Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 01-11-2001, 05:04 PM   #1
Verminaard

hey guys, i just got the game and i'm trying to figure out how to backstab properly in the game. first of all is there a melee-weapon restriction on the backstab? ie can only use dagger or short swords? second, is all you have to do is hide in shadows and hit the monster regardless of the way it faces? i haven't gotten either of my early thiefs...imoen or yashiro(sp) to bs properly yet. thanks for the help

Verminaard

Old 01-11-2001, 06:51 PM   #2
mack attack

Hello Verminaard. I also play a theif as well And If you ask me there are the best class to play. They are able to sneak around and scout out the area before running in and getting killed. Anyways before I get babbling on. You need to hide in shadows and stand behind the monster that you are going to hit then take a swing at them. Depends what level you are on the amount of backstab damage you do. Gets real cool when you can kill trols and bad guys like that in one swipe of the blade. Hope this helps.

Old 01-11-2001, 08:28 PM   #3
Tobbin
Red Dragon

There are some limits as to of what weapons that you can use, but really, it's pretty flexible. My only suggestion is to try out the weapon first where it's safe (non-combat) and try to stay with swords. It doesn't have to be a sword though, cause I have been able to backstab with the flail of ages (if you don't know what this is, you should find it in the De'Arnise keep). If you find the short sword of backstabbing (thieve's guild), it's awesome for this. The main thing that comes into play is what kinda armor that you have. If you have anything (item) that will help your stealth or Strength, that would help in the backstab. Especially Strength, because if you are stronger, you do more damage to begin with, and then it gets multiplied by your damage for backstabbing. Anything that helps with stealth will help you hide in shadows more often when you need to. As an example, if you backstab someone and can run behind an item that blocks your view, you can hide in shadows again and either walk away from the fight, or jump back in and backstab some more. It can be kinda frustrating to start off (that's why I pushed most of my points toward stealth when I started off), but this character will get very powerful at higher levels.