Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Miscellaneous Games (RPG or not)

Old 05-23-2006, 01:28 AM   #1
Aelia Jusa
Iron Throne Cult

Tetris Champion
I have an open easy lock spell, but my alteration is way too low to cast it. So I'm deciding whether to get some training in alteration so I can cast it, but I want to know if it will be worth my while. Because I can open easy locks myself, no worries, with lockpicks.

So I would like to know, suppose I am trying to open a hard lock - can I cast open easy lock on it to secure 2 (or 1?) of the tumblers while I manually do the others? Or does it only work on easy locks - ie, if I cast it on an average or above lock it just wouldn't do anything?

Thanks [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 05-23-2006, 02:48 AM   #2
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Not sure. What I do know is that once you get the hang of opening locks, you can do any of them - hard or easy - with a single lockpick. Basically you hit them up and click your mouse button just as they hit the top and are going back down. Once you get the hand of it once you'll be able to do any of them. Kind of makes security useless as a skill. [img]graemlins/awcrap.gif[/img]

Memnoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 03:57 AM   #3
Kakero
40th Level Warrior

You can't opened a hard lock with a open easy lock spell ( nothing will happen even if you cast it ). Open easy lock spell will work on easy lock but not higher difficulty lock.

[ 05-23-2006, 03:58 AM: Message edited by: Kakero ]
Kakero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 04:18 PM   #4
Aelia Jusa
Iron Throne Cult

Tetris Champion
Thanks Kakero [img]smile.gif[/img] . Yeah, I know, Mem, and I open average locks that way, but it's so tedious that I was hoping to speed up the process a bit. Darn - in Wizardry 8 you could use a spell to open some tumblers; how annoying it doesn't work the same here.
Old 06-01-2006, 02:40 PM   #5
djp1021

no thats not all true. if you cast the open easy lock spell o the hard lock spell enough, your alteration will go up alot b/c it doesnt take much magic, you can use it over and over, and it doesnt actually open it so you sit there just letting your alteration go up. so overall, it is worth it for the low character. for a high char., it will probably take long for it to go up doing that. just another hint, go into oblivion and get a bunch of dremora hearts. then eat them. this gets your alchemy skill, i believe, up pretty fast.(there really is no point of an open average lock spell b/c an open hard lock opens that too. just a waste of money)
Old 06-01-2006, 05:02 PM   #6
Winterfell
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Open v. easy = novice
open easy = apprentice
Open average = journeyman
Open Hard = Expert
Open V. Hard = Master

Oh yeah and if you want your skill in alteration to go up use feather not open it got me right the way to master using feather 100 for 100 seconds.

Old 06-01-2006, 06:12 PM   #7
Kakero
40th Level Warrior

Or you could just do one of the daedric quest and get an instant 100 points in security plus a skeleton key.
Kakero is offline   Reply With Quote