Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 01-03-2001, 08:07 PM   #1
G.W.

Assume you are going to make a true class character which you won't/can't dual class later so forget that distinction (bard is one I'm thinking of). Would you make it human or half elf? Half elves apparently have some resistance to sleep and charm. But I don't know if they have any better saving throws. In fact, they may be worse. Any one know?

Old 01-03-2001, 08:16 PM   #2
Axis

Read you manual.

Old 01-03-2001, 09:00 PM   #3
G.W.

What a jerk-off reply. You don't even know--the manual doesn't tell you what saving throws different races have!

Old 01-03-2001, 09:03 PM   #4
Armisael

Go with the half-elf. Generally speaking, non-human races have better resistances and saving throws than humans. The difference between a human and a half-elf is pretty minimal - not sure if there's a difference at all in terms of throws - but the resistance to charm and sleep counts for something.

Old 01-03-2001, 10:13 PM   #5
omegadawn
Welcomed New User

Half-elf for sure. According to ad&d books you get 30% restistance to sleep and charm effects. Plus infravision( like it matters). And probably other bonuses I dont remember. Since you have no stat penalties and only two class exclusions( paladin and monk according to the strat. guide) its a better choice than human for a true classed character.
Old 01-03-2001, 10:30 PM   #6
Zoratorak
Welcomed New User

hmm... but what if you want to be duel class... that is what a human can do. (opps ok... no duel class eh..)

well i guess half-elf for me... its better for the magic resistance and stuff... the only thing i dont understand in the game is why they even have infravision... it never works for me ... just brighten your monitor and you can see everything.
Old 01-03-2001, 10:32 PM   #7
Helm-guard

In the game half-elf is good when you want a multiclass without the Dual-class humans have to go through, They get no bonus or negative attributes on their primes 30% charm and sleep like mention above.

If you talking PNP AD&D Half-elf is my favorite race, They can pass in Human lands, Minor comesmitic changes and he can pass as an elf.

Old 01-03-2001, 11:49 PM   #8
Curdis

For a bard - Half Elf, they get a 10% racial bonus on pick pocket, plus all the other stuff. - Curdis

Old 01-04-2001, 03:13 AM   #9
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Because there are no racial level restrictions in BG2 if you play a demihuman there are a lot of racial advantages to playing classes that that particular race is suited to. In P&P demihumans are held back by the leveling restrictions.