Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 07-02-2001, 08:33 PM   #1
Shadow
Manshoon

Whats easier?

BG1 or BG2?

I think that BG1 was easier because everyones mind was so easily Charm Personed.

I can hardly charm anyone in BG2!

------------------
The Black Killer
Old 07-02-2001, 11:56 PM   #2
BlackAssassin
Zhentarim Guard

And the time of charm/domination is shortened significantly. When the load screen is showing it tells you in the hints.

------------------
ShadowMaster of the Theives of Darkness.

[]####[]::::::>
Old 07-03-2001, 10:40 AM   #3
Draggor
Zhentarim Guard

BG1 was easier. No wizards with death spells, no mind flayers that suck your brains out through your nose.

------------------
WAAAAGGGGHHHHH!!!!!
Old 07-03-2001, 12:11 PM   #4
onthepequod
Quintesson

Quote:
Originally posted by Draggor:
BG1 was easier. No wizards with death spells, no mind flayers that suck your brains out through your nose.

True, but then again in BGII you can summon skeleton warriors, Mordiken’s sword, Pit Fiends, etc. Not to mention spells like incendiary cloud, Albadzim’s (sp?) Horrid Wilting, etc…. And then with ToB installed you have access to Time Stop, etc….

I think they both pose difficulties. Yet I do believe that BGII has greater replay value.

------------------
Old 07-03-2001, 12:24 PM   #5
Waluin

Quote:
Originally posted by onthepequod:
True, but then again in BGII you can summon skeleton warriors, Mordiken’s sword, Pit Fiends, etc. Not to mention spells like incendiary cloud, Albadzim’s (sp?) Horrid Wilting, etc…. And then with ToB installed you have access to Time Stop, etc….

I think they both pose difficulties. Yet I do believe that BGII has greater replay value.

Agreed. Some of the spells that I have...oh man they make me giddy!! That, and I have ToB installed too. OOh, and the sword, aye

berry berry good game. I will most definitely try it with an evil party when I replay it. (or at least a differnet primary character, perhaps a paladin)
Old 07-03-2001, 01:29 PM   #6
Sigmar
Unicorn

I think bg1 is harder, you have less magic items to rely on. You actually had to use tatics in almost every fight(not the usual barge into room and kill people quickly tatic).It was just harder, a sword spider was deadly in bg1 but in 2 even bonegolems are a push over after a while.

------------------
"So why should I worship you Tiax?"
"Well Sigmar, I am Tiax the chosen one of Cyric, destined to ascend, I shall rule all!"
"Do you know you have a duck on your head?"
"Duck what duck......ahhhhhhhh!"

Tiax, warmaster of clan HADB
Old 07-03-2001, 01:50 PM   #7
onthepequod
Quintesson

Quote:
Originally posted by Waluin:
Agreed. Some of the spells that I have...oh man they make me giddy!! That, and I have ToB installed too.
I just installed ToB last night and can't wait until my Sorcerer can use those level 10 spells.

I am also thinking about playing the Wild Mage just to see the random effects and for no other reason.

------------------
Old 07-03-2001, 01:54 PM   #8
onthepequod
Quintesson

Quote:

I forgot to mention items like the staff of magi, which can make enemies like Mind Flayers a push over since you can kill them before they even know you are there.

------------------
Old 07-03-2001, 02:39 PM   #9
Shadow
Manshoon

Quote:

You cant cast those spells because you dont really need to.

------------------
The Black Killer
Old 07-03-2001, 03:02 PM   #10
Nerull
Lord Ao

I think that BG2 is harder, and should be. You may have access to stronger abilities, but so do your opponents. However, there are 2 factors that I see making BG2 harder than BG1:

1. You are limited to only 5 summons. One of the sure-fire tactics to handle any hard encounter in BG1 was to send a horde of creatures at the opponent; generally, you would keep the wizards pounding out summons while your party's archers picked apart the opponent. In the final fight with Sarevok, my computer was running at a snail's pace, due to all of the summons I had out! By limiting you to 5 summons, this forces your party to actually engage many of the harder opponents (i.e. forcing you to actually be heroic, instead of hiding behind your summons).

2. Most of the protective magics that make creatures harder in BG2 did not exist in BG1. Especially during the later parts of the game, you are spending more time knocking down opponent defenses than you are actually sending attack spells at the opponent. In BG1, you usually could just send your fighters in at a mage, hacking away at stuff like Mirror Image and Stoneskin until they fell. A couple of magic missiles from your wizards, and the opposing mage was toast. You can't do that in BG2; try that with a lich and see how quickly he Meteor Swarms you to death. You may also have access to these abilities for your character, but overall a duel between magic-users in BG2 involves more "mystical jousting" to tear down defenses, while in BG1 it was more "disrupt the other wizard before he casts."

Just my opinion, of course!

------------------

Death is only the beginning...