Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 08-23-2002, 01:58 PM   #61
Tancred
White Dragon

Quote:
Originally posted by Attalus:
Another nit that has been picked (not by anyone here that I recall) is Arwen's role. Now, the part of Arwen is as canonical as any of the rest, it is just in the Appendix ("The Story of Aragon and Arwen") instead of TFotR. What bothers some people is putting her instead of Glorfindel in the rescue of Frodo just before the Fight at the Fords of Bruinen. Now, I love Glorfindel as well as the next, but getting more screen time for the stunning Liv Tyler was a real plus for the movie. Again, I think it added to the dramatic tension, and I got tears when she asked that he get her place on the Last Ship.
Plus, from a completely cinematic view; Having Glorfindel in there would mean one of two things - one, that they'd have had to explain who he was before he appeared, and two, that they'd have had to extend his role to explain who he was later. Because really Glorfindel - though a mighty Elf Lord of the First Age and a serious badass, is at the very best completely incidental.

Arwen, on the other hand, has a much greater role all of a sudden... it is she who brings Aragorn the reforged Narsil in time for the War, instead of her brothers bringing her banner (you all might notice it wasn't reforged in the first film!). I think they're trying to minimise the amount of stuff that happens in one film that mainly affects another, so folks who hadn't seen 'Fellowship' (whoever they might be - visiting alien dignitaries, perhaps?) won't be TOO left behind.
Old 08-23-2002, 03:03 PM   #62
Attalus
Symbol of Bane

Quote:
Originally posted by Cloudbringer:
I love the Hobbits, CD! They add a wonderful, earthy, easygoing and 'human' spirit to things! Their antics were also needed to show that all was not dire and lost, but HOPE existed...and that's a pretty huge part of the theme in LoTR...tough little guys and gals, those Hobbits [img]smile.gif[/img]
Cloudy, I couldn't agree more. It has often commented that without the hobbits, with their more down-to-earth sensibilities, LOTR might be unreadable. See The Sillmarillion for example. It is, as one of my college instructors remarked, "too elvish." And, and, as for Liv Tyler, any normal man that doesn't find her easy on the eyes must have stopped breathing.