Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives

Old 09-30-2001, 07:07 AM   #1
peipei_lin
The Magister

I am planning to play a Kensai-Mage after I finish my game with my favourite Paladin. I've got a few questions to those who say Kensai-Mage is the best class in the game---

1. Which is better, dual-class at Kensai 9th level or 13th level?
2. Can I train Kensai-Mage to the XP cap of 29500000 for mage levels, or is the
XP only permits me train to a 'sum' of 29500000? -> ie. Can I learn the
highest level magics of mages in SoA? (level 8)
3. Can Kensai-Mage be able to wear Mage-Robes?
4. Is Celestial Fury with Equalizer a good match for "two-weapon style" ?
5. Or is "one-weapon style" better?
6. Is it true that a Kensai-Mage can go one-on-one with a dragon?
7. What about a Lich? or with Bohdi? with Irenicus?

Heroes from all over the world don't have to answer every little part if you are not bothered. But a full answer for me is appreciated.
THANKYOU VERY MUCH.

------------------
Great Paladin ~ Lucas
Old 09-30-2001, 07:29 AM   #2
Rikard

1. That's your own desition, depends if you want to be more fightery or magy
2. The Sum is maxed at 2,950,000 just as multi classed characters
3. Yes and He'll need them
4. I would say if you are a Kensai/Mage you'd best take Celetial Fury and Dak'kon Zerth Sword, otherwise i think Celestial Fury with Daystar might be better (i personally dislike the Equiliser)
5. Depends... If you are a Kensai the extra AC can come in handy. What do you chose? more attacks or better attacks.
6. Every character can go one on one with dragons, especially if you reach higher levels above the XPCap (with ToB)
7. Same as above though I wouldn't know about Irenicus

Remember that several peopel have Solo'd with all kinds of characters

------------------
Behold he who stands before you

Almighty (shared) Leader of the OHF
Proud member of the Ancients Club
The one True Necromancer/Blade of the Laughing Hyena's
Last of the Ancient race known as the Red Fluffies
Summoner of Bunnies

Official Register of the Top Posters;
"You can Run, You can Hide,
But you can never do both"

I'm Watching you...

Old 09-30-2001, 08:38 AM   #3
peipei_lin
The Magister

Thanks very much Rikard...

Its a good match for Celestial Fury and Dar'koz something sword, but sadly I don't have the version of it. I guess I will have to go with Daystar. Or maybe Equilizer, some people said its good, some say its bad.

I nearly burst into tears when I know Kensai-Mage can wear robes. Now, my AC can really rock...Robe of Good Archmagi...hahahahahaha...AC +5 bonus...haha... Plus "single-weapon style", I can be pretty defensive.

One more question,
[How many proficiencies in total can a Kensai-Mage get at the highest level in SoA??]

------------------
Great Paladin ~ Lucas
Old 09-30-2001, 09:42 AM   #4
Tuor
Elminster

I do the whole Kensai/mage thing a lot so in answer to your questions here goes.

1)Try and dual class at a level divisible by three because you get the +1 to hit and damage plus the extra proficiency every three levels-going to 13th level is a waste IMHO it just makes it harder to overtake your kensai level with your mage one for not many benefits.

If you've got ToB it may be worthwhile dualling at 15th but you'll be into ToB before you get your kensai levels back be warned.

2) In SoA your total xp-from mage and kensai are taken into account for the 2950000 xp cap so if you've spent 1000000 on your kensai you have 1950000 for your mage. unless you get the xp cap remover.

3) Yes and its great they can too

4) Not really a great combination IMHO as a kensai mage you won't get enough proficiencies for grand mastery in two different weapons plus three proficiencies in two weapon style. You're better off choosing long sword or katana alone. Celestial Fury plus Dakkon Zerth's blade is your best bet because of the extra spells you get from it. Alternatively grand master in staff and use the staff of the arch magi, that's fun too.

5) Only if you want to boost your AC, it's not really necessary if you've got a robe on.

6) Yes

7) Again yes but you might need something to prevent level drain against Bodhi-theres an amulet about that'll help you.

Kensai thieves are also fantastically unpleasant characters to play especially when you get to ToB.
Old 09-30-2001, 02:07 PM   #5
deathknight
Drow Warrior

1)Your best bet is to dual at 12 not 13. If you go on to ToB dualing at 13 is not very bad but even dualing at level 12 its rough. you don't get your kensai abilities back until late.

2) is the sum of the 2 characters. You may want to remove the xp cap or install ToB to get around that

3) yes! this is one of the main reasons why kensai mages are so strong. They can have better ac than a normal kensai AND cast protective spells on top of that! I recommend robe of vecna over any of the other robes since it reduces your casting time so much. This means you can be standing toe to toe with a bad guy as he is pounding on you and tear off a spell without fear of it being interuppted because he hit you.

4) CF and equalizer is ok. Zerth's blade is a great offhand weapon since it gives you extra spells and an ac bonus but later on I stopped using it in favor of black razor. I don't tend to worry about grandmastery as much as some people. You don't get all the bonuses from it that you should according to D&D rules. Still you can definatly get by with only katana. Going to longsword lets you swap in daystar,equalizer,dragonslayer etc as the situation dictates (I prefer my offhand weapon to offer bonuses such as AC,immunity to something like fear etc over combat stats since this character is both a mage AND a warrior)

5) I don't like 1 weapon style for a kensai mage. You have TONS of protective magic you can use so there really is no need at all to go 1 weapon style. Hell zerth's blade makes up for the AC bonus so there really is ZERO reason to go this route.

6 & 7) a kensai mage can go the whole game solo (well most classes can but kensai/mages can do it with more ease)

Some recommendations for kensai mage:
-Stoneskin is OUTRAGEOUS.
-Tensers transformation is such great fun for pure melee
-ghost armor,shield,blur,improved haste. All make you much better at melee
-Similucram is just nutty. a little mini-you molded in your image hehe. he is lower level than you but still VERY dangerous.

There are of course tons of other cool things you can do with this type of character

Old 09-30-2001, 02:11 PM   #6
deathknight
Drow Warrior

Just read your 2nd post about AC peipi_lin. Robe of good archmagi is good. Robe of vecna beats it hands down (one of THE best items in the whole game and sooo easy to get). Really don't worry about AC at all. Between ghost armor & stoneskin plus rings etc my kensai mage dual wielded and had the best AC in my entire party. But that stuff hardly matters. Keep multiple stoneskins memorized and you are a juggernaut.
Old 09-30-2001, 11:23 PM   #7
peipei_lin
The Magister

I am so glad that all these advices really came to me...tears...

Thanks for all the information guys (or girls), keep all the advices coming in for me, I can really use it.

[One more thing, I don't have the Collector/Pre-Order version of BGII. Please give me a website so I can download it perhaps...]

Thnk u vry mch !!

------------------
Great Paladin ~ Lucas
Old 10-03-2001, 11:25 AM   #8
Discopalace
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Go to Baldurdash (http://members.home.net/mrkevvy/) to download the extra shopkeepers found in the fancy BG2 edition. You'll get robes of vecna, zerth blade, etc. from these shopkeepers.