Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 01-20-2003, 09:36 PM   #1
Lady Blue03
Xanathar Thieves Guild

I've always wondered this:

Say an Aussie and a Californian are in a room together, talking. Now, would the Aussie think the Californian has a funny accent, or is completely void of one? I think it would be a funny accent, if I were born in Aussie. But my mother seems to think they would think we are lacking of accents. So i figured I'd ask people who are actually living in Aussie. People with non-calif accents are welcome to add their opinions as well
Old 01-20-2003, 09:44 PM   #2
Judas Maccabeus
The Magister

Y'all need ta git 'n accent. Y'all sehm rellah bland.

Now git offah mah propahty!

*fires shotgun and releases dogs*
<br /><br />\'Far be it from me to do such a thing as flee from them! If our time has come, let us die bravely for our kinsmen and not leave a stain upon our glory!\'<br />--1 Maccabees 9:10
Old 01-20-2003, 09:46 PM   #3
shadowhound
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Californians have accents, they just don't realise it. Most people don't realise that they have accents, they just think everyone else has [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 01-20-2003, 09:53 PM   #4
Lady Blue03
Xanathar Thieves Guild

That makes sense, I think. Given I think accents from Europe and around there as well as Australian and New Zeland are very sexy
But i suppose as long as you think that you don't think you have an accent, you don't, but everybody else does [img]tongue.gif[/img] *confusing myself*
Old 01-20-2003, 09:53 PM   #5
Sir Krustin
Symbol of Cyric

Californians have accents, everybody has accents - your own accent just seems natural to you.

To clinch this, listen to a Valley Girl.

Like, whatEVerrr!
Old 01-20-2003, 10:20 PM   #6
Aelia Jusa
Iron Throne Cult

Tetris Champion
Surely everyone has an accent? However you pronounce words, that's your accent... isn't it? Wow the concept of no accent is kind of boggling! What would that sound like I wonder? No, nothing I think, makes no sense [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Of course, I wouldn't think they had a funny accent, just a different one .
Old 01-20-2003, 10:45 PM   #7
Aragorn The Wise
Manshoon

united states accents depend on what region you live in. I've lived in Ohio all my life but when "outsiders" move to Ohio I can tell what region they are from, from their accent. Accents are everywhere
Old 01-20-2003, 11:03 PM   #8
LordKathen

I think that there is a differance between accent and dialect. I think aussies have the coolest dialect of them all. Within the US, we have a large variety of accents, but only one dialect. At least thats how I look at it, I could be wrong.
Old 01-20-2003, 11:14 PM   #9
shadowhound

Quote:
Originally posted by Lady Blue03:
I think accents from Europe and around there as well as Australian and New Zeland are very sexy
Quote:
Originally posted by LordKathen:
I think aussies have the coolest dialect of them all
Damn I love being Australian
Old 01-21-2003, 06:05 AM   #10
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Question Mark

I agree with Bluesy here - I spent my early childhood in Ohio, then adolescence in Los Angeles, then moved to Sydney when I was 15 (almost half my lifetime ago). I've still kept my generic Californian accent, which is to say that I have a neutral American accent (like a TV presenter). Of course, within California itself there are a number of accents, depending on where you are - but the majority of Ozzies are too tone-deaf to distinguish between disparate North American accents - anything with more drawl than a Texan accent and they're lost. [img]tongue.gif[/img]