Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 11-15-2004, 10:16 AM   #1
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

There's this black dragon in Chult. I can't seem to kill him. He makes mince meat of my party, when they aren't busy running away.

Do I have to kill him? If not, how do I get around it? Can I kill him? What are some hints? What are his stats like? How can I keep away the dragon fear?

Is it just me or do the V3 rules make it a lot harder to kill dragons than it was in BGII?? What gives?

Thanks for any help.

ooops -- sorry. Important info. Party is:
Ranger
Druid
Mage
Cleric
Shield Dwarf
Thief

[ 11-15-2004, 10:18 AM: Message edited by: Timber Loftis ]
Old 11-15-2004, 10:41 AM   #2
Micah Foehammer
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

TL,

You are a little light on tank power so you are going to have to improvise. Your shield dwarf is going to need some help thumping on the dragon, so that means summoning spells are going to be very useful.

For spells, think about these:

Assuming a 13th level wizard - he gets spells 4/4/4/4/3/2/1 and we will assume an 18 intelligence so you can add 1/1/1/1 bonus spells making the total 5/5/5/5/3/2/1.

I would break them out as follows:
1st level: Shield,
2nd level: Cat's grace x2, Mirror Image, Invisibility
3rd level: Lightning bolt x5
4th level: Stoneskin x2; Emotion-Hope, Improved Invisibility x2
5th level: Lower Resistance x3
6th level: Mass Haste, Planar Binding:Fire elemental
7th level: Finger of death

The cleric gets 5/5/4/4/3/2/1 assume an 18 wisdom for the same bonus spells for a total of 6/6/5/5/3/2/1

1st level: Sanctuary, Doom, Bane, Remove Fear x 3
2nd level:
3rd level: Animate Dead x5
4th level: Protection from Lightning x2
5th level:
6th level: Heal x2
7th level: Destruction

Put improved invisibility and stoneskin on the dwarf along with protection from evil, and protection from lightning. Summon some support for him - the druid, cleric and mage should ALL cast a high level monster summoning spell.

Now just before the fighter triggers the dragon's appearance cast mass haste.

Summon the guardian.

Make sure EVERYONE except the fighter and the summoned monsters are BACK lending support. Have the thief and ranger use ranged weapons. The cleric should concentrate on two things: keeping the dwarf healed and free of fear effects and summoning undead as a buffer - the undead are immune to fear. The mage is going to cast lower resistance - THREE times! That should help make it easier for his spells to get through. Once all three lower resistance spells have been cast - hit the dragon with a finger of death spell and the cleric should follow with a destruction spell. The finger of death spell will kill him if he saves as will the destruction spell but the destruction spell does 10d6 EVEN if he MAKES his save! hit him with TWO of THOSE if you can. [img]smile.gif[/img]

If you have them put protection from acid on the dshield dwarf as well. BTW, the destruction spell slot ALSO coincides with MASS HEAL which can be VERY useful in healing the entire mix of the party in one fell swoop.

Check out this thread for some additional suggestions:

http://www.ironworksforum.com/ubb/cg...;f=23;t=001088

This is from an old post I made on another board. [img]smile.gif[/img]

[ 11-15-2004, 10:43 AM: Message edited by: Micah Foehammer ]

http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3793&dateline=1187636  783
Micah Foehammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2004, 12:33 PM   #3
ZFR
Legion Symbol

Use call lightning and static charge!!!!

He's not immune to electricity and these two spells are not affected by magic resistance.

In fact you can kill him using only these spells if you have enough of them (around 10). Start casting them before summoning him. They will apparently be wasted but the spell repeats itself after 10 rounds. So after casting all of them summon him. The spells should be repeating by now. Now all you have to do is try and survive while your cleric/ranger/druid (the one who cast the spell) is near enough him.

Try this thread
http://www.ironworksforum.com/ubb/cg...;f=23;t=001118
Old 11-15-2004, 02:52 PM   #4
Marty4
Symbol of Cyric

Other than the already said advice, you mage should hack at the dragon using Morkainan's sword between spells.
Marty4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2004, 02:57 PM   #5
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

What good advice!! And here I thought my problems were all due to the insufferable heat of Chult combined with my Yeti-skin accessory choices.
Old 11-15-2004, 02:58 PM   #6
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

Do I HAVE TO beat him?? Is there another way??
Old 11-15-2004, 04:15 PM   #7
ZFR
Legion Symbol

No you don't have to kill him... you can simply get the last stele and kill all of the yuan-tis in the temple but...

Youre not just going to leave a dragon alone, are you? Besides the xp/items you get some abilities after killing. cant remember exactly but definately you get permanent +5 acid resistance.
Old 11-15-2004, 05:16 PM   #8
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

What, risk the life of my party for some steenking lizard all the way on the southern end of Toril? No way. If all I need to do is kill everyone in the temple, that may be a very viable second option. I know we can kill everyone in the temple -- I don't know whether we can kill a DRAGON.

Erm... roleplay does mean thinking past the "infinite reloads," doesn't it? [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 11-15-2004, 05:52 PM   #9
pritchke
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

You can kill him though, have your cleric use "resist fear". Have your hasted party keep him busy while the druid cast spells like call lightning, static charge, and Thorn Spary (does lots of damage but you have to be careful not to nail other party members). You have the druid you can kill the dragon.

[ 11-15-2004, 05:54 PM: Message edited by: pritchke ]
pritchke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2004, 05:54 PM   #10
Marty4
Symbol of Cyric

Once you are done with the temple area, you are free to return to Kuldahar. However, Iselore gives you that "Who's this n00b?" look, which I don't like. The dragon not only nets you experience and acid resistence(I didn't know about that!), but also increases the experience that you get from Iselore for beating Chult.
Marty4 is offline   Reply With Quote