Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives

Old 05-30-2001, 07:17 PM   #1
Cybaslasher
Elite Waterdeep Guard

What weapon proficiencies can backstab?
Old 05-30-2001, 07:21 PM   #2
Accord
Ninja Storm Shadow

Long sword, short sword, dagger, katana, scimitar,.....ummmm not too sure about the rest, I heard you can backstab with a staff/club although I never tried it myself..... *sign*

------------------
Long live H22A1!!!!!
Old 06-02-2001, 04:58 AM   #3
Legolas the Elven Archer

AFAK you can backstap with any weapon the character can use, although I'm not sure about double-handed weapons and double handweapons

------------------
The last arrow of Legolas kindled in the air as it flew,
and plunged burning into the heart of a great wolf-chieftain.
All the others fled. -J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

Old 06-02-2001, 05:05 AM   #4
Leagle
Manshoon

Quote:
Originally posted by Legolas the Elven Archer:
AFAK you can backstap with any weapon the character can use
Melee, of course.
Old 06-02-2001, 06:42 AM   #5
Drawde1
The Magister

You can backstab with any melee weapon usable by thieves - it's not the weapon type that's important, just whether or not single-classed thieves can use it. So you can backstab with an ordinary quarterstaff for example, but not with the Staff of the Magi (used by a thief-mage like Jan or Nalia) as it can only be used by mages.
Old 06-02-2001, 06:44 AM   #6
Kerlyssa
Manshoon

Hmmm...anyone know why a certain famed halfling towards the end of the game keeps getting the 'can't backstab' message? Not that I'm complaining...
Old 06-02-2001, 08:00 AM   #7
Shadow
Manshoon

Hey, did you know you can backstab with a fist?

Use shadow keeper to make a monk/thief and backstab with fists!

------------------
The Black Killer
Old 06-02-2001, 12:02 PM   #8
dulouz
Manshoon

shouldn't there be benefits from nailing people with arrows or bolts from behind? maybe there are... are there?
Old 06-02-2001, 03:50 PM   #9
Drawde1
The Magister

If the halfling you are referring to is Regis in Drizzt's party, it's because he is wielding a mace, for some inexplicable reason! Just for fun I created a party by using the Drizzt custom character as the main PC, summoning and CTRL-Qing all his party members, then using Shadowkeeper to make their stats fairer (i.e a base AC of 10 not -5 or so!) For some reason Regis is carrying a +2 mace, even though single-class thieves are not even able to use them normally.
Maybe this was his weapon in the books, I don't know (all I know about the Forgotten Realms/AD&D world is from games, I'm afraid!).
Also, Drizzt has a DEX of 20 - is there a reason for this, since elves have a maximum DEX of 19?

On the subject of summoning and CTRL-Qing characters, you can get quite a lot of the BG1 ones this way, including Kivan, Garrick, Xzar, Quayle, Coran and Safana. Many of them even have their BG1 soundsets!