Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 08-25-2004, 10:29 AM   #31
Lady Sedai
Banned User

It's a real kitten.

Sageridder, I think the only reason the head looks a bit disproportionate is the angle at which the picture was taken. With kitty's head so close to the lens, I think it gave it an odd perspective.

But as I've seen two litters born before my own eyes and have had cats (mostly starting from kittens) my whole life, there are many things about this pic that make me believe it's real. Plus, I believe it was first posted on RateMyKitten.

As pointed out, the 'eye' thing would be the nictating membrane and I doubt anyone making a stuffed animal would incorporate that.

As to the coloration, I can post up a picture of my cat, Isabeau, who just happens to be nearly that color pattern.

And the kitty is not "just born". Their eyes are closed after birth for several days to a week and then only slightly opened for another week or so.

With the ears still folded down a bit, I'm guessing it's about 3 or 4 weeks old.

But also, as pointed out, the incosistencies and randomness of the fur pattern as well as the wetness to eyes, nose and mouth and the paw pad coloration are all indicative of a real kitten.

You can even see pink skin around the mouth/nose area under the fur. A stuffed animal kitten wouldn't have fresh pink skin coloration. It would be the color of the fabric used to attach the fake fur.

If it's not, it's one HECK of a good imitation and it would have to be CGI. But I don't think anyone could "fake" one that well.

[ 08-25-2004, 10:35 AM: Message edited by: Lady Sedai ]
Old 08-25-2004, 11:41 AM   #32
Oblivion437
Baaz Draconian

Yeah, it's real, but let's not forget, the cuteness is all that matters...
Old 08-25-2004, 11:42 AM   #33
Firim Silraven
Dungeon Master

I've discovered that not only is this kitten real, it's also got a twin and they're both accomplished guitarists! Don't believe me? Just look here - www.rathergood.com/hippo
Old 08-25-2004, 11:44 AM   #34
Oblivion437
Baaz Draconian

Something I must confess.

Shortly after seeing this picture, I watched Charlie Chaplin's The Kid...To say the least the effect was unusual...
Old 08-25-2004, 11:49 AM   #35
LordKathen
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Quote:
Originally posted by Firim Silraven:
I've discovered that not only is this kitten real, it's also got a twin and they're both accomplished guitarists! Don't believe me? Just look here - www.rathergood.com/hippo
[img]graemlins/saywhat.gif[/img] Disturbing... [img]graemlins/hehe.gif[/img]
Old 08-25-2004, 12:46 PM   #36
Absynthe

Question Mark

In a more sober contemplation of the picture, I think it may be a young Munchkin. These cats are bred for small bodies and short legs, and that could account for the overall odd look of the kitten. In any case, that's an extremely cute picture.

Old 08-25-2004, 01:04 PM   #37
Ladyzekke
Ironworks Atomic Moderator

OMG, I just did a quick search for Munchkin cats Absynthe! That is so weird!

http://www.gotpetsonline.com/munchkin/munchkin.html

Reality Show Recaps
Old 08-25-2004, 01:10 PM   #38
Stratos
Vampire

The kitten is definately real.
Old 08-25-2004, 01:16 PM   #39
Absynthe

Yeah, it's pretty messed up, isn't it? I hold a special place in my heart for people who breed animals for money, especially those that prefer deformation. Often this ends up with serious health issues for the animals, such as brachycephaly issues, opthalmology problems, the list goes on... I'm not aware of any specific issues with the Munchkins, but I wouldn't be surprised to find problems down the line. Often money-hungry breeders will overbreed to take advantage of a market for "cute" animals. Remember the pot-bellied pig fad? There's a lot of rescue sites for the leftovers after they're no longer cute and cuddly... sigh. [img]graemlins/idontagreeatall.gif[/img] okay, rant over.

[ 08-25-2004, 01:18 PM: Message edited by: Absynthe ]

Old 08-25-2004, 01:27 PM   #40
Dron_Cah
Horus - Egyptian Sky God

Defend Your Castle Champion Frogger Champion Monkey Diving Champion Summer Games Champion Donkey Kong Champion
Moon Lander Champion Space Invaders Champion
ROTFLMAO!! That's so great!! "Hippo-girl!" Oh, man! That's gonna be stuck in my head all during chemistry! Damn you!! [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Lady Wendy, that's just weird. very disturbing. Do people still breed those?