Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion

Old 04-28-2010, 08:44 AM   #11
wellard
Dracolisk

Default Re: Windows 7 - video cards and games

thanks guys for the links ... will do some study tomorrow morning

fossils - natures way of laughing at creationists for over 3 billion years
wellard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 01:56 AM   #12
T-D-C
Ironworks Moderator

Guy at work got the Alienware Mx11.

Its a small portable & powerful Laptop/Netbook that should do mos tof the stuff you need.

Only downside is the size as well with an 11 inch screen.

Retails here in Oz starting from $1,399
http://www1.ap.dell.com/au/en/home/n...=dhs&cs=audhs1
Old 04-30-2010, 03:42 AM   #13
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Never go with laptops for serious gaming. A desktop can do anything a laptop can and can do it far better. They're also alot harder to upgrade and upgrades are far more expensive, in some cases being strenously difficult to acquire (especially if warranties have expired). Indeed, some parts are not worth the trouble to upgrade at all because of time spent tracking them down and money spent on them. It's not uncommon to find people who just bought a brand new lappy rather than spend the same amount of money upgrading their older one. Sometimes routine desktop upgrades are non-existant for a laptop so you remain stuck with whatever's in there.

The only reason anyone should ever buy a lappy IMO is if they absolutely need the technology's one, saving-grace. Portability. Anything else is just bells and whistles that a desktop can do better and then some. Desktop = Removable everything, easy access, large ventialtion and ultimately, more power on every front with the potential for massive upgrades if you so wish.
Old 04-30-2010, 04:57 AM   #14
ElfBane
Mephistopheles

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiritWarrior View Post
Never go with laptops for serious gaming. A desktop can do anything a laptop can and can do it far better. They're also alot harder to upgrade and upgrades are far more expensive, in some cases being strenously difficult to acquire (especially if warranties have expired). Indeed, some parts are not worth the trouble to upgrade at all because of time spent tracking them down and money spent on them. It's not uncommon to find people who just bought a brand new lappy rather than spend the same amount of money upgrading their older one. Sometimes routine desktop upgrades are non-existant for a laptop so you remain stuck with whatever's in there.

The only reason anyone should ever buy a lappy IMO is if they absolutely need the technology's one, saving-grace. Portability. Anything else is just bells and whistles that a desktop can do better and then some. Desktop = Removable everything, easy access, large ventialtion and ultimately, more power on every front with the potential for massive upgrades if you so wish.
Good call, Portability is the only reason I have a laptop... to check mail on the road and light gaming.

Iraq and Afghan fatalities: 6,855 and counting. Silence IS consent.
ElfBane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 06:35 AM   #15
Hivetyrant
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiritWarrior View Post

Not true, I bought an XPS 1730M with all the best parts, sure it costs more but I like having something that takes up no room, has one power cable and was able to match my desktop easily, sure technology moves fast, but it's not like it used to be where your top of the line gear is outdated in a month, sure they are always brining out new things, but my 3 year old dual 8800GTX's in my desktop (and inn my laptop) are still able to play the latest games.

Everyone loves to make fun of people that spend lots more on gaming laptops, but some of them are just nice to own.

TDC has made a great suggestion with the M11x, it's a beast of a laptop and despite its small size, in 5 seconds you can plug in your larger monitor and its as good as a desktop.
Hivetyrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 11:31 AM   #16
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

I spent a lot of time and money trying to keep a "gaming laptop" around. Not worth the hassle. Laptops are not for gaming, get over it.

For the 32 bit vs. 64 bit question, I do not think you'd want to go with 32 bit. 32 bit can't see more memory than ~3.5 gigs. For instance I have 4 gigs in my XP system and it can't see all of it. My understanding is that your biggest issue with Win7 is that it's a RAM hog, so you REALLY REALLY want minimum of 4gigs and preferably 6 or 8 or even more. Now, considering how much RAM you're shooting for, you certainly want a system that can see it.
Old 04-30-2010, 01:23 PM   #17
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hivetyrant View Post
Not true, I bought an XPS 1730M with all the best parts, sure it costs more but I like having something that takes up no room, has one power cable and was able to match my desktop easily, sure technology moves fast, but it's not like it used to be where your top of the line gear is outdated in a month, sure they are always brining out new things, but my 3 year old dual 8800GTX's in my desktop (and inn my laptop) are still able to play the latest games.

Everyone loves to make fun of people that spend lots more on gaming laptops, but some of them are just nice to own.

TDC has made a great suggestion with the M11x, it's a beast of a laptop and despite its small size, in 5 seconds you can plug in your larger monitor and its as good as a desktop.
Well, it is true...in that case you just spent more to achieve the same power. And when I upgrade I can do so in a snap, when you upgrade you have a slippery slope to navigate.

X2 8800gt's would begin to show their age around now - if they haven't already. You spent the money for an SLI setup which got you this far, but now you will start to notice a drop off playing the latest and greatest games. The 8800 is 3 gens behind (maybe more?).

Like TL said, I think people just need to get over it. If you bought it for both gaming AND portability then great, but lets not pretend you have it easy. You don't. And lets not pretend a desktop for the same price could knock it out of the water - it won't. While people may be thrilled with their purchase of a portable gaming laptop, this thrill quickly turns to frustration or bank withdrawals as it becomes obsolete.

My advice, again, use laptops for portability and work. I use mine mainly for these purposes. Sure, I can play WoW on mine (polygon count is so low, almost any rig can) and some older games but anything else I move rooms to my rig.
Old 04-30-2010, 01:52 PM   #18
Hivetyrant
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timber Loftis View Post
I spent a lot of time and money trying to keep a "gaming laptop" around. Not worth the hassle. Laptops are not for gaming, get over it.
My apologies, I didn't realise you were the only person on the planet to ever have owned one and therefore your opinion was the only one that was correct.
Hivetyrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 02:43 PM   #19
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hivetyrant View Post
My apologies, I didn't realise you were the only person on the planet to ever have owned one and therefore your opinion was the only one that was correct.
Well, now you know.

But seriously, yes if you want to spend upwards of $3k you can go out and get yourself a 9lb. "laptop" with a 2lb. power supply. And when one of the parts breaks, like it did on my POS Dell, then you have to buy a whole new system rather than replace a part. Getting a decent gaming laptop is not impossible, it's just impractical.

Last edited by Timber Loftis; 04-30-2010 at 02:53 PM.
Timber Loftis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 10:24 PM   #20
T-D-C
Ironworks Moderator

For a gamer like myself that travels for work and has a LAN party every month or so a gaming Laptop is a necessity for me.

Different situations call for different setups.