Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 08-21-2003, 09:39 AM   #41
Dreamer128
Dracolisk

To all the guys who created female characters in Baldurs GateII just for the sake of romancing Anomen... you're twisted! Get away from me.

Personally, I've never been able to get into roleplaying a female character (tried it once or twice, then gave up). For some reason, it just feels natural to roleplay my own gender.
Old 08-21-2003, 09:44 AM   #42
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
Quote:
Originally posted by Donut:
I always play a female character - I don't really know why! Some distant, latent need to be fulfilled I suppose.

It's over 25 years since my operation but I'm still somewhat confused genderwise. In RL I prefer being male but I miss how easy it was to get sex as a woman.
I bet you looked pretty in pink.
Old 08-21-2003, 09:57 AM   #43
WOLFGIR
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

Cloudy.

As it so happens, most of our PnP games are not that theatrical, which leads to more or less destroy the borders between femal/male boundaries espacially in fantasy settings. Hence playing a female male character is more a choice you take to interact with the world set around you. The basics of the group could as well have been a homogenus one.

So for players though in our party it matters more since they like the drama of the group and dynamics and want to play that part out a bit more. But for me, it is more interesting anywa to dwell in the reasons, motives and background as well as goals for a character of any kind.

Hence another thing is also how much different players play certain races and from which backgrounds. We all probably vent ou stereotype preferances in games
(You gotta love blue hair heheh [img]tongue.gif[/img] )

Don´t eat the yellow snow
Old 08-21-2003, 10:08 AM   #44
Legolas
Jack Burton

I believe that the main difference in behaviour towards males and females stems from the notion that women are the weaker sex. It's odd to see that, especially in a game where males and females can start out with exactly the same abilities, but then with such fragile avatars as the taller 'normal' fenotype females get assigned to them I suppose it is not that strange. The fact that most players come from r/l also tends to have an impact. NPCs rarely react differently to one gender than they do to another, but player characters do.

Assume a man was kidnapped. What would you do?
You get some guys together, grab a sixpack, mention how sad it was that the man disappeared (you saw him once or twice and he seemed like a nice guy) and go back to whatever it was you were doing.

Now what if it was a woman?
Damsels in distress always bring out the best in a man. You grab your sword, leave your cumbersome armour and hurry off to whatever tower she might be locked in, praying that you get there before your buddies do. Then there's the rescue, you notice she's not all that attractive after all and gallantly refuse any kind of reward. Then you go home and drink for a bit to get over the shock.

Not too long ago I had a female character who developped phobias for just about any creature that hit her, and had a tendency to run off screaming before collapsing to the ground in tears, all the while whimpering how absolutely useless she was. 100% of the male characters went after her when she ran and kindly took the time to explain it was okay to be afraid, but that she had to be brave, and could really make a difference.
Try that with a male character, and people will shrug and call him weak and useless. After all, if he's got some courage somewhere, he'll get himself together and rejoin the party later on...

Those are some of the more extreme examples, most of the different behaviour shows itself in smaller acts of kindness and show of patience and respect from males. Other female characters also tend to act differently, being more open towards eachother.

So far I've not gotten any of my female characters involved in a relationship with another character (and I've always given Anomen a wide berth too), but then I can't think of more than two or three male characters who have either.
Old 08-21-2003, 10:09 AM   #45
mysticelt
Drow Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by johnny:
quote:
I always play a female character - I don't really know why! Some distant, latent need to be fulfilled I suppose.

It's over 25 years since my operation but I'm still somewhat confused genderwise. In RL I prefer being male but I miss how easy it was to get sex as a woman.
I bet you looked pretty in pink. [/QUOTE]Johnny you are a twisted psycho - I like that in a person. I am sure Donut looks handsome in any color.
Old 08-21-2003, 10:10 AM   #46
Attalus
Symbol of Bane

I'm male. amd I play both. My main character in the BG series was male, for the Romances, and in NWN, I first played a male, but Micah Foehammer made a portrait of Viconia for NWN for Galadria, and then for IWD II for me. I liked it so much that I played SoU with Viconia, and I sure like looking at that beautiful face better than an ugly male one. Besides, it's fun to have a woman in my life that I can tell what to do. [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 08-21-2003, 10:14 AM   #47
Donut
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by mysticelt:
Johnny you are a twisted psycho - I like that in a person. I am sure Donut looks handsome in any color.
I'm not sure how this has happened but you've made me smile!! (It's not a full on Tony Blair grin, more a sort of wry Sean Connery sort of smile)
[img]\"http://www.wheatsheaf.freeserve.co.uk/roastspurs.gif\" alt=\" - \" /> <br />Proud member of the Axis of Upheaval<br />Official Titterer of the Laughing Hyenas<br />Josiah Bartlet - the best President the US never had.<br />The 1st D in the D & D Show
Old 08-21-2003, 10:19 AM   #48
WOLFGIR
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

Quote:
quote:
Johnny you are a twisted psycho - I like that in a person. I am sure Donut looks handsome in any color.
I'm not sure how this has happened but you've made me smile!! (It's not a full on Tony Blair grin, more a sort of wry Sean Connery sort of smile) [/QUOTE]Ohh a blonde 25 year old with a smile like Sean Connery...

Swoon time???

Don´t eat the yellow snow
Old 08-21-2003, 10:31 AM   #49
Davros
Takhisis Follower

Quote:
quote:
I'm not sure how this has happened but you've made me smile!! (It's not a full on Tony Blair grin, more a sort of wry Sean Connery sort of smile) [/QUOTE]Did I tell you I have met Sean Connery .

Anyone who has seen Donut's famous "uncanny dodge" will know that she performs her dance steps in a stunning blue [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 08-21-2003, 10:37 AM   #50
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
Miniskirt ?