Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Dungeon Craft - RPG Game Maker

Old 01-21-2010, 12:33 PM   #1
SilentThief
Symbol of Cyric

Burger Time Champion
Default Custom Text, status, & ending combat

I read something about scripts interacting with the player, and while I think this is an advanced feature and not necessary for version 1.0, I like the idea of it. For example, lets say thru a twist of fate you end up squaring off in combat against the members of the night watch. Then as the combat initiates and you take a beating, then at the beginning of a round (determined by designer) a text message appears saying "surrender and we will let you keep your miserable lives!!!" and then below says "surrender yes/no", at which you can press "n" to continue combat or press "y" and it ends combat.

====

I already can end a combat before everyone on one side or the other is dead (change everyone on one side to fled or tempgone or something like that). AFAIK, there is no other way to end combat but for one side to defeat the other. Is there any script like that, for example like "endCombat()" ???

Has fleeing been resolved?

Lets say I want to make a custom status, like drowned, and I number it a higher number than the standard hard coded status states in the game. I am assuming it will say something nasty to me telling me not to do it again. Any way to allow custom status states?

ST
ps, I'll be around again sometime soon
Old 01-21-2010, 01:38 PM   #2
manikus
Jack Burton

Sunglass Man Re: Custom Text, status, & ending combat

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentThief View Post
I read something about scripts interacting with the player, and while I think this is an advanced feature and not necessary for version 1.0, I like the idea of it. For example, lets say thru a twist of fate you end up squaring off in combat against the members of the night watch. Then as the combat initiates and you take a beating, then at the beginning of a round (determined by designer) a text message appears saying "surrender and we will let you keep your miserable lives!!!" and then below says "surrender yes/no", at which you can press "n" to continue combat or press "y" and it ends combat.

====

I already can end a combat before everyone on one side or the other is dead (change everyone on one side to fled or tempgone or something like that). AFAIK, there is no other way to end combat but for one side to defeat the other. Is there any script like that, for example like "endCombat()" ???

Has fleeing been resolved?

Lets say I want to make a custom status, like drowned, and I number it a higher number than the standard hard coded status states in the game. I am assuming it will say something nasty to me telling me not to do it again. Any way to allow custom status states?

ST
ps, I'll be around again sometime soon
Let me start with the last thing first - I'm very glad you'll be around more. I think we're on the brink of the "golden" age of DC. Plus, I'm trying to get a version of DC with the special abilities and all the new scripting ready for playtesters...when it's ready, if you're back or almost back, I will be contacting you.

I mentioned earlier (well, in another thread) that we don't currently have a designer hook to stop combat at a predetermined time, but we can ask Paul to look into this. The scenario you give implies that the hook would need to be able to be over-ridden depending on player input. It's beyond my capabilities to know if something like this is realistic before 1.0 comes out.

Fleeing has been resolved. You can have monsters run away or party members run away and combat will not crash and/or freeze up your machine. It is now effective to turn undead and watch them skitter off the combat field.

With the new special abilities feature, you can add any custom status you like. This was one of the first things that Paul allowed them to do.
Old 01-21-2010, 08:33 PM   #3
Uatu
Horus - Egyptian Sky God

Default Re: Custom Text, status, & ending combat

Awesome! It sure does seem like the Golden Age of DC is starting...

My Blog:
http://advanceddantiansanddragons.blogspot.com
Uatu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 06:38 PM   #4
SilentThief
Symbol of Cyric

Burger Time Champion

Its official, I put in my account info so as to put in the official request in sourceforge for this (word for word):

Custom Text and question while in combat
I think this is an advanced feature and not necessary for version 1.0.

That being said, heres what I propose:
During combat, the designer has custom text in a yes/no question pop up onscreen and combat action pauses while awaiting a one-keystroke answer. This one keystroke answer evaluates to true if "y" and false if anything else.

Use:
lets say thru a twist of fate you end up squaring off in combat against the members of the night watch. Then as the combat initiates and you take a beating, then at the end/beginning of a round (determined by designer) a text message appears saying "surrender and we will let you keep your miserable lives!!!" and then below says "surrender yes/no", at which you can press "y" and it ends combat.

Silentthief
Old 06-15-2010, 07:04 PM   #5
manikus
Jack Burton

Hey, ST. I just put a comment onto your request.

I think we can already do what you want to do. Paul's "billiear player" demo showed that we can ask the player things outside of normal events, driven by scripts and Special Abilities.
Old 06-15-2010, 07:11 PM   #6
SilentThief
Symbol of Cyric

Burger Time Champion

So much these days it seems like you developers are a step or two ahead of me and my requests... I like that.

Makes me feel not so selfish for saying "thats great but can you do this..."

ST
Old 06-15-2010, 07:45 PM   #7
manikus
Jack Burton

You just have to watch out, I used to be the guy always asking for stuff to be added...now I'm the guy who has to answer the requests.

This new version of DC is so "unlimited" compared to the current version and FRUA. I think everyone will ahve something to be happy about