Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 09-03-2005, 06:08 PM   #61
Grojlach
Zartan

I hardly ever play games anymore, and if I do, I usually stick to certain types of games only. Don't really have a clearly defined top 10, but Baldurs Gate II (replay-value) and Planescape: Torrent (storywise) remain my favourites.
Grojlach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2005, 06:17 PM   #62
Lucern
Quintesson

Quote:
Originally posted by ZFR:
quote:
Originally posted by J'aran:

7. Jagged Alliance
Wow glad someone mentioned this game at last. Mustve played it a million times. Havent played part 2 yet but 1 was excellent [/QUOTE]It was good (at least Deadly Games..I think there was another title I didn't play), but you should go play Jagged Alliance 2. Now. You've had 6 years. I'd have still given Deadly Games its credit if Jagged Alliance 2 wasn't so good.
Lucern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2005, 07:36 PM   #63
Cyril Darkcloud
Lord Soth

1. The Elder Scrolls III – Morrowind
2. The Elder Scrolls II – Daggerfall
3. Icewind Dale/HOW
4. Dungeon Siege
5. Baldur’s Gate/TOTSC
6. Heroes of Might and Magic 3
7. Lords of Magic
Old 09-04-2005, 05:17 AM   #64
J'aran
Mephistopheles

Quote:
Originally posted by Lucern:
quote:
quote:

7. Jagged Alliance
Wow glad someone mentioned this game at last. Mustve played it a million times. Havent played part 2 yet but 1 was excellent [/QUOTE]It was good (at least Deadly Games..I think there was another title I didn't play), but you should go play Jagged Alliance 2. Now. You've had 6 years. I'd have still given Deadly Games its credit if Jagged Alliance 2 wasn't so good. [/QUOTE]I don't know. I've never really gotten very far with JA2, despite giving the game several chances. The whole training militias thingy, traveling back and forth to the airport to collect ordered weapons etc. etc. in between the fights always put me off. And of course having the Dutch version of the game didn't help either. I mean, hearing the line "it's time for the enemy to take out the trash" over and over gets corny enough, but seeing it subtitled as "laten we ze in de pan hakken met een uitje en wat prei" (something like "lets chop 'em up with some onion and leek", I guess it doesn't really translate well, but lets just say it's a completely failed attempt at humour by the translator, and that's putting it mildly) is just too much.

I loved Deadly Games though, seeing that even the main campaign there was just a loose series of missions with no other management in between than paying for your mercs and equipment, I like it even better the original Jagged Alliance. But I wasn't sure whether or not to put it on the list as I don't really know how to classify it. I always thought of it as an expansion, but since it's a stand-alone product I guess you could argue that it's more like JA1½.
J'aran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2005, 05:42 AM   #65
Chewbacca
Zartan

1. Neverwinter Nights
2. Master oF Orion 2
3. Baldur's Gate
4. Baldur's Gate 2
5. Rome Total War
6. Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic
7. Civilization 3
8. Rollercoaster Tycoon 3
9. Command & Conquer Generals
10. Mech Commander
Old 09-04-2005, 01:00 PM   #66
Lucern
Quintesson

Quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Lucern:
quote:
quote:

7. Jagged Alliance
Wow glad someone mentioned this game at last. Mustve played it a million times. Havent played part 2 yet but 1 was excellent [/QUOTE]It was good (at least Deadly Games..I think there was another title I didn't play), but you should go play Jagged Alliance 2. Now. You've had 6 years. I'd have still given Deadly Games its credit if Jagged Alliance 2 wasn't so good. [/QUOTE]I don't know. I've never really gotten very far with JA2, despite giving the game several chances. The whole training militias thingy, traveling back and forth to the airport to collect ordered weapons etc. etc. in between the fights always put me off. And of course having the Dutch version of the game didn't help either. I mean, hearing the line "it's time for the enemy to take out the trash" over and over gets corny enough, but seeing it subtitled as "laten we ze in de pan hakken met een uitje en wat prei" (something like "lets chop 'em up with some onion and leek", I guess it doesn't really translate well, but lets just say it's a completely failed attempt at humour by the translator, and that's putting it mildly) is just too much.

I loved Deadly Games though, seeing that even the main campaign there was just a loose series of missions with no other management in between than paying for your mercs and equipment, I like it even better the original Jagged Alliance. But I wasn't sure whether or not to put it on the list as I don't really know how to classify it. I always thought of it as an expansion, but since it's a stand-alone product I guess you could argue that it's more like JA1½.
[/QUOTE]To each his own [img]smile.gif[/img]

I wasted good portion of my young teenage life on Deadly Games, so I know what you mean lol. I must have had 100 custom maps by the end. I did, however, also finish JA2 on the hardest mode 3 times and played through the rather lame expansion (how does an expansion give a game FEWER options??) and Urban Chaos (an astoundingly good player mod that's a whole new campaign the size of the first one). My favorite aspect of it was that you were actually strategically directing guerilla warfare against ridiculously overwhelming numbers. Few games let you get into such detail with 'who to send where with what and at what time' while managing finances and how to hold what you've already taken. On the hardest mode you're up against at least 1600 enemies, and up to about 2500 if you take your time. Urban Chaos had even more. Too much really. Good old save/load can turn the most block-headed attack into flawless victory lol. Too bad there's almost no chance for a sequel.
Lucern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2005, 01:06 PM   #67
Brayf
Zhentarim Guard

1. The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind
2. Baldur's Gate
3. Civilization II
4. Championship Manager 2: 97/98
5. Carmageddon
6. Quake
7. Age of Empires II
8. Escape From Monkey Island (4th in the series)
9. Fallout 2
10. Battlefield 2

God, I'd love to have put Chip's Challenge in there.

Disclaimer: I've never played NWN online
Brayf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2005, 05:00 PM   #68
Felix The Assassin
The Dreadnoks

1. Pirates (All)
2. Civilization (All)
3. Cosmic Balance (C-64)
4. Elite (Amiga)
5. Bards Tale (Amiga)
6. Bane of the Cosmic Forge
7. Mech Warrior (All)
8. Empire Earth
9. Morrowind
10.Ultima (I-VII)

Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe to assure the survival and the success of liberty.

John F. Kennedy
35th President of The United States

The Last Shot

Honor The Fallen

Jesus died for our sins, and American Soldiers died for our freedom.

If you don't stand behind our Soldiers, please feel free to stand in front of them.
Felix The Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2005, 11:37 AM   #69
bjorn
Zhentarim Guard

1. Fallout 2 (like two mentions of this before mine, whats up with that?)
2. Starcraft
3. Baldurs Gate
4. Warcraft 2
5. Civillzation 3
6. Close Combat 5
7. Baldurs Gate 2
8. Ignition
9. Codename Eagle (In my opinion, the mother of the Battlefield games)
10. Fallout

[ 09-05-2005, 11:47 AM: Message edited by: bjorn ]
Old 09-05-2005, 05:28 PM   #70
Link
Jack Burton

Felix, I thought the idea was to post PC games, not games from other platforms.

Goal: Beijing 2008
Link is offline   Reply With Quote