Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 06-01-2001, 12:41 PM   #1
sunder
Zhentarim Guard

I found another little pirk that makes using ranged weapons in melee not something you want to do.
The game constantly tells you that if you use a ranged weapon against a foe that is meleeing you, that foe gets +4 chance to hit you. I figured ok, not a major deal I can live with that since my bowman is awsome with his bow, but sucks with a melee weapon, and his AC is very low anyway.
But the problem is, if someone engages you in melee combat, and you are using a ranged weapon, all of YOUR attacks are based on your melee ability, even if you are holding a ranged weapon.
Example. I was using a magical +3 longbow, I received +13 to hit with the Bow, So I was sitting back shooting some orks and such getting my +13 bonus to hit. Now, later in the battle a ork engages me in melee combat, but I keep my bow equipted to shoot still, suddenly I realize Im getting +5 to hit in combat, not +13. The +5 is my melee bonuses (str and weapon) and I am using that instead of the +13 missile bonus (weapon/dex/skill)

SO not only does your foe get a +4 chance to hit you if you use a missile weapon in melee, your combat bonuses change to your Melee skill, they don't stay with the weapon you are using.

Just a Tidbit for anyone who thought they would keep their bow handy for a few seconds longer, the fight wasn't going that bad.
Old 06-02-2001, 01:23 AM   #2
sylent
Emerald Dragon

guess you gotta keep your archer the hell out of melee huh...
Alignment of troops imperitive

------------------
"Watch your back"