Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-18-2002, 11:44 AM   #41
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

I've never broken anything, but I've got scars on my back after ending up on the wrong side of a ruck playing rugby. For those of you who don't know, in rugby when you tackle someone and they fall to the ground, they have to release the ball on the ground and you are meant to roll away so that the ball can come free to be picked up, the problem is you want to slow the ball down so that your teammates can come get it before his (so you cause a turnover). So I sort of lay on top of this guy for about 3 seconds trying to slow him down but he rolled away from me and released the ball right as about 3 of his forwards (guys weighing 110+ kg) all got there. Since I was caught on the wrong side of the ruck I was essentially treated as a piece of the ground, and the only way to get a ball from a ruck is by using your boots, so I got hammered by all these boots coming down on my back, head, and shoulders. All you can do is roll into a ball and cover your head. When I finally came out of there my jersey was shredded and I couldn't lie on my back for about 3 days.

Old 05-19-2002, 05:21 AM   #42
Sigmar
Unicorn

Well nothing too serious at all, but here's my list.

I've cracked my skull while playing rugby (nothing big at all)
I've got a 5-inch nail go right through my foot (don't worry I went absailing later in the same day).
I've hurt my back while rowing (a sprain or something I don't remember).
I've lost feeling in my left arm for about 2 days while I had slammed against a rock during absailing (this came with a couple of small scratches, again no biggy).
Finally I once performed an Angel dive (this was stupid)off a large rock in one f the beaches here in Gibraltar only to find out when I hit the water that there was a large rock underneath. (This resulted in scratches covering my chest along with some bruises, only a few small scars came from this event though).

Nothing serious but I think thats because I've been lucky in each case.
Old 05-19-2002, 05:31 AM   #43
lroyo

Quote:
Originally posted by Memnoch:
I've never broken anything, but I've got scars on my back after ending up on the wrong side of a ruck playing rugby. For those of you who don't know, in rugby when you tackle someone and they fall to the ground, they have to release the ball on the ground and you are meant to roll away so that the ball can come free to be picked up, the problem is you want to slow the ball down so that your teammates can come get it before his (so you cause a turnover). So I sort of lay on top of this guy for about 3 seconds trying to slow him down but he rolled away from me and released the ball right as about 3 of his forwards (guys weighing 110+ kg) all got there. Since I was caught on the wrong side of the ruck I was essentially treated as a piece of the ground, and the only way to get a ball from a ruck is by using your boots, so I got hammered by all these boots coming down on my back, head, and shoulders. All you can do is roll into a ball and cover your head. When I finally came out of there my jersey was shredded and I couldn't lie on my back for about 3 days.
Hmmm, and they call Rugby Union the Gentleman's Game?????

Old 05-19-2002, 05:34 AM   #44
Beaumanoir
Iron Throne Cult

Slit My Wrist By Putting It Through A Window Trying To Keep Lavindathar Out Of The House. MM Away From My Artery, Huge Scar. Bout 3 - 4 Years Ago And I Still Can't Move My Hand Properly. Don't Like To Talk About It, Lavi Will Tell You.
Old 05-19-2002, 05:46 AM   #45
Glorfindel
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Quote:
Originally posted by Aviendha:
My worst is a broken scaphoid bone after a nasty sporting accident. I've got a steel bit in my wrist now to hold it all together!
What is a Scaphoid bone?!?!?!?!
Old 05-19-2002, 06:47 AM   #46
lroyo

Quote:
Originally posted by Glorfindel:
quote:
Originally posted by Aviendha:
My worst is a broken scaphoid bone after a nasty sporting accident. I've got a steel bit in my wrist now to hold it all together!
What is a Scaphoid bone?!?!?!?![/QUOTE]It's one of many bones in your wrist. Unfortuantely, it doesn't heal by itself very easily so I had to have an operation.

Old 05-19-2002, 01:38 PM   #47
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
Quote:
Originally posted by Lanesra:
I lost my head in an argument once
well.......? You got it back already ?
Old 05-19-2002, 02:15 PM   #48
Grand-Ranger
Galvatron

Location: Everywhere I wanna go its already where I am,cause I am already there
Well the most serrious I have ever had was on a 4 wheller accident. I hit something going to fast, flew off, rolled a good 7 feet with 4 wheller flying right above me. I got up dazed and saw my hand was bleeding fercley. Went and told mom (That was the hardest thing ) almost lost my left ring finger. Had to get 6 stiches in my hand. As well as a nice big scar on my leg.

And then when I was 4 or 5 I was trying to get the cat that happened to walk behind the trashcan and I walked past the trashbag to get him and cut my leg wide open No Stiches time though.

Thats about it for serrious injurys though. However, I start playing Ice Hocker next fall, so I am sure I will get some to add to the list

Oh and I almost broke my back on the trapoline once. Me and my cousens wear playing this game we created, but for the sake of brecity I wont go into the rules.

Anyway, I jumped up to catch the ball and thought I had more room then I did and I went down on my back, I hit the bar on the edge and filped to the ground. I landed stright up, and it didnt hurt at the time, but I found it quite hard to sit up straight for a while [img]smile.gif[/img]

[ 05-19-2002, 02:21 PM: Message edited by: Grand-Ranger ]
Old 05-19-2002, 03:02 PM   #49
Moni

Well unbelievably enough, I have no plates, pins, or staples holding me together lol.

Let's start with before I could walk...my sister and some neighbor friends were "helping" me jump on a bed, only it wasn't a mattress, it was a set of box springs and the cloth tore, my leg went into the springs and broke my lower leg and ankle (on a growth plate).
I had to wear a cast up to my hip and then a brace. I have a distinct sound to my walk now since one leg is slightly shorter than the other (as do most people who have broken their legs as kids or people who wear prosthetic legs) and one of my feet is a half size smaller than the other...nothing a pad in the heel of the bigger shoe can't fix.

When I was 9, my brother threw a rock off a three story cliff that landed square on the top of my head, giving me three nice cracks in my skull and a serious concussion. Not only did it cause some brain damage (I still have problems with retaining information) but it caused some serious emotional trauma to my friends at school who were told by a neighbor kid that I had died and that my mother (the local witch) had burned my body so there was no funeral. You should have seen kids scream and run or break down and cry when I went back to school a month later LOL. I made the kid who spread the rumor tell everyone it was a lie so that they would quit thinking I was a ghost, or worse, a zombie. [img]tongue.gif[/img]

When I was 11, I fell off of the back of a (moving) pick-up truck and fractured bones in my hand, my arm, my neck, and my spine, cracked a shoulder blade and broke my collar-bone. The nurse in the X-ray room at the ER picked me up and dropped me flat onto the X-ray table because it ticked her off that I couldn't get up off the guerney. I was paralyzed from the neck down until she sat me back up.
All they set was the broken collar bone (they didn't even X-ray my hand) and ever since I've ben able to tell by the pain in my spine whenever the temperature hits 67 degrees.
I've also got slightly crooked bones in my hand and can't straighten out my pinky finger but it is not noticable until I try to type using it, lol...it has nerve damage and does what it wants when I try to force it, so I don't use it.

Edit: I had forgotten about this one lol...Right after I got the brace off my collarbone, I was hit by a go-cart while riding my bicycle...I went over the go-cart and landed on the street, arms extended and hands first...my shoulder gave instantly but didn't break again...instead I crashed to the pavement onto my chin, cutting it open and crushing all but my front teeth (4 top and 4 bottom) into my face. It took a dentist three months to pull out all the splintered slivers and rebuild my first molars. I had 6 titches in my chin and a bruise of many colors that went all the way across my face to my ear for months...as it faded away, the last of the bruise was a green streak on my chin that strangers would mistake for a grass stain lol. I got the first molars all pulled when I was 18 and got great dental rates in exchange for all the silver. [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Oh yeah...the next summer, I went to a friend's house with my sister and brother. Our arrival interrupted a game of croquet she was playing with her visiting cousins and one of them got really mad about their game being stopped.
While we were sitting in a circle in the grass talking, he stood up, put his croquet ball on the ground with the mallot behind it and told me, "I'm going to hit you with this!"
I laughed and said "No you're not!" but I was wrong...he whacked the ball straight into my face breaking the bottom inner corners off of my two front teeth. I was one of the first people in the U.S. to have my teeth rebuilt by bonding and back then it was good stuff...the rebuild looked natural and lasted right through me getting my teeth pulled to have dentures made after the incident described below.

When I was 24 I was a passenger in a pick-up truck that hit a tree head-on. From that, I got a fractured sternum, the front of one side of my rib cage crushed, the back of the same side of my rib cage broken away from my spine...a punctured lung, a ruptured stomach, a lacerated liver, severe whiplash, ruptured sinuses, broken teeth, the bone in my right leg (just below the knee) got cracked, I got a displaced kidney and the "rearranging" of other internal organs...somewhere here at IW is the story in a thread. Its a pretty good story if you want to look it up, esp since I had to recover with no medical attention (beyond X-rays) whatsoever.
Here's The Thread

Then when I was 30 or so, I walked into my shed barefoot and in the dark and walked into a windshield-wiper motor that I had knocked into the floor earlier that day, breaking numerous bones in my right foot and tearing or stretching every tendon and ligament in it.
It took me over a year to be able to walk without shoes and I used a cane for three years.
I still can't wear heavy shoes because the weight pulls on my achilles tendon and re-injures that injury causing great amounts of pain all the way up to my hip...it only took one try with "heavy" shoes to learn that one lol so in-line skates are a no-no and the vibrations in a skateboard take that sport off my list of fun things to do as well.

There are plenty of others, burns, cuts requiring stitches, broken/dislocated fingers & knuckles and the like but they all seem pretty petty in comparison to what I've listed.

Believe it or not though...everything "works" with the exception of one kidney and the pinky finger...the broken teeth have been replaced with dentures.

[ 05-22-2002, 12:57 AM: Message edited by: Moni ]

Old 05-19-2002, 04:38 PM   #50
lroyo

OK, I think Moni has successfully made all other posts in this thread obsolete. I am surprised you can still be found amongst the living and for that I will say "You're one tough cookie, but stay out of pick-up trucks"

Aviendha.