Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 10-26-2002, 03:09 AM   #1
judee
Dungeon Master

Okay, I made a Bard mainly because I wanted the Lore and to try out the instruments and bard songs, etc. Besides, I just like bards. [img]smile.gif[/img] btw, I'm playing all three from scratch, so the bard has all the attributes of the expansion.

But my Bard was also to replace a mage. I figured she would get enough mage spells, to use in a pinch, granted not powerful like a full mage, but then I already had a cleric and a druid, so I felt bard would round it out magic wise.

Now, I know the bard can't cast in armor, but I also know she can use wands, etc. and I just assumed for some reason that she would be able to wear some mage robes for extra protection in situations where she needed to use magic.

Apparently not. I guess she could use armor spells, but then that uses up precious spell slots. Has anyone found any kind of armor/robe that a bard can wear and still use magic? This just seems a bit unbalanced to me - the only way she can cast spells in battle is to be completely vulnerable?

Surely there is something I've overlooked? Any suggestions are welcome, cause I'm not changing her, but would still like to take advantage of some of those spells.

Thanks,
judee
judee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2002, 04:24 AM   #2
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

Elven Mail. Look out for them in the Severed Hand.
Dundee Slaytern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2002, 06:04 AM   #3
pritchke
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

No, you don't really need armor, you can get some decent, cloaks, hoods, rings, and amulets to boost the bards armour class. Plus keep a couple stone skins available in your spell slots. The spell last over 8 hrs and nothing can really touch you until it wears off either through time, or beaten off.
pritchke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2002, 02:03 AM   #4
judee
Dungeon Master

Thanks! I feel better knowing I will at least be able to find some items that will help AC.

judee
judee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2002, 04:43 PM   #5
CursedShadow
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Regarding the Elven Armor in the Severed Hand....I thought I explored that area to the fullest yet I didn't come across this item. Does it appear in exactly the same spot each time or is it a random occurrence?
CursedShadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2002, 05:12 PM   #6
pritchke
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

-
-
-
-
-
-
It is a random item found on the body of the elven fighter. She is the one who ask you to kill all her fighters upstairs. After that she thanks you and you have to kill her. Sometimes you will receive a special ring or bow I believe. The thing is the name of the armor is not elven chainmail but some other name. I think you have to read the description to see that it is elven chainmail. I was confused when I first heard of elven chainmail as well. I am like what are they all talking about. When I found out were the item was found I was like Oh, that armor. I had been using it on my ranger and he could still use his stealth ability.

[ 10-28-2002, 05:14 PM: Message edited by: pritchke ]
pritchke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2002, 05:42 PM   #7
Lord Brass
Emerald Dragon

I think that it's just listed as 'Chainmail Armour'; you only get the details when you ID it, but it is still called by that name.
Old 10-28-2002, 06:13 PM   #8
Peytin of Rothmire
Manshoon

It is just called 'Chainmail armor' found specifically on Kaylessa. The item description says it can't be worn by druids or mages. I have it on my bard, now in HOW. Has anyone tried it on a mage? I heard through the rumour mill that they can wear it, but I never tried. This is a random thing SO... save before you enter the tower(or maybe just the level she is on) as supposedly the random items are generated when you first start a map. In other words, you may need to play through it several times before she drops the armor. I got the bow the first time and was long gone before I realized how the whole random items thing works.
Peytin of Rothmire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2002, 01:13 PM   #9
CursedShadow
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Arrrgggghh! If it was labelled Chainmail Armor +1, I think I sold it when I got back to town. I suppose I can buy it back for four times what I sold it for if I want.
CursedShadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2002, 01:54 PM   #10
Jim
Quintesson

You can find 2 suits of Elven Chain in the Severed Hand.

Spoilers
The suit found on Kaylessa is elven chain +3 with the following properties:

Name: Chainmail Armour
AC: 2
Dex: +1
Resist Cold 20%

The second suit is found in AR5203, in the room where you engage the elven priests and acolytes. In a chest at the upper part of the room you can find:

Name: Elven Chainmail of the Hand +3
AC: 2
Resist Cold 20%

Obviously it would therefore be more beneficial to get Kaylessa's armour. Both of these are random however, with at least 3 other items that can be found in the chest and on Kaylessa's corpse.
Jim is offline   Reply With Quote