Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives

Old 08-21-2001, 03:09 PM   #1
Fisherman
Elite Waterdeep Guard

How do you kill the dragon named Firkag (or something like that). I try to beach or wand but nothing works, Im wacking the guy and I used up 2 wands of resurection but nothings happening. My mage has no more spells "memorised" and the dragon is only 'Barely injured". Iv got an axe +3 )frostsaver I think) which does +2 fire damage and the Dystar and the "dragon slayer". But he is imune to everything exept the "+ 2 fire damage". Just how much Hp does this guy have anyway.
Old 08-21-2001, 04:02 PM   #2
Wurm
Drizzt Do'Urden

Spoiler
If you have more than one MU then stock up on meteor-shower, death cloud, death fog and stand where the dragon can't see you. fire one at a time and he will go down without even causing one hit-point of damage to your party. LAME? I think so.... but it works.
Old 08-21-2001, 04:05 PM   #3
trux

Also, remember a dragon has magic resistance, so you'll have to find a way of counter-acting it.

------------------
a bunch of long hairs.
trux
Old 08-21-2001, 05:35 PM   #4
Starkiller
The Magister

If Fisherman is just playing through the game and has gotten this quest, I REALLY doubt he has Meteor Shower...but in any case that tactic is indeed a bit cheesy. There's really nothing wrong with it, but a general rule I have is that if you are not powerful enough to fairly defeat an encounter, then you are not yet at the point where you should be recieving that much xp. I would suggest this as a strategy. Since you dont sound like you are equipped with terribly powerful weapons I say equip one character with all the "dragon" items, (sword, shield, helmet...), like minsk or someone. now, if you have a cleric, memorize the spell "magic resistance", it is 3rd-5th level, I don't remember, and if your mage has 5th or 6th level spells available memorize as many "lower resistance" spells as possible. Also memorize at least one monster summoning spell. Now, send your summoned monster, priest, and one other character who you dont need to much for this battle up to the dragon, and put the priest behind him. Cast the magic resistance spell. When you are almost done with it, initiate dialouge with the other character adn say you are attacking Firkraag. Have everyone else well back. As soon as the cleric finishes casting have him run away, and attack with the monster and the other character right away. Once Firkraag uses his wing buffet to toss the pair away, send your dragon item equipped character charging in with whatever protection spells on him you can muster, and cast a "lower resistance" spell with your mage. He should now have about 0 magic resistance. You can take it from here. Cast spells, and run around healing and fighting, it will be hard, but I am sure you can manage

------------------
"Not everything ends the way you think it should"
Old 08-21-2001, 07:16 PM   #5
Mellagar

The cloudkill spells are a good method, and as far as the meteor shower spell, I believe you can by one of those at the Adventurer Mart, but if it is there it'll cost a pretty penny. I personally like to wear him down with some cloudkill, summon my monsters. A tip I found that works is to send one down there first, so Firkraag uses up his fire breath, then send the others. Send your fighters around to the side Firkraag. If you come at him from the front he could hit you with a wing buffet or attack you instead of your summoned monsters. Have a mage (kept far from the action) hit him with magic resistance drain or greater malison, whichever it's called. One more good bit of advice would be to either buy or memorize a haste spell. Haste your party if you want, but if you do this more than once everyone will become fatigued. Anyhow haste your monsters so you have them run around Firkraag and keep him busy longer.
Old 08-21-2001, 07:24 PM   #6
fckoln
Dungeon Master

Nice of you to give advice, but isn't it just as cheesy to keep a player back you intend to fight with while you draw out the wing buffet with another char that has no chance anyway? The dragon responds w/ the buffet, as in pre-determined. You know this, therefore what do you call it? Cheesy flavored un-cheese? What is the diff? Just beat the dragon anyway possible, if the designers did not want people off-ing the monsters with wands and other area effect spells why did they include them? Maybe they missed it, it does not matter. If you don't like to use it fine, but I'm calling what you suggest, Starkiller, just as cheesy.

I have no problem w/ people enjoying the game in whatever manner they choose. That is the way it is supposed to be. What I don't understand is why people get off on the "Cheese tactic" then offer up another tactic that is just as cheesy. Cheese is irrelevant.

BTW have fun, don't do what you don't want to, try every tactic till you find one that suits you. Be that cheese, fine - straight up all out fighting, fine.

Both tactics given will work, probably - I would tend to use the one that allows my ENTIRE party to take part in the fight, unless of course they can not harm the great beast. XP will be given anyway, but you have a party, use 'em all.

No disrespect intended at all to you Starkiller, you have posted great info in the past - cheers to you.
Old 08-22-2001, 10:17 AM   #7
Redblueflare
Galvatron

Yeah wing buffet is cheesy, but how fun would the game be if you cast a meteor swarm on every monster in the game? Lich no problem i'll just cast meteor swarm on it and run away. Oh scary look at this shadow dragon, meteor swarm run away. Horde of beholders meteor swarm run away. That gets old quick.
As for the red dragon spread your people OUT. That red dragons breath has a huge range, and does 50+ damage. Make sure your mages are in stone skin and mirror image cause odds are they will not survive. Make sure you cast breach to dispell Firkraggs stone skin. If you don't use breach he will be doing about five attacks per round for 30+ damage. This is not a good thing. Also equip the dragons slaying sword on your best fighter. It helps a little bit. Spell sequenced magic missiles, and lightning bolts are the way to go.(If you have both minor, and spell sequencer.) Good luck.

------------------
Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, I just don't have to listen.
Old 08-22-2001, 02:48 PM   #8
Starkiller
The Magister

Actually fcklon, you make a valid point. Perhaps my strategy could be construed as cheesy too, but the difference is there is no guarantee that the beast will use wing buffet. I have fought him where he never used it. I am simply preparing for and expecting one of his better abilities, much like you might cast negative plane protection on a character before they fight vampires. Whereas there is a patch to stop the cloudkill thing, since the difference is that the creature has not been activated since they are off the screen...but I digress, in actuality you are correct, no one tactic ir "right", and your strategy is as valid as mine, and probably a lot more efficient. Whatever gives you the most enjoyment is really what its all about right? I have mutual respect for your posts as well, and my hat goes off to an argument well made.

------------------
"Not everything ends the way you think it should"