Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 11-30-2001, 07:40 AM   #11
Dresdan
Zhentarim Guard

Hey Campino, whats up? Could the answer possibley be NOTHING
Old 11-30-2001, 07:56 AM   #12
Lioness
Jack Burton

quote:
Originally posted by Campino:
Since we're into riddles anyway,here's another one:

What is:

-greater than God
-more evil than the devil
-rich people need it
-poor people have it
-and if you eat it,you die?

(c)a belgian player from another forum

Nada. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-30-2001, 10:10 AM   #13
Sir Kenyth
Fzoul Chembryl

quote:
Originally posted by Dresdan:
The salesmen each got $1 back so they paid $9 apeice $27 for the room, right. The clerk has $1 and the bellhop has $1. Thats only $29. We started with $30.

It's a trick question. That's not the way you figure it out. The story problem presented here is flawed in it's application. The $27 paid INCLUDES the 2$ that were kept as tips by the bellhop and innkeeper. Therefore in order to reach the original price of $30 you would add the $3 which was refunded, not the $2 in tips that is already included in the total paid price of $27.

Does this answer your question?
Old 11-30-2001, 10:16 AM   #14
Dresdan
Zhentarim Guard

Not flawed. It's a riddle not a story problem. Yes that's the right answer, you just have to disregard the bell hop and clerk, it's an irrelevent line thrown in to confuse. Thus creating the riddle.
Old 11-30-2001, 12:12 PM   #15
Campino

you two are too smart for me,Dresdan and Lioness [img]smile.gif[/img]
I'll think of another one.......

*sigh*
Old 11-30-2001, 01:24 PM   #16
Garnet FalconDance
Mephistopheles

Umm, I'm with Grand Ranger on this one---the answer was immediately, glaringly apparent! I don't understand what the problem was with figuring it out....
Old 11-30-2001, 03:18 PM   #17
Legolas
Jack Burton

quote:
Originally posted by SixOfSpades:
Here's another one:

A spy is captured by the enemy, and dragged to their prison camp. The enemy commandant doesn't want to interrogate the spy right now, as he's just about to go to bed. To ensure that the spy will stay up all night worrying (and be easier to interrogate the next morning), he tells the spy:
"I'm going to play a game with you. We're going to put you in a room with a door that has no lock. There's a guard in the hall, though, so you can't get out. The only things of interest in the room are 4 light switches--each switch controls 1 light bulb in the room across the hall. Now, if you can figure out which switch controls which bulb by daybreak, we'll let you go and give you a full hour before we come after you. The catch is that as SOON as you enter the room with the light bulbs, or even to peek inside, you will have to give your answer, then and there."
"Pleasant dreams."

What's a spy to do?

Since it's night, he can see if there's a light burning in the other room by looking at the floor near the door [img]tongue.gif[/img]

This reminds me of a similar one. Let's use the same situation where there are four switches, but only a single lamp. Naturally, only one of the switches is connected to the light bulb.
This time, as soon as the spy exits the room with the lamp, he has to say which of the four switches is the right one.
He has no tools and he cannot see the other room, nor if there's a light burning there until he enteres the room with the lamp. So he's got one single shot, and four switches to choose from. How will he do this?

(It's pretty obvious once you figure it out )

Say NO to the Trouser Tyranny!
Old 11-30-2001, 06:46 PM   #18
demus
Manshoon

Legolas: he chooses the switch which is the other way around to the others (ie. if 3 switches are down, then he hits the one that's up or vice versa [img]smile.gif[/img] ), Right?
Old 11-30-2001, 06:54 PM   #19
Horus - Egyptian Sky God

quote:
Originally posted by demus:
Legolas: he chooses the switch which is the other way around to the others (ie. if 3 switches are down, then he hits the one that's up or vice versa [img]smile.gif[/img] ), Right?

nah uh, it is up to you to find out which switch controls the light. basically, you have to choose one out of four. the switch is not already flipped. even if you flip one, that one might not be the control
Old 11-30-2001, 07:09 PM   #20
SixOfSpades
Dracolisk

You and I are basically asking the same riddle, Legolas: Your problem is which of 4 switches controls THE light bulb, and my problem is which of 4 switches controls WHICH of 4 light bulbs. The two problems are essentially the same (if you know the answer to one, you can figure out the other), with the main difference that looking under the door makes solving the 1-bulb problem a no-brainer, but is no help at all with the 4-bulb problem. So let's assume that you're not allowed to look under the door, at least in the 1-bulb problem.

Any real answers yet? Come on, we're intelligent gamers here.

P.S. Oh, let's also assume that 'down' equals 'off,' for all the switches.