Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 09-29-2005, 11:49 PM   #1
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

This has to be the worst product ever made. I'm sick to death of its constant dropouts, low connection speed (it's supposed to connect to my WiFi card at 54Mbps but after about 5mins it drops down to 1-2Mbps, that's even slower than my cable connection!!) and its complete lack of documentation. The constant dropouts and slow signal speed are REALLY annoying - I have to constantly close down and reopen my browser window, which fixes it for about five minutes before the problem happens again.

To make things worse, you can't access the router settings screen unless you have a current connection, so I have to keep on using my ethernet cable to guarantee a stable connection. The router is less than 4 feet away from my laptop but it still continues to drop out. I've upgraded the firmware to the latest version and it hasn't changed anything.

It's an absolute joke, I thought my D-Link wireless router was annoying to use but it was heaven compared to this piece of rubbish. It's annoying to keep having my vpn connection to my school network and internet connection keep dropping out and having to keep on reconnecting/relaunching things. It's the last thing you want when you have urgent assignments and things due.

If anyone else is using this, could they let me know if there's any solution to this, or can anyone recommend a better wireless router to use? After tonight I'm just about prepared to chuck this thing in the bin and buy something else. [img]graemlins/madhell.gif[/img]

Memnoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2005, 11:51 PM   #2
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Check this out...in the time it took to type that out (3min 15 secs), my connection speed (between WiFi card and router) went down from 54Mbps to 11Mbps. And since I've been typing THIS post, it's gone down to 3Mbps. I'd better Add Reply quickly otherwise I'll drop out again...this is bollocks!!

Old 09-29-2005, 11:54 PM   #3
Hivetyrant
Jack Burton

I know you shouldnt have to, but do you have any kind of temporary alternative?
Hivetyrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2005, 11:57 PM   #4
Chewbacca
Zartan

Weird. We use that router and it works like a charm. It's in the basement and the computers that are networked to it are upstairs- atleast 10 feet away and through the wood floor. We always get a strong signal, but my wife reports drop-outs on occasion. The laptop and PSP never fail to connect, even way out in the yard.

Maybe you got a defect?
Old 09-30-2005, 12:07 AM   #5
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

What firmware are you at, Chewy? I'm seriously getting so sick of this. Are you using Comcast Cable?

Hive, I guess I could use the ethernet cable to connect each time, but that kind of defeats the purpose of having a wireless connection, eh.

Old 09-30-2005, 12:08 AM   #6
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Also, are you using Norton Internet Security? That's another annoying bloody program. My next rant will be on that.

Old 09-30-2005, 12:53 AM   #7
Chewbacca
Zartan

Screw Norton dude! I've had nothing but bad experiences with that software over the years. I use AVAST(FREE), plus Zone Alarm Pro and Counterspy plus others just to be sure.

The router has whatever firmware that came new from the box 3 months ago. I forget the thingy's IP address to configure it and forget where I put it. You got that number? Tell me and I'll check.

And yes, we have Comcast. It has always been very fast and reliable for us, in both locations around here where we have subscibed.
Old 09-30-2005, 12:56 AM   #8
T-D-C
Ironworks Moderator

Which version of NAV are you using. Perhaps I can help you out with that ?
Old 09-30-2005, 02:59 PM   #9
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Tim, I'm using the latest version of NIS, 2005. The thing that really annoys me is how it starts to create all these rules without my knowing it, because programs that used to work (eg my VPN connection, my POP email from People Telecom) will all of a sudden not work, and will only work if I switch off my firewall. I'm getting sick of constantly switching off my firewall just to receive email or log into my VPN server, surely I shouldn't have to do that?? [img]graemlins/awcrap.gif[/img]

Old 09-30-2005, 03:30 PM   #10
Thoran
Galvatron

I've got the wrt54gs... I had the exact same problems. I'd have my laptop 5 feet away from the router... 5 FRIGGIN FEET, and it would still drop the connection every couple minutes.

I got so pissed I shut the damn wireless off and installed a gigabit wired net though the house.

And you can bet your ass I didn't buy Linksys... nor will I EVER AGAIN.
Thoran is offline   Reply With Quote