Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 08-15-2001, 10:16 AM   #11
Istaron
Banned User

Spinkick? Pha! Useless! It is slow, it takes much power and you'll have a hell ragaining your balance!
No, a simple punsh on the nose useally works best in tornaments.

------------------
We call him Bobby Corwen
Old 08-15-2001, 10:21 AM   #12
Rikard

Quote:
Originally posted by DonkeyWan:
Actually I always thought Jet Li and Jackie Chan would be knackered in a fight from jumping around and shouting so much, without actually hitting anybody...
I would Image Jacky who keeps on throwing chairs and tables to Jet li's head

------------------

Old 08-15-2001, 11:18 AM   #13
Vampire

Quote:
Originally posted by Lifetime:
Finally someone who understands Chinese Martial Arts. I cant stand it when people say that Jet Li or Jacky Chan "does Kung Fu"

And I believe that the Shaolin didnt teach only martial arts. For them it was a form of self-defence, they were monks first, warriors second, or not at all. And unlike the way BG2 potrays them, most were proficient in not only unarmed combat, but in impressive displays of weaponskills in a large number of blades and polearms, each variant needing years of study and practice to master.

Yep I guess I should as I'm from China. Hmmm, BG2 calls the Monk energy Kai. It's is actually spelt Qi. Shaolin are monks and there mastery of martial arts is secondary and coincidental. They dedicate their lives to it and many emerge from the monastry as evil and power hungry adventurers. Back in medieval days, China was very much like the Forgotten Realms, minus the monsters and magic. You either travelled the realms as a group (solos are usually VERY powerful) to enjoy the scapes, make poems and drink a lot! Others belonged to sects, (whether occult or righteous) and had specific small quests (such as hunt down some petty thief in their area). The sects MOSTLY lived in harmony despite their differences, each had it's unique school of martial arts and are forbidden to use any other schools. Shaolin is the strongest because it's by FAR the largest and most of its monks are very strong. Raiding tombs is defintely EVIL in China and lawful adventurers will hunt you down.

Plus, the whole idea of a quivering palm on a dragon's ass felling the beast is just ridiculous

Old 08-15-2001, 12:40 PM   #14
DonkeyWan
Drow Warrior

Betcha an AK 47 would stop him in less than 14 seconds...

BTW, I still reckon Jackie Chan's a tosser, in fairness..
Old 08-15-2001, 01:23 PM   #15
Vampire

Uh huh?
and why?
Old 08-31-2001, 06:22 PM   #16
Sir Kenyth
Fzoul Chembryl

Let's talk a bit more realistic about martial arts and the sword saints. Yes, they were highly disciplined and trained. Yes, they were quick. That does not make them superhuman or exempt from the laws of science. If you were to pit a sword saint or a shaolin monk one on one with an equally trained elite European knight, the knight would likely win. I can hear the dissent already. Why, you ask, do I think this? It's not a matter of honed skill, but a matter of physics. The classic katana is a slashing weapon and not effective at piercing steel plate. The knights weapons (broad sword, axe, flanged mace, etc.), on the other hand would destroy the samurais beautiful bamboo and woven cloth armor within a few hits. An unarmored monk would REALLY have a bad time. A pole axe or long spear would be his only hope. The best weapons against armored knights are high powered projectile weapons. Heavy draw crossbows and firearms were developed for this very reason! Which is why an armored knight would stand little chance against a modern soldier. It's all in the science of fighting. The correct tool for the job. Remember though, all the equipment in the world cannot compensate for a case of "Dumb-ass-itis". The mongols proved that when they waxed multiple armies and knights with guerrilla tactics, light calvary and stout bows firing armor peircing arrows. The headstrong knights charged blindly into many ambushes where they were peppered with armor piercing arrows from high ground.

------------------
The true secret to happiness is not having what you want, it's wanting what you have!
Old 08-31-2001, 08:01 PM   #17
Horus - Egyptian Sky God

one hit kill dragon is bull crap, it is just a disgrace to such magestic creature, I meant the most awesome creature of your imagination.
Old 08-31-2001, 09:47 PM   #18
Zoltan
Symbol of Cyric

Oh my god Monk is a Bruce Lee kit!
Old 09-01-2001, 12:43 AM   #19
Lifetime
Red Dragon

Quote:
Originally posted by Istaron:
Spinkick? Pha! Useless! It is slow, it takes much power and you'll have a hell ragaining your balance!
No, a simple punsh on the nose useally works best in tornaments.

I believe that in some forms of martial arts, you are prohibited from striking an opponent's face with your fists, but are allowed to kick with no penalty.
And DonkeyWan, watch Lethal Weapon 4, where Jet Li takes on the two guys with handguns. It might be just a movie, but those moves were..amazingly swift and potent. Ironically, he was killed in the end by an AK-47

------------------
Resident Lurker Guy