Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion

Old 07-16-2011, 02:44 PM   #21
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Thumbs Down Re: Need emergency help -- $100 -- having medical issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerek View Post
My health issues stem from Chron's Disease. I went almost 5 years without an problems at all, but I've been having some problems since about mid-spring. Nothing nearly as serious as what I've had in the past, but damned aggravating trying to get healed.

My docs are convinced the Chron's is "active" again (even though I'm exhibiting none of the usual symptoms) and they are also convinced the new medicine, Humira, is the only thing that will help. That has to be given by injection (like insulin shots) and costs anywhere from $2,000 to $4,000 per dose. The good news is that the insurance covers it (after I meet the high deductible). The bad news is that, if I don't get a full-time job in a school system before January 1, I'll have to pay for the first 2.5 shots out of pocket. That sucks, but it's better than being sick.
Yeah, I know it's from Crohns. I've read some research on the beneficial effects of alkalizing the blood and stomach. Many to the point where recipents claim they are "cured" even though doctors cannot officially say so, stating it is merely in "remission. Did you used to drink alot of faucet water as kid/child?

I haven't had any personal experience with the effects of alkalizing the disorder, as the only person I know with Crohns moved away. Poor girl went to hell and back with that thing.
Old 07-16-2011, 03:46 PM   #22
Cerek
Registered Member
Iron Throne Cult

Default Re: Need emergency help -- $100 -- having medical issues.

Be that as it may, my health problems aren't the issue here. I posted my history because I knew my comments would raise some hackles and one of the first defenses would be Dan's history of medical problems, so I listed mine to show that I DO know exactly what it is like to live with a chronic illness that never goes away completely and often makes you too sick to work. However, I realize now that drew attention away from the main point I was making - which is the suspicion many members have had for years that donations to support IW were possibly being used for personal expenses instead of the website.

I've supported IW in the past and even offered to be one of the monthly sponsors back in the day when a few of us were willing to cover the monthly bill so there would be no need to ask for donations. Of course, that blew up when someone suggested the supporters actually *gasp* get some form of recognition for their contributions. NONE of us were looking for that recognition, but it was nice others suggested it. That, of course, created a HUGE hissy fight from those who felt it was perfectly ok for someone else to pay the bill, but NOT ok for them to get any special recognition for it. I've also supported other sites I've been on.

I stopped supporting IW financially when I could no longer be completely confident the money was not sometimes being used for other purposes. I'm not the only member that has felt this way. I'm just the only member that finally decided to say it out loud. If you think that is rude, that's fine. You're welcome to your opinion. If you think the money can be used for whatever purpose, regardless of the reason it was asked for, that's your choice. Obviously, I feel differently and I felt it was time somebody said that.
Old 07-16-2011, 04:59 PM   #23
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

I vaguely remember that happening, a group decided to foot the bill and then it all went sideways one way or the other. I was a bit too busy with NWN's or IWD to care at the time, but I do recall the thread I think.
Old 07-16-2011, 06:20 PM   #24
Chewbacca
Zartan

I guess I lack the harsh cynicism to care whether or not Ziroc pays one bill or another with the money I've donated over the years, especially since he runs the server from his home as a hobby.

Harsh and rude is still harsh and rude not matter how unpopular an opinion or succinctly put.

I find it hard to defend making vague cynical accusations in a scolding tone rather than rallying around a friend in need and cheering the problem being solved.
Old 07-16-2011, 11:14 PM   #25
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Ouch! Z, I know what a bad tooth can feel like. My dentist has mentioned that unattended tooth issues can cause serioius infections/problems too. I can't send $ right now (my husband's job is a temp one and after being out of work a year we're a bit tight financially- especially when he misses a day (holidays like the 4th) since they don't pay for that when you're a temp) but I CAN send prayers and good wishes and thank Azred for helping out.

Cerek, sorry to hear your Chrons is still active Hope it stays manageable! You were doing so well with work and stuff!

One thing I don't think was mentioned- well, I may have missed it- you guys are loquacious! But I know that if you have a medical or other pressing bill and no/low funds you have to choose what to pay for ... food or the bill...or hobbies... so it's entirely possible that Z has a choice like that off and on and he asks for money so he doesn't have to forgo the hobby (IW).

Last edited by Cloudbringer; 07-17-2011 at 02:49 AM.
Cloudbringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 11:19 AM   #26
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azred View Post
hrm...since I am a directly-involved party in this I had better weigh in.

On the one hand, this is Ziroc's forum--he may do with it as he will, up to and including directly asking people for money. He doesn't have to explain his reasons for doing so to anyone.

On the other hand, I don't think anyone will ever underestimate the seriousness of the problems you have had to suffer the past couple of years, Cerek. Goodness knows I was there when you were talking about how bad things were...and when you weren't because you were too sick to be online.

I was in a position to help out when Z asked so I did, just out of the goodness of my heart (did I really just say that?). Unfortunately, I am not in a position to help others with more serious needs but I would if I could.

Is it wrong of Ziroc to ask for money? Not really, depending upon how it is done--a simple request is fine, presuming that others owe the money and/or demanding it is unaccaptable. Was it wrong of me to give? Highly unlikely since giving to others counts as me practicing what I profess to believe. Will I do it again in the future if someone else makes such a request? I don't know; it would depend upon the person, the circumstances, the method of phrasing the request, and whether or not I can fit it into the budget here.

Now...what is done is done. Honestly, I hadn't expected any more about it since I never expected anything more than a simple "thank you", which I already received. At this point, the entire subject should be like the two monks and the lady crossing the stream--I put her down back at the stream, so why is anyone else still carrying her?
Well said. Can't add any more to it. Everyone has now put in their 2c on Ziroc's request, which has been fulfilled due to the kindness of one of our members. Let's move on.

Memnoch is offline   Reply With Quote