Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Dragon Age™ Origins

Old 12-22-2009, 11:28 AM   #11
Chewbacca
Zartan

Embarressed Re: Hi, High Dragon

Wow, I just got 4 15th level asses handed to me! Whoops, Not a fight to do on Nightmare difficulty!!!!
Old 12-22-2009, 12:42 PM   #12
robertthebard
Xanathar Thieves Guild

Default Re: Hi, High Dragon

Funny you should mention that. I was loading an old save game for some stuff, and couldn't figure out why I was having such a hard time. I set a new game to play on Hard, and now all my games are. Since I started that game before that fight with the dragon, I guess I was luckier than I thought.
robertthebard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 06:13 PM   #13
Greything
Drizzt Do'Urden

Running on hard with the old classic party (two tanks and two mages) at levels 13/14 I barely made it.

I am not going to go anywhere near nightmare.
Greything is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 06:52 PM   #14
robertthebard
Xanathar Thieves Guild

You'd just need a different party configuration. You're kinda short on dps there, so adding a dw or 2h warrior and a rogue type, whether archer or melee would be your best bet. Keep one tank, and one healer spec'd mage. That said, on hard, I ran Leliana ranged, Ohgren, Shale and myself as a dw rogue through most of the Deep Roads, including the Broodmother. That was ugly. But it worked. Lel was oneshotting the yellow darkspawn with Arrow of Slaying quite a bit. Good times...
Old 12-22-2009, 10:12 PM   #15
Chewbacca
Zartan

Laughing Out Loud Re: Hi, High Dragon

My Mage, Panorous, brought Wynn, Allister, and Sten to the fight.

Through careful use of Cone of Cold and Winter's Grasp we kept the beast frozen as often as possible while the two fighters thwacked away in melee. In between freezes, Wynn buffed Heroic Offense & Defense on the fighters while Panorous stayed busy with his range of damage spells.

Wynn was the only casualty from a fireball type breath attack. She somehow came back to life on her own soon after falling and helped finish the fight.

I love the Death animation, this time starring Allister with the killing blows.

Great battle, I can't wait to do it again!
Old 12-22-2009, 10:17 PM   #16
robertthebard
Xanathar Thieves Guild

I got a screenie of my DW rogue getting the killing blow in another close fight. Morrigan and Sten died, and Leliana is really close. That reduce hostility gear really works. The dragon munched Morrigan, and ignored me to go after Leliana, leaving me flanking it. Bad place to have a dual wield rogue. I got the screenie right at the apex of the dragon trying to throw me off it's head, looks cool, but I can't get it to upload to my photobucket account.
Old 12-24-2009, 11:06 AM   #17
Greything
Drizzt Do'Urden

Shale rules.

She attracts all phsical/fire attacks and Dragon cannot pick up and shake.

If Shale has fire resistant crystals so much the better

Keep Wynne healing/reviving Shale and everyone else hammering with staffs/Winter Grasp/Cone of Cold/Ice arrows.

Still lost two while playing on hard.

Need bigger weapons.
Greything is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 03:41 PM   #18
Chewbacca
Zartan

I'm saving Shale to tank for an "evil" playthrough with Morrigan, the Assassin, and perhaps Dog.

really hope to see a Dog killing Dragon death animation...

"Go for teh throat Boy, SIC EM!!!!
Old 01-25-2010, 06:43 AM   #19
Olorin

Breakout Champion Hexxagon Champion

Got to High Dragon for the first time last night.

My party was 13/14. DW Rogue, Alistair, Wynne, and Morrigan. I had the -hostility gear, which didn't prevent me from getting KO'ed early.

When the dragon settled down for ground assault, Wynne revived me. I kept Wynne back out of range of buffet, and off to the side to avoid breath attacks. Alistair held threat well. I'd already been to see the elves, and the Juggernaut armor set worked well vs. fire. He also had shield wall + mastery, so he refused to get knocked down.

Morrigan tried to stay just close enough for CoC, with attempts at Paralyze, Glyph of P., and Crushing Prison that were mostly ignored. CoC worked, but between Morrigan and Wynne, I think only one Glyph actually landed.

My rogue dished out decent damage from behind the dragon, but kept getting thrown back. With Morrigan and Wynne both having Heal, we actually had a fairly easy time of it once the dragon set its sights on Alistair.
"Many are my names in many countries. Mithrandir among the Elves, Tharkun to the Dwarves; Olorin I was in my youth in the West that is forgotten, in the South Incanus, in the North Gandalf; to the East I go not"

--The Two Towers
Olorin is offline   Reply With Quote