Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 12-03-2008, 11:57 AM   #11
Firestormalpha
Knight of the Rose

Zelda Champion Snake Champion
Default Re: The return of Baldur's Gate?

In terms of settings I was referring more specifically to the area around Baldur's Gate and Amn itself. Not the entirety of the Forgotten Realms

"We are never to judge a philosophy by its abuse." - Augustine

"If you're wondering if God has a sense of humor, consider the platypus."

http://www.greaterthings.cbglades.com
Firestormalpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 12:06 PM   #12
Ziroc
Ironworks Webmaster

Bow to the Meow

They should do a Forgotten Realms game based off of the new Spellplague.. (This will introduce (ugh) 4th Ed too). I HATE the idea of moving 100+ years into the future of FR.. most known hero-types will be dead.

OR do the story on King Obould moving and creating his Orc City next to Mithral Hall... I say let the BG name die. And NWN too. FR has many names much cooler. Waterdeep is one. Or maybe help the 'new' Blackstaff...

The Great Escape Studios - 2D/3D Modeling
www.tgeweb.com & Ziroc's Facebook Page
Visit My Flickr Photo Album
Ziroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 12:31 PM   #13
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

What they should have done was made "Forgotten Realms online". If they matched the attention to detail and scope that WoW experienced during its creation, I think they it would have been very successful and possibly given WoW a run for their money, even sharing its userbase. I still think there is time, I mean, they have WoW as a drawing-board to see what works and what doesn't.

But I mean, imagine it. If they brought Waterdeep alive, had Underdark instances and Dark Elven classes, Red wizards of Thay and their minions. You could travel to the Sword Coast or to Icewind dale and then to Neverwinter all in the same game. Yeah, it would take time, but could you imagine if it was done right just how much fun it would be? Not to mention how much money it would make.

Oh and let's just pretend Eberron doesn't exist in case anyone thinks to mention it.
Old 12-03-2008, 12:53 PM   #14
Variol (Farseer) Elmwood
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiritWarrior View Post
What they should have done was made "Forgotten Realms online". If they matched the attention to detail and scope that WoW experienced during its creation, I think they it would have been very successful and possibly given WoW a run for their money, even sharing its userbase. I still think there is time, I mean, they have WoW as a drawing-board to see what works and what doesn't.

But I mean, imagine it. If they brought Waterdeep alive, had Underdark instances and Dark Elven classes, Red wizards of Thay and their minions. You could travel to the Sword Coast or to Icewind dale and then to Neverwinter all in the same game. Yeah, it would take time, but could you imagine if it was done right just how much fun it would be? Not to mention how much money it would make.

Oh and let's just pretend Eberron doesn't exist in case anyone thinks to mention it.
..and don't forget the Harpers!!
Old 12-03-2008, 07:20 PM   #15
wellard
Dracolisk

Christmas, Easter, and BG3 rumors .... every year they come around without fail.

fossils - natures way of laughing at creationists for over 3 billion years
wellard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 08:24 PM   #16
Beaumanoir
Iron Throne Cult

Ach. They'll just ruin it like they did with Dark Alliance. BG, ToTSC, BGII and ToB were all brilliant, 10 out of 10 games.

NWN was fairly good I suppose though.
Old 12-04-2008, 06:46 AM   #17
Cerek
Registered Member
Iron Throne Cult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Variol (Farseer) Elmwood View Post
Who cares about stupid story lines anyway!?

Just give me a game I can go into have fun with. Some of them have too much dialog.
I agree. I didn't play BGII for the storyline, I played it for the action and the different characters. With the numerous NPCs available, BGII could be played over and over. I had several different characters and each one was designed to run with a different grouping of the NPCs. Then my ex decided to wipe my PC after our separation. I still have BGII, just haven't re-installed it yet.

The main reason I don't play BGII anymore is because I am STILL so hooked on NWN. I found a great online server that allows lots of PC interaction with the gameworld. I still play every day on that server. I've never bothered to get NWN2 because this gameworld is so much fun.

I realize the manufacturers want to grab new buyers and it's hard to argue with the success of WoW, especially when you have celebrities like Mr. T and Chuck Norris describing THEIR characters on WoW.
Old 12-04-2008, 08:37 AM   #18
Stratos
Vampire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaumanoir View Post
Ach. They'll just ruin it like they did with Dark Alliance. BG, ToTSC, BGII and ToB were all brilliant, 10 out of 10 games.

NWN was fairly good I suppose though.
Well, Dark Alliance was a Baldurs Gate game in name alone. The setting too, I suppose.

Decent game, but with little replay value.
Old 12-04-2008, 08:41 AM   #19
Stratos
Vampire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerek View Post
I agree. I didn't play BGII for the storyline, I played it for the action and the different characters. With the numerous NPCs available, BGII could be played over and over. I had several different characters and each one was designed to run with a different grouping of the NPCs. Then my ex decided to wipe my PC after our separation. I still have BGII, just haven't re-installed it yet.

The main reason I don't play BGII anymore is because I am STILL so hooked on NWN. I found a great online server that allows lots of PC interaction with the gameworld. I still play every day on that server. I've never bothered to get NWN2 because this gameworld is so much fun.

I realize the manufacturers want to grab new buyers and it's hard to argue with the success of WoW, especially when you have celebrities like Mr. T and Chuck Norris describing THEIR characters on WoW.
I'm going to replay the Baldurs Gate games soon. I bought a box containing all BG 1 & 2 plus their expansion packs a few month ago. Don't know where my old CD:s are.

Hopefully, playing through BG 1 will be easier this time. Last time, the game regularely crashed and corrupted my savegames in Beregost.
Old 12-04-2008, 04:47 PM   #20
Beaumanoir
Iron Throne Cult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratos View Post
Well, Dark Alliance was a Baldurs Gate game in name alone. The setting too, I suppose.

Decent game, but with little replay value.
I didn't even get past the first try, in honesty. It lacked the freedom I felt in the earlier BG games. Kind of felt like I was just trawling through a storybook with a pre-decided character, rather than making my own choices through it.