Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 01-17-2003, 04:43 AM   #11
Davros
Takhisis Follower

Quote:
Originally posted by MagiK:
Do you folk down under actually use this instead of asprin for pain relief? Just curious, there is currently an ad in the DC area claiming that you all have been using this "Wonder drug" for centuries.

Inquiring Minds want to know. (I don't care what you say, Im sticking with Ibuprofin and Asprin)
Hello enquiring minds

Personally, I use paracetamol - like most every other Aussie does.

Just have to add my name to the growing list of Aussies that have never heard of this wonder drug of yours. I wonder if there is in fact any emu at all in this emu oil (apart from the title that is).

Seems to be the month for coming across "information of dubiuos origin" on this wonderful country of ours. You should pay a visit sometime Magik and have a look at the place for yourself. Tell you what - I will even shout you and your good lady out to dinner in Perth if you ever make it across - dinky di - no subtitle - honest offer.

You could even have the emu if you want - but I would recommend the steak or the seafood instead. Just to forewarn you - you will find that the salad will arrive with the meal, and that the butter will be a strange yellow colour .
Old 01-17-2003, 05:11 AM   #12
Davros
Takhisis Follower

Hmmmm - seems that there is genuine emu's in emu oil, and emu's come from Australia - but all the emu farms that I have come across on the web are in the US of A. So far I have come across marketing statements like "9 out of 10 Australians" etc, and "From the dreamtime, Australian aborigines have known ...". The only other mentions I have seem of OZ are in the bottle sizes (ie 2 oz, 4 oz) that you can buy (gosh darn it - I thought we wuz livin in a metric country).

Looking at the addresses of the farms I get Noo Joisey, Pennsylvania, Georgia, Arizona, Texas, Tennessee, Kansas, GA (is that Georgia again - that looks like where your super blue stuff comes from), ...... Heck, there are a million of them And an American Emu Association that is over 1700 strong.

I ain't come across any Aussie producers yet, but I sure hope there are 1 or 2 in the bowels of the Earth (oops - wrong place for septic tank jokes ).

So yes Magik - there is Emu in emu oil - no, we Aussies don't use it, and on the stregnth of what I have seen from about 50 websites, it is an American "thang". They all seem to be using the same advertising approach for the oil of the emu as that taken by the shysters who used to sell the oil of the snake.

Does it work? You will have to tell me - doesn't look like I am going to be able to readily buy any in my local stores [img]smile.gif[/img] . If you find out the answer - please let us know. "Enquiring minds want to know"
Old 01-17-2003, 07:00 AM   #13
GokuZool
Lord Ao

Emu oil? [img]tongue.gif[/img] BLUE emu oil? Never heard of it!
Old 01-17-2003, 07:14 AM   #14
Donut
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by Davros:

Do you know why they don't use aspirin in Australia?

Because parrots eat 'em all!

I'll get me coay!
[img]\"http://www.wheatsheaf.freeserve.co.uk/roastspurs.gif\" alt=\" - \" /> <br />Proud member of the Axis of Upheaval<br />Official Titterer of the Laughing Hyenas<br />Josiah Bartlet - the best President the US never had.<br />The 1st D in the D & D Show
Old 01-17-2003, 07:23 AM   #15
Davros
Takhisis Follower

It's a real bugger when you double post things isn't it - I just did it myself

[ 01-17-2003, 07:29 AM: Message edited by: Davros ]
Old 01-17-2003, 07:28 AM   #16
Davros
Takhisis Follower

Quote:
Originally posted by Donut:
quote:

I'll get me coay!
[/QUOTE]That's the worst joke I have seen this arvo - no wait - I saw a joke as bad as that yesterday - and Monday arvo - nope - it could have been Tuesday

Now where is that coat (presume that you just slipped a typo in there) - and where is my pint of cider

[ 01-17-2003, 07:34 AM: Message edited by: Davros ]
Old 01-17-2003, 07:29 AM   #17
Borvik
Drow Warrior

As for the results on this board, nobody in Australia seems to know this fabulous medicine. Are you sure MagiK, it's AUSTRALIA they are talking about in the ad? Couldn't it be AUSTRIA? [img]graemlins/hehe.gif[/img]
Old 01-17-2003, 07:34 AM   #18
Donut
Jack Burton

Quote:
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Donut:
quote:

I'll get me coay!
[/QUOTE]That's the worst joke I have seen this arvo - no wait - I saw a joke as bad as that yesterday - and Monday arvo - nope - it could have been Tuesday

Now where is that coat (presume that you just slipped a typo in there) - and where is my pint of cider
[/QUOTE]
[/QUOTE]A coay is a rare breed of parrot found only on the island of Shullbitter in the pacific.Like the subtitles BTW.
[img]\"http://www.wheatsheaf.freeserve.co.uk/roastspurs.gif\" alt=\" - \" /> <br />Proud member of the Axis of Upheaval<br />Official Titterer of the Laughing Hyenas<br />Josiah Bartlet - the best President the US never had.<br />The 1st D in the D & D Show
Old 01-17-2003, 07:36 AM   #19
Davros
Takhisis Follower

Last time I looked Borvik - there weren't mant Emu's in Austria - then again ..... I didn't think there would be so many of the dang things in the US of A [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 01-17-2003, 07:45 AM   #20
Donut
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by Borvik:
As for the results on this board, nobody in Australia seems to know this fabulous medicine. Are you sure MagiK, it's AUSTRALIA they are talking about in the ad? Couldn't it be AUSTRIA? [img]graemlins/hehe.gif[/img]
never seen an Austrian Emu - of any colour. It's an American product - akin to snake oil.