Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 02-27-2003, 12:55 PM   #1
realbinky
Elminster

Why is it that actors, whose job is to act for WAY too much money, suddenly think "OOh, I'm a celebrity, what I think is important!" As if many of them think [img]smile.gif[/img]

http://www.hollywoodhalfwits.com/
Old 02-27-2003, 01:02 PM   #2
Iron_Ranger
Symbol of Cyric

Wow!

I think they (the movie stars) are free to have an opinion but its not anymore important than anyone elses. And they act like it is, and act like they have to be listened too and should be listened too.

Thanks for the site realbinky.
<br />[url]\"http://www.bratgirlcentral.com/cgi-bin/ouapforum/ikonboard/ikonboard.cgi\" target=\"_blank\">Once Upon A Paper</a><br />Living on a razors edge<br />Balancing on ledge<br />Living on a razors edge
Old 02-27-2003, 01:09 PM   #3
realbinky
Elminster

Iron, that is my point, thanks for saying it better than I. I certainly believe that they are entitled to have all the opinions that they wany- it's part of the beauty of living here. But to think they are MORE important than my opinions- hah! Oh, and look at what some of them say about the rich, hmmmm.
Old 02-27-2003, 01:56 PM   #4
quietman1920

Celebrities are no more experts than you or I. I agree to that completely. But I don't think that site is what a reasonable man might call 'unbiased journalism'. Everyone has a right to their opinion. And Name Calling (which that site does) has never ever settled an issue.
Old 02-27-2003, 02:56 PM   #5
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

I think celebrity opinions on politics are about as relevant as Dan Quayle's opinion on Murphy Brown.
Old 02-27-2003, 03:45 PM   #6
Irongrinder

hmm, the site doesn't seem to me as celebreties who want to be heard, just people who ask celebrities their opinion to use it against them (not to mention some of the opinions are pretty stupid indeed )
Old 02-27-2003, 03:50 PM   #7
Iron_Ranger
Symbol of Cyric

Quote:
Originally posted by quietman1920:
Celebrities are no more experts than you or I. I agree to that completely. But I don't think that site is what a reasonable man might call 'unbiased journalism'. Everyone has a right to their opinion. And Name Calling (which that site does) has never ever settled an issue.
The website is just a taste of their own medicine. Its just the flip side of Hollywoods protesting and leftistism (Is dont think thats a word but oh well.).
<br />[url]\"http://www.bratgirlcentral.com/cgi-bin/ouapforum/ikonboard/ikonboard.cgi\" target=\"_blank\">Once Upon A Paper</a><br />Living on a razors edge<br />Balancing on ledge<br />Living on a razors edge
Old 02-27-2003, 05:05 PM   #8
Davros
Takhisis Follower

LOL - you only have to look at the sub-title to see it scream out as the "Right wing ridicule" column. I agree that some of the quotes I saw were nonsensical, but several of them made eminent sense, and several of them were obviously cut from statements of larger context to convey different impression.

I totally agree with the earlier statements that the opinion of Hollywood idols should have no more weight than anyone elses. This site however takes pains to brand all dissenting views as "Un-American" and highlights the dissenters. OK, I am not American, but I know if someone was branding me as Un-Australian simply because I didn't believe the same things on this war - well the concept is a nonsense in itself.
Old 02-27-2003, 05:24 PM   #9
Iron_Ranger
Symbol of Cyric

Darvos, I am not sure how much of this type of thing gets covered in Austrialia, but here in the States almost everyday some Hollywood actor continues spewing anti-bush, anti-war sutff. It gets annoying. And like I said, they think there opinion should be held higher than anyone elses. And they have very little respect for other points of view, most of them. For a perfect example you need look no further then Geeneane Graffolo (not spelled right) when she was on a show called Fox and Friends (comes on 6-8 Am CTS on Fox News Channel). One of the journalist asked her a that questioned her views on the War and she jumped down his throat. It was just a question, you would have thought someone tried to murder her.

Is the website right wing biased? Yes, sure, of course, big time. Is hollywood left wing biased? Yes, big time. Does it make either of them justified? No.
Old 02-27-2003, 05:51 PM   #10
Ronn_Bman
Zartan

I like Jeanne Garofalo even if I don't share her views. When I've seen her she seemed intelligent and had a well balanced argument. I'm not doubting that she could get upset, but if she can keep her cool while being interviewed on the Fox news network, she's doing a pretty good job.

The stars who feel inspired to use their star power to spread the word on both sides of the issues are fine with me as long as they actually share their reasoning and don't feel obliged to shove it down my throat. I don't say they're un-American, but I can only appreciate their view if they can present it without insinuating I'm some kind of mindless, Bush following zombie.

It's the ones who say, "War Sucks!" as some kind of definitive statement on their views that really bug me. Heck, I think war sucks.

If they're going to use their star power they should at least be able to talk about the issue intelligently. I saw some musical artist on MTV or somewhere who's entire view was that he opposed the war, but he didn't really seem to know why. [img]graemlins/1ponder.gif[/img]