Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Baldurs Gate & Tales of the Sword Coast
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-17-2005, 03:02 PM   #1
Lord Michael
Elminster

I went through the whole BG series a couple years ago, then put it down. I've started over (man I'm addicted) with the intent of running the whole series again (this time knowing how to export properly so it will be the same character in all three).

Here's my prob: My party is in the city of Baldur's Gate, I've explored all of the first board, most of the sewers, and found my way to the Splurgin' Sturgeon. I talked with Mr. Shade (it appears he either takes the pantaloons or gives some comic relief). Then I go around to all the chests upstairs, take out the Mustard Jelly to win my 60 gold from drunk guy downstairs, and find there is one chest that I just cannot pick! It says "This does not have a conventional lock, and may be warded against simple spells"...
Well, I tried having Imoen drink several potions of Master Thievery and even added a potion of perception in there (her pick locks was up near 200%)...no dice.
Then I tried my PC drinking a potion of Storm Giant Strength...no dice.
Eventually I even tried the knock spell (knowing it wouldn't work)...nope again.

Is this lock pickable? There is another one in a house in the northern part of that same board that I can't seem to get at. Are they part of a later quest that I've forgotten? Are they just there to mess with us?

Any help or ideas would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance

"Better to die on your feet than to live on your knees"
Lord Michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005, 03:12 PM   #2
Marty4
Symbol of Cyric

That message means that the lock is broken by other means, like doing a quest. I don't know what quest it relates to, or if it isn't openable (I believe that there are a few glitched chests in the game).
Marty4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005, 03:19 PM   #3
Lord Michael
Elminster

I was kinda thinking that it may be quest related, thanks a million! This makes moving on a little easier, since I'm trying not to miss anything this time around.

Thanks again.

Old 05-17-2005, 03:19 PM   #4
ElfBane
Mephistopheles

There are several chests in the game that cannot be opened by any means. I *think* Six of Spades has a list of them at his website,,,,,,,
go here
http://www.geocities.com/sixospades/bg/bgguide.htm

Iraq and Afghan fatalities: 6,855 and counting. Silence IS consent.
ElfBane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005, 03:45 PM   #5
Lord Michael
Elminster

I knew this site ruled! Many thanks.
Great signature, ElfBane...

Old 05-17-2005, 05:11 PM   #6
SixOfSpades
Dracolisk

I do indeed have those listed (Chapter 13, I think it is), but the Splurging Sturgeon isn't one of those chests. It's been years since I played, but I don't remember a bugged chest anywhere in that Inn....it may simply come down to different versions of the game. Either way, I know that there's no key for that lock, so if it's unopenable, it's unopenable.
Old 05-17-2005, 08:01 PM   #7
Lord Michael
Elminster

Yeah, I don't remember this happening the first time I went thru the game, so I doubt it's a bug. Although, this is the only time I've started the game with TotSC installed when I was level 1. Last time I installed it after the final save. I just looked thru the manual, and no higher level spells struck me as possibly effective... Anybody ever try drinking 10 Master Thievery potions?

Old 05-18-2005, 02:42 PM   #8
Lord Michael
Elminster

Well, the 10 potions definitely did not work. Imoen's Open Locks was at 283%!
The only thing I noticed was that when a thief tries, it reverts back to that "this does not have a conventional lock crap", BUT, when my PC with a potion of storm giant strength (24) tried, it just says "you have failed to force the lock". Maybe I need a 25 strength. Are there any cloud giant strength potions around the Sword Coast?
I am bound and determined to open these bastards if it can be done. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Old 05-18-2005, 04:43 PM   #9
SixOfSpades
Dracolisk

The Thieving skills wrap around once they hit 255 (or thereabouts), so a Pick Locks score of 283% is actually more like -220%, ensuring failure every time, not just on that lock but on ANY lock. Then again, I believe that the main reason that these locks are bugged in the first place is because BioWare accidentally gave them a negative difficulty, so the only way to open them would be to either wear the Bracers of Binding or Gauntlets of Fumbling, or to drink enough Potions to make your Pick Locks score somewhere in the negative range. Beats me. Of course, I'm not going to break my head over opening a container that more than likely just holds a Silver Necklace and a scroll of Grease anyway.

The most powerful STR poition is Storm Giant: 24. Cloud Giant Strength is 23. The only way to get 25 in BG1 is to cast Draw Upon Holy Might after drinking a powerful STR potion.
Old 05-19-2005, 03:56 AM   #10
ElfBane
Mephistopheles

Hey Six! Since you haven't played BG1 in a while, give it a whirl with "The Fields of the Dead". Makes the game considerably different.
Is this a thread hijack? Sorry,,,better than a browser hijack I guess.

[ 05-19-2005, 03:57 AM: Message edited by: ElfBane ]

Iraq and Afghan fatalities: 6,855 and counting. Silence IS consent.
ElfBane is offline   Reply With Quote