Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Baldurs Gate & Tales of the Sword Coast

Old 04-27-2002, 03:27 PM   #1
NamelessOne
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I was playing through BG1 again and i came across that spider/women thing in the cloakwood forest. When i was talking to her she siad that Jon Irenicus imprisoned her. Does that mean that they had planned a sequel to BG1 before the first was even released or just a coincidence?
Old 04-27-2002, 04:34 PM   #2
Cornelius
Dungeon Master

How cool of you to notice that. I think they just later took the name from that one place and developed it into a bigger story.
~Cornelius~<br /><br /><br /><br />-=PROGRESS QUEST=-<br />This awesome, totally free, MMO/S RPG plays itself! Now you can do some useful work somewhere else without ever leaving your elven archer @$$ behind! Try it today!<br />[url]\"http://www.progressquest.com\" target=\"_blank\">Progress Quest</a><br /><br />[url]\"http://www.geocities.com/eskie_icy\" target=\"_blank\">My Dog\'s Page!</a>
Cornelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2002, 05:20 PM   #3
Daniel
Symbol of Cyric

Also dont forget Pallonia on the lighthouse map section, this guy gives you soom information on BG2 and Neverwinter nights looks like these games were planned long before Bg1 was released
Daniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2002, 05:24 PM   #4
Iluvatar Oakenshield
Manshoon

Well, I have noticed that too, and it indeed is quite funny that the designers put those things into the game. there's more actually; I remember a nobleman (??) who you come across somewhere talking about neverwinter nights.

To answer your question: I have heard several times that at the start of making BG1 they actually already had plans to make a trilogy. So it may or may not be a coincedence.
"Wherever she dwells I will bid a farewell sigh For she dwells with beauty - beauty that must die And deep inside me I will wait for her return To her enchanting, awe-inspiring flame I'll yearn O lust and rueful thought be mine, My soul enhanced, desires... Melancholy. My heart is thine."

Schwadorf, Empyrium '97
Iluvatar Oakenshield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2002, 06:41 PM   #5
SixOfSpades
Dracolisk

It is indeed a trilogy--BioWare decided to make ToB the third part, instead of making a BG3.

Centeol (the Spider woman) doesn't actually say 'Jon Irenicus,' she says 'Jon Icarus,' although she does refer to him as an archmage. This is indeed a bit of foreshadowing, although Jon's name was later altered a bit from its working-title form. Other small references pop up throughout the story--some not already mentioned are:
One of the password options to enter the Thieves' Guild is "Bodi," as opposed to the character Bodhi in BG2
Prism's dying word is "Ellesime," who we later find out is someone rather important
Ajantis's Biography mentions a Paladin named Keldorn, a Member of the Order of the Most Radiant Heart.
Old 04-27-2002, 07:56 PM   #6
SecretMaster
Apophis

Yes, the noble is Lord Foreshadow, Foreshadowing those games. And about Keldorn, he took an apprenticeship under Keldorn, and Keldorn was a famous paladin to the Order
SecretMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2002, 05:28 AM   #7
Daniel
Symbol of Cyric

Another thing worth mentioning, Maple willow aspen (I think this was her name) she seems very similar to a certain bhaalspawn in SOA and TOB Viekang anyone? prehaps they had planned her to be the original Viekang? only difference is is that she teleports when angry not when scared like Viekang.

[ 04-30-2002, 05:29 AM: Message edited by: Daniel ]
Daniel is offline   Reply With Quote