that, either a sleep or use the autosave will fix it. I know i didn't have to do anything drastic to make it work..
shamrock_uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2004, 11:50 AM   #6
Illumina Drathiran'ar
Apophis

5 Card Draw Champion
There should be an autosave not too far back. Near the steps. Use that one.

http://xkcd.com/386/
http://www.xkcd.com/406/

My heart is like my coffee. Black, bitter, icy, and with a straw.
Illumina Drathiran'ar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2004, 12:04 PM   #7
drew_jarvie
Zhentarim Guard

I think the problem is, as shamrock suggested, that you are not standing in the right place. This happened to me a few times. The correct place is right under the roof, near the bridge. In my experience anyways. And happy bridging [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 02-11-2004, 01:12 PM   #8
SixOfSpades
Dracolisk

I, too, had this exact same problem: Failing the 3rd question can "turn off" the riddles before the bridge has been fixed, thus stopping the Unseeing Eye quest cold.

Your Options:
  • If at first you don't succeed, give up. (Hey, it's an option!)
  • Reload. Your Auto-Save should be at the bottom of the stairs, but since you say your last Save is too far back, you probably left the area--thus Auto-Saving after you hit a bug. Never Save after hitting a bug. Now you know why.
  • Reload. Who cares
  • Rest. I don't know why this would work, it doesn't sound like Resting would fix anything....but hey, give it a shot.
  • Use Shadowkeeper to correct the faulty variable(s). A surefire method if you know what you're doing. I wouldn't know what I'd be doing.
  • Use Ctrl-J to teleport your party across the gap.
Old 02-11-2004, 11:39 PM   #9
Trialos
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Well, I tried standing in various spots to no avail unfortunately. I pretty much gave up on finishing that quest. I had moved on already so the autosave part was lost. This was all before I even posted here. I first saved without realizing the bridge got bugged on me.

Not sure what shadowkeeper is or how Ctrl-J works... Doubt I will go back to try now though - But thanks all for the help =)
Old 02-12-2004, 01:48 AM   #10
Pirengle
Symbol of Cyric

When Six mentioned Ctrl-J, he spoke of the CLUA console. It's easier to manipulate than Shadowkeeper (a "trainer" program that allows you to cheat and/or fix mistakes), plus you don't have to quit your game to use it.

How to activate the CLUA console:
  1. Open the baldur.ini file in your BG2 directory. It should open in Notepad or Wordpad.
  2. Find the section named "Program Options"
  3. Add the following code exactly as it is written here to the bottom of the Program Options list: Debug Mode=1
  4. Save the file and close.
  5. Start up BG2.
  6. To activate the console, on the main screen, press and hold Ctrl then press Spacebar. If you've done everything right, a new text box should appear at the bottom of your screen.
  7. Simply press Ctrl + Spacebar again or switch to another view (inventory, spells, etc.) to close the CLUA console.

The Ctrl-J trick can be used without opening the console text box. Just select your entire party, move your cursor where you want your party to go, and press Ctrl-J. You might have to do this one at a time with each party member, or you might be able to move them all.

And a final hint, don't transport them TOO far past the bridge.