Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Neverwinter Nights 1 & 2 Also SoU & HotU Forum

Old 07-14-2005, 08:28 PM   #11
robertthebard
Xanathar Thieves Guild

The bug in SoU should have been addressed by the last patch, and it had to do with slow down to the point of non playability, nothing to do with the story, except for where it happened. Should be fixed now though, so enjoy.
robertthebard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2005, 08:34 PM   #12
robertthebard
Xanathar Thieves Guild

Quote:
Originally posted by CerebroDragon:
@ J'aran

Whilst I tentatively agree with you that it would be impossible with a level one character to make head way into Hordes (if the the first and second battles are anything to go by...) I'd be cautious in saying that it was absolutely impossible, as miracles in the form of truly imaginative gamers can find methods for success. If there was a way to start at level one, I'm sure there would be those insane enough to try.

Take Midget Gems for example - he completed Icewind Dale without levelling up at all for the entire game - with level one characters!
Sure, obviously the two games' dynamics are much different in scope with NWN being generally less strategic. (IWD being party based) It was still some feat.
Thus there's bound to be a similar NWN/Hordes story on the net somewhere! [img]smile.gif[/img]

Geez Wellard, you still haven't spelt out why you don't like being level one so much. Hopefully its more than just power and status issues at play. [img]tongue.gif[/img]

I mean, for me its one of those few moments in a game where you have to pay complete attention to what your character is doing at all times. I love that uncertainty of what a level one character can achieve without getting killed. It creates tension, doubt and that old school RPG feeling of anticipation of challenges to come.

Those familiar with taking a level one party through the streets of skara brae and into the wine cellar in Bard's Tale for the first time will know what I mean! [img]smile.gif[/img]
Hordes spoiler, if you've never started the game...
I don't see any powergaming way to take a lvl one, naked armed with a dagger given to you by the engine, which has a minus to dmg and survive the drow thief in your room. Assuming you did, the battle on the first floor would kill you for sure, even though you have a chance for slightly better gear. If you haven't played a game, note that. The thief in your room is capable of facing a lvl 15 char. Depending on char class, you could be dead the first time the thief hits you, and since the only ac mod you have is dex at that point, at lvl one, anyway, good luck, let me know how that works out for ya'.
Oh, side note: I read some of those all the way through, as lvl one posts over on the boards there. Admirable, really, but there was a party. At the beginning of Hordes, you are a party of one.
Old 07-14-2005, 11:14 PM   #13
shadowolf03
Drow Warrior

Actually you may not die from the battle on the main floor, since your friends can handle themselves very well and if your lucky, Linu will heal you if you are about to die.

You can actually stay away from the fighting and have a drink whilst betting on who is going to win!
Old 07-15-2005, 02:50 AM   #14
CerebroDragon
Red Wizard of Thay

3D SuperBall Champion Asteroids Champion Battle of Helms Deep Champion Moon Patrol Champion Pac Man Champion
Spy Hunter Champion Super Mario Mushroom Champion
I've begrudgingly decided to accept the power offered by 15th level
I'm now playing a Necromancer in my first try at Hordes and won the first two battles by essentially hanging way back and firing off obliteration spells at anyone threatening to come near me. This method worked for the second battle near the well also. Obviously its not always going to work though, since the amount of assistance will thin out considerably.
But it should be a challenge anyway!

As for the Drow Thief, I lucked out here with daze working and a couple of dagger criticals, but had to use several healing doses. Perhaps a fairly con/str heavy level one fighter with power attack would have a small cheesy chance? I dunno. Powergaming isn't really my speciality. [img]smile.gif[/img]
- Brilhasti Ap Tarj
CerebroDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2005, 05:21 AM   #15
J'aran
Mephistopheles

Quote:
Originally posted by shadowolf03:
Actually you may not die from the battle on the main floor, since your friends can handle themselves very well and if your lucky, Linu will heal you if you are about to die.

You can actually stay away from the fighting and have a drink whilst betting on who is going to win!
Linu will heal you if you are about to die? As a level one character, you'll have 17 HP at the very most (a Dwarven barbarian with 20 CON) and you'll be facing a rather large number of level 10-15ish (supposedly) Drow and Duergar, some of whom will be casting area-effect spells. Besides, you'll be smack bang right in the middle of it all when it starts. Sure, there are others present who will be able to take care of things on their own, but you need to be very very VERY lucky to make it to a safe spot before getting hit by either a Duergar waraxe or the blast from a spell. And once that happens, Linu will have to resurrect you instead of healing, and of course it's game over then. That battle is just too chaotic to have any dependable means of survival for such a weak character.

Of course, all this is assuming you managed to survive the Drow thief in your room, and the more I think about it, the more I believe that to be utterly impossible. Even the abovementioned barbarian only needs to be hit by her two or three times to bite the dust. Add to this his low BAB and AC, and you will note that it would take our barbarian forever to land a successful blow, while the Drow could hit him blindfolded and with both arms tied behind her back, so to speak.

[ 07-15-2005, 05:25 AM: Message edited by: J'aran ]
J'aran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2005, 07:41 AM   #16
robertthebard
Xanathar Thieves Guild

LOL, and probably with the dagger between her toes to boot, standing on one foot.
Old 07-15-2005, 08:48 AM   #17
J'aran
Mephistopheles

Perhaps a high DEX/WIS monk would have a very slim chance to emerge victoriously from that fight at level one on account of the fact that even naked he will have a half-decent AC, but anything else would be quickly and effortlessly disposed of.
J'aran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2005, 10:00 PM   #18
Chewbacca
Zartan

Quote:
Originally posted by Nightowl2:
If you don't want to start at level one, use Chewie's mod to make a character at whatever level you prefer, then bring it into the game. I just did that with a new guy whom I brought up to level 3, then into OC chapter 1. Worked really well. You can do the same with SOU, or even HOTU.

Nightowl2
Yep, plus you can directly start any chapter of the OC and XPs from within the Character Maker module and receive gold appropriate for any level if you choose.

Link to module: http://nwvault.ign.com/View.php?view...Detail&id=3704