Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives

Old 12-25-2000, 10:24 PM   #1
Blade_Firestorm

I have made a new AI Script for Thieves
It's called thief5 and can be used by d/l it to your BG2/Scripts directory.
to use it assign a script to a char and use Custom Script Thief 5.
Basicly it allows you to Detect Traps in Idle Mode, but if an enemy is near or a member of your group needs help they will go and fight. I love the idle detect traps from the thief adventurer script, but hated that they didn't fight automaticly. So now this is fixed =)
find the script at this address.
http://www.orderoflight.acguilds.com/thief5.bs

As for my Question...
After saving Nalia's Castle, you are supposed to be a fighter to become LORD of the Keep right??? Well my Main is a Palladin. And she said I wasn't enough of a fighter to be lord of her keep. WTF??? Historiclly Knights and such RULED these keeps and lands near to it. Nalia's own father was a Knight! How could a Palladin be turned down for lord of the keep and not a simple fighter?
WTF whatever...

Old 12-25-2000, 10:41 PM   #2
The.Relic
Red Dragon

Hi Blade_Firestorm, Your argument regarding knights makes sense. I guess it just has to do with the way that the BG2 disigners layed out the game. The Paladin Stronghold entails becoming a member of a certain order and then completing quests. Sorry I don't know the details as I am playing as a Kensai.
GL
Old 12-26-2000, 09:01 PM   #3
Blade_Firestorm

Well I imagine Palladin or Knight has to be one of the top positions played in the game, and thief also with the new movie out...
But just Irk's me, The Palladin Stronghold is good, but I mean even after becoming a Knight with the Order of the Radiant Heart, when you talk to a Nobleman or Woman in a bar they call you a peasant...wtf??
Oh well, wish they would have payed a little more attention to detai.

Has anyone tried out the AI Script???
I am planning on making a New Mage one also... for different situations...for instance if you are coming onto a dragon you would use pierce magic and dispell magic on him then blast him with other spells....I hate when my mage just blows all her lame magic missle spells at the enemy....but I don't want to constantly control how she fights either..
But anyways, I love my Thief 5 AI and it works great!
Look for others in the future...
OH BTW if you all goto the web address and the file dosn't download but it actually appears in Code...
Cut or copy it out to the clipboard, open wordpad or notepad and copy the code to an empty file. then name it Thief5.bs or whatever you want .bs
put it in your bg2/scripts directory and it will work.
Enjoy

Old 12-26-2000, 10:52 PM   #4
Armisael

A knight is a fighter who owes close allegiance to a kingdom. A paladin is a fighter who serves god (or in Faerun's case, Torm). Simple enough.

Old 12-26-2000, 11:24 PM   #5
Blade_Firestorm

But you must remember this.
A Paladin is always a Knight.
But a Knight is not always a Paladin.
Just because a Paladin serves a Holy Cause in his own eyes dosn't mean he isn't a Knight and have the Noble right to rule over his own land.
I just thought if Nalia wanted anyone to rule her Keep she would want one who is Knightly and meant to rule.
BTW this is Historically accurate and in the BG2 Description of a Paladin(Cavalier).

Old 12-26-2000, 11:40 PM   #6
Armisael

True. Personally, as a fighter, I'd rather have something a little less gratuitous than a keep as my stronghold, but that's just me. Maybe the fact that the Order of the Radiant Heart is present in Athkatla means that's automatically what a paladin character is striving for, or something. I don't really like paladins anyway, too posh for my liking. : P

Old 12-27-2000, 03:09 AM   #7
Rikard T'Aranaxz
Harper

Yeah but you can't really rollplay a paladin Armisael with your chr of 0.3
or is that higher now since you ain't drunk all the time?
Old 12-27-2000, 03:24 AM   #8
Armisael

No, still the same, only now I'm a whole lot less jolly. To others who might think that was a personal jab, I admitted it some time ago. : P

Old 12-27-2000, 10:38 AM   #9
robertthebard
Xanathar Thieves Guild

Just my guess, but in my current game, I am playing a monk, and got the keep because "...it is customary for a 'man at arms' to take over these keeps after they defeat them." A Paladin isn't really a "man at arms", that's more of a warrior title. A general who has retired from campaigning, for example. Most Paladins don't live long enough to retire, and when they do, the last thing they want is to Lord it over a keep. Keldorn settles down with his family, if you release him after his quest. Paladin's are too busy smiting evil to worry about who marries who, etc.
Old 12-27-2000, 06:43 PM   #10
Blade_Firestorm

I'd have to disagree.
You make a good point though. But
"Man at Arms" - Look at the word. It entails it a fighting man. That is Armed. Basicly a Man(or woman) with a sword or other weapon that is willing to fight.
Now take a look at the Monk. A monk lives at a monastary. What need would a monk have to have his own keep?
As for living long enough. In midevil battle, your Knights (which are Paladins in a sort) were the commanders of thier particular army (from thier fief).
If they were defeated they would most likely either run away or die in defeat. Most of the Knightly class outlived their solgiers and men at arms by a considerable number or years.
I do understand the part about Keldorn living in his estate in the Gov District. Not historically accurate but still, as a Paladin and a fighting guy, not a mage or thief or ranger, they should have been given the option to be lord of Natlia's keep.
For an example. Remember King Arthur or even Lancelot. The epitomy of Chivalry and both High Knights working for a Holy Cause which would be a Paladin. Arthur has Camelot and Lancelot had his own lands and keeps and castle in Briton and in France.
Oh well,
Cest' La Vie