Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-09-2002, 02:05 PM   #21
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Quote:
Originally posted by Dramnek_Ulk:
quote:
Originally posted by Yorick:
Besides, what's wrong with McEntertainment. Isn't making people happy just as valid as making them sad, think deeply or be scared. It's part of life.

"Art, in all it's forms may not be necessary for survival but makes survival necessary."
So-called Celebrities do few things to be deserving of what they get. They make soulless production line McEntertainment that is nothing more than empty filler and that quashes our creativeness and turns us into people who would rather watch the same empty trash T.V over and over, rather than read, which is still the only serious medium to impart the complex and profound ideas that are so important to understand in becoming a better educated person.
Art is supposed to be creative and make us think or at least debate “What is art”; the McEntertainment produced by the vast amount of so-called celebrities amounts to nothing more than prostitution of the soul, for rewards that bear no relation to the factors of production.
McEntertainment does not ultimately make people happy. It closes their horizons and limits their development as a full being; instead of reading or debating or creative work they go and watch trash telly. There are some programs, which at least attempt to educate, but the visual nature of the medium in question means that it is unable to come up with the required depth and time possible to explain complex and profound ideas thus ensuring that the vast majority of output is sub-standard jerry Springer rubbish that contributes nothing and merely serves to help us piss our lives away.
[/QUOTE]Why don't you speak for yourself instead of using the royal "WE" and "OUR". Your views reflect yourself, and the effect McEntertainment has on YOU. That is all. So the answer is quite simple.

Don't watch it if it hampers or squashes your creativity.

If creativity were really to be squashed it would be because self-righteous dickheads tried to dictate to creatives what is good and bad. "Taste is the enemy of art" is a quote that comes to mind. So to does the quote "To live a creative life one must first lose the fear of being wrong"

If people like a work of art, for WHATEVER reason... nay, if ONE person finds value in some from of art, then that art serves a purpose. Who are YOU to sit there and belittle the diversionary light entertainment people need to break the mundane. Criticising culture never inspired anyone.

If you want to do something about it, CREATE something. Enter the fray instead of standing on the sidelines moping, whingeing and spreading your miserable little anti-capitalist, anti-religious, anti-popular entertainment, anti-FUN, messages.

This is life. You can't control it, or other peoples. You have to go with the flow.

[ 05-09-2002, 02:08 PM: Message edited by: Yorick ]

http://www.hughwilson.com
Old 05-09-2002, 02:08 PM   #22
khazadman
User suspended until [Feb13]

nobody forces anyone to watch this stuff.it's just basic supply and demand:the viewers want it,the media gives it to them.
dramnek,were you an art major?one man's art is another man's junk,because art is culturally subjective.what someone in beijing thinks of as art might seem alien to some guy from london.and the reverse is true as well.
Old 05-09-2002, 02:09 PM   #23
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Quote:
Originally posted by khazadman:
nobody forces anyone to watch this stuff.it's just basic supply and demand:the viewers want it,the media gives it to them.
dramnek,were you an art major?one man's art is another man's junk,because art is culturally subjective.what someone in beijing thinks of as art might seem alien to some guy from london.and the reverse is true as well.
Very well said.

Old 05-09-2002, 02:14 PM   #24
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

[quote]Originally posted by Dramnek_Ulk:
Quote:
[qb] people who would rather watch the same empty trash T.V over and over, rather than read, which is still the only serious medium to impart the complex and profound ideas that are so important to understand in becoming a better educated person.
Actually you are wrong. Film is the most powerful medium. Communicates multi-visually (a picture tells a thousand words, a moving picture millions) consciously through verbal language, and emotionally through music.

The written word only conveys conscious thought, not the emotional languages that words can never communicate.

Old 05-09-2002, 02:16 PM   #25
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

"Talking about music, is like dancing about architecture"
-Stravinski

Old 05-09-2002, 02:19 PM   #26
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Dramnek_Ulk:
But why should we have to listen to her bitch about her haircut,
What makes her so good that we should be forced to hear what she thinks about a bit of follicular housekeeping?
She will have no effect on the lives of millions, she merely provides McEntertainment.[/QB]
The same reason we listen to you bitch about her not having any right to be upset about her haircut... she's a human being who happens to have a comment to make and some reporter picked it up. You may not like it, but who forced you to watch/read the Hollywood gossip reports?
Old 05-09-2002, 02:20 PM   #27
Neb
Account deleted by Request

Quote:
Actually you are wrong. Film is the most powerful medium. Communicates multi-visually (a picture tells a thousand words, a moving picture millions) consciously through verbal language, and emotionally through music.

The written word only conveys conscious thought, not the emotional languages that words can never communicate.
Okay, I would like to disagree heavily here. It is difficult for a movie to start as deep thoughts as a book, a book also brings your own imagination into play in order to visualize what you read since the movie provides everything for your senses. A movie can also NEVER have the depth of a book since there you are exposed to both the characters thoughts, emotions and actions whereas in a movie you only see and hear what they do and experience everything from YOUR viewpoint.

I say that the written word carries ten times the power of a movie. At least to me it does, I don't know about everyone else. Some people seem incapable of truly.... Experiencing, a book. Unable to enjoy it at all, I take this as overmuch exposure to movies instead of the written word. Those people are not used to using the imagination for the purpose of visualizing the written at all.
Old 05-09-2002, 02:22 PM   #28
Lord Shield

A perfect example of what Neb just said would be 2001: A Space Odyssey. The film portrayed NOTHING of the character's thoughts and motivations, ,whereas the book was tops

Old 05-09-2002, 02:24 PM   #29
Neb
Account deleted by Request

Quote:
Originally posted by Lord Shield:
A perfect example of what Neb just said would be 2001: A Space Odyssey. The film portrayed NOTHING of the character's thoughts and motivations, ,whereas the book was tops
Another example would be Dune, the movies both lacked the depth and explanations of the book.

[ 05-09-2002, 02:25 PM: Message edited by: Neb ]
Old 05-09-2002, 02:27 PM   #30
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Quote:
Originally posted by Neb:
quote:

Okay, I would like to disagree heavily here. It is difficult for a movie to start as deep thoughts as a book, a book also brings your own imagination into play in order to visualize what you read since the movie provides everything for your senses. A movie can also NEVER have the depth of a book since there you are exposed to both the characters thoughts, emotions and actions whereas in a movie you only see and hear what they do and experience everything from YOUR viewpoint.

I say that the written word carries ten times the power of a movie. At least to me it does, I don't know about everyone else. Some people seem incapable of truly.... Experiencing, a book. Unable to enjoy it at all, I take this as overmuch exposure to movies instead of the written word. Those people are not used to using the imagination for the purpose of visualizing the written at all.
[/QUOTE]Neb, istead of looking at it from a receiver, look at it from the communicators perspective.

If you wanted me to experience your life in Denmark, would you find it easier to write down everything about it, describing the scenery, your emotions, events in totality that affected you? Or would you prefer to actually take me and show me everything as it is, so I could see for myself, and thus share your experience?