Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 09-07-2001, 03:49 PM   #41
Moni

Quote:
Originally posted by Cloudbringer:
[B]
Someone (in msn) told me that people were doing that on purpose. IE: holding 'serious, HOT topic discussions" in POLLS to avoid offending people here in GD! I was bpothered for one reason: GD was MADE for such things as well as the fluff and I wondered if this person was right. Were people holding those debates/discussions there INSTEAD of GD for that reason? Or was it just a simple matter of where one happened to be when a topic came up? Same idea, though. It's happening elsewhere, not in GD, so we have,[b] de facto, a separate forum already!

For the record, I can count on ONE hand and have fingers left over, the number of times I've brought forum related things up with our Webmaster in my time here at IW. In fact, other than informing him of troll activity and asking about private messaging or chat, I'd have to say that this is the ONLY time I've made upgrade suggestions! And in any case, I put forth ALL options when I suggest things to Z, so 'player' or 'participant', I never forcefeed ANYONE my views. I offer them as options and point to what I prefer.

Cloudy, glad that it's Friday and she goes home in 15 minutes

A) The User Created Polls has moderators who have the power to move threads that are deemed as "not polls".

B) No one ever said your forcefed your ideas on Z! That would be assuming Ziroc can be led by the nose by his friends and moderators here and I for one, do not think he is that weak!

Have a safe trip home.

------------------

You know childhood is over when a puddle seems like an obstacle instead of an opportunity.

Is Too! Is Not! Is Too! Is Not!

[This message has been edited by Moni (edited 09-07-2001).]

Old 09-07-2001, 04:02 PM   #42
MILAMBER
Lord Soth

I just want to point out that in most of the threads that are being considered controversial, most of the people involved more or less smoothed things over toward the end. In some cases you are just not going to be able to convince the other party that you are right, so the only thing you can do is agree to disagree. Also in all of these cases like Memnoch pointed out, there was not much in the way of personal attacks. It was all directed towards the topic at hand.

For the most part everybody behave very civily on this forum. That is why there are so many loyal members of the community. This is something that wont change. If you see something that you don't like occasionaly, either ignore it, or let your opinion be known in a civil manner that you disagree.

I don't like everything that I see in the course of the day, yet I realize that there is nothing that I can do about it in most cases, so I simply ignore it. I do the same here.

------------------
"The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his."
-General George Patton (1885-1945)

Member of CLAN HADB
Old 09-07-2001, 04:07 PM   #43
Father Bronze
Baaz Draconian

I'd just like to add regarding the initial post:

I've been a member here since, well before there was a General Discussions forum. And I've noticed that the "seriousness" of the GD forum is like a rolling wave. Sometimes it's a really big deal. At other times it's barely worth dodging the spalsh.

I think we're riding one of those "really big waves" right now. Sure there are a lot of serious discussions. A month ago, not so many. A few months before that, quite a few. It just varies. This too shall come to pass.

------------------
Most Subtle Official Straightman of the Laughing Hyenas -- Grammarian Brigade.
Old 09-07-2001, 04:16 PM   #44
Lioness
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by WOLFGIR:
Anyone here owns a TV?? I do, when I see something on that TV I donīt like, I switch the channel. IW is like a TV , alot of nice people and very different people. YOu canīt love all, but you are in control of everything, since you can choose not to respond or not read that wich you donīt like. However under the guidelines of IW there are some basic rules that tries to make one point certain: We are all here because we like it and want to have fun and exchange ideas in a friendly manner.

Memnochs statement fromn Voltaire is a great guideline. WE come from all over the world here and yet we have only had a few mishaps so far. That is great IMHO.

Political? Well why not. We discuss the bible and religion, best things to do during a powerfailure. So why not politics. One donīt like it, one donīt have to read it and one donīt have to post there!

A friend of mine said something really funny about this when another friend got an ugly T-shirt with some ad for a video game.
"Just because you get a T-shirt, doesnīt mean that you HAVE to wear it!"

(He didnīt say thoose exact words since he spoke swedish at the time being! )
Wolfgir, you rock!!!
I totally agree. When I see a thread that is political, even if I have to open it to read it, I just ignore it. It's not that I have anything against politics but I am simply not interested in them. Liliara, if you have a problem with these topics just skip them. I think many political(and religious, etc) threads are very in-depth, intellectual, and interesting for some. Let them discuss this is if they want.

------------------

Sword Saint of the HADB Clan
Waitress and entertainer at Cloudy's Cafe
Lil' Angel
Old 09-07-2001, 11:04 PM   #45
Liliara
Red Wizard of Thay

Thank you for your responses to this post. Also, for the support some of you have shown me in not leaving the board. (I can't say it didn't cross my mind)

I for one, if it matters, support a seperate forum for heated debates. This way, if I don't want to, I won't even have to know they are going on. Not that I like to be oblivious to what's going on, but unfortunately I have to deal with these things all day, and it would be nice to not have them thrown in my face in a place where I come to relax.

------------------
Old 09-07-2001, 11:19 PM   #46
John D Harris
Ninja Storm Shadow

Quote:
Originally posted by Liliara:
I for one, if it matters, support a seperate forum for heated debates. This way, if I don't want to, I won't even have to know they are going on. Not that I like to be oblivious to what's going on, but unfortunately I have to deal with these things all day, and it would be nice to not have them thrown in my face in a place where I come to relax.

Liliara, I too would support a debate forum (as if that comes as a suprise). I like to debate, it's fun and I could be wrong (I didn't just say that out loud did I?). There are some of the members that views are polar opposite to mine, and have good agruments that cause me to think (no comments from the nickel bleachers ). But to each their own.

------------------

"the memories of a man in his old age,
are deeds of a man in his prime"
Old 09-07-2001, 11:22 PM   #47
Sir Taliesin
Silver Dragon

I can sorta understand having a Serious Discussions forum, but really I agree with Cloudy. I like it just the way it is now. If you start to read something you don't like, move on. I enjoy reading the serious polls, though I don't always agree with most opinions here. Father Bronze is right about these things coming in waves.

------------------
Sir Taliesin

If they take my gun can I still use my Axe?
Old 09-08-2001, 04:08 AM   #48
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

In waves they come. Cyclic it is. When a topic is discussed to extreme, it's participants are highly unlikely to start from scratch again.

------------------
I am the walrus!.... er, no hang on....

A fair dinkum laughing Hyena!
Old 09-08-2001, 08:01 AM   #49
Fljotsdale
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

I think it would be a great pity to have a separate 'serious discussions' forum. The one at Mithril Hall is pretty boring. No-one just drops in casually on a thread and stops to add his/her comments, and possibly get involved in something they hadn't dreamed of.

Separation is a BAD idea, imo.

------------------

Old 09-08-2001, 08:06 AM   #50
Melusine
Dracolisk

Quote:
Originally posted by Fljotsdale:
I think it would be a great pity to have a separate 'serious discussions' forum. The one at Mithril Hall is pretty boring. No-one just drops in casually on a thread and stops to add his/her comments, and possibly get involved in something they hadn't dreamed of.

Separation is a BAD idea, imo.

I completely disagree about the SD forum on the Mithril Hall, F. I think it has very good threads sometimes, and good discussions. However I do agree I would hate to see the same structure on the IW forum. Like I just posted to another thread, I love the fact that we get such a huge variety of topics here, serious and silly and everything in between. If you dislike political/serious deiscussions, simply stay away from those threads! It's not like that is such a hard thing to do right? Similarly, some people dislike chit-chat and spam, and they would know better than to click on a thread called "Bunny"

------------------
Melusine, High Queen of Fluffies, Archbabe of the OHF, the LH
and the HADB &
Sultry Elflet

Your voice is ambrosia
Amy Brown Fantasy Art