Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives

Old 08-21-2001, 12:22 AM   #1
hrizonstickup
Dungeon Master

alright, had to have a catchy title to get your attention to answer a few VERY basic questions. First, how can you tell how well/bad a romance is going? When are you defined as "a happy couple" Now I'm talking in SHADOWS OF AMN, not life. Secound, how does one go about BACKSTABBING someone, if one were so inclined. I realize it is not a special ability, so how exactly does it work??
And last there is a Trapped picture in NEB'S house that ALWAYS kills my theif (JAN, the most fun character in the game if you ask me, or if you didn't) And i'm talking total extermination, beyond the point of resurrection. I have tried potions of power, gauntlets etc....and my little Gnome is always toast.....am i missing something??? ANY help will be much appreciated since i am fairly new to the Baldur's Gate world. OH..also I am running a Kensi planning to dual over to mage, I am only a level 10 and don't plan to dual untill atleast 12, unless you have any pointers on when to make the mighty leap toward magic?? so i lied and had 4 questions, sorry. I'm interested in any tips/tricks fun filled facts you may have on Shadows of Amn (the most addicting thing i've found since Camel Menthols) thanks for givinh me your time..................hrizonstickup
Old 08-21-2001, 01:04 AM   #2
trux

Quote:
Originally posted by hrizonstickup:
alright, had to have a catchy title to get your attention to answer a few VERY basic questions. First, how can you tell how well/bad a romance is going? When are you defined as "a happy couple" Now I'm talking in SHADOWS OF AMN, not life. Secound, how does one go about BACKSTABBING someone, if one were so inclined. I realize it is not a special ability, so how exactly does it work??
And last there is a Trapped picture in NEB'S house that ALWAYS kills my theif (JAN, the most fun character in the game if you ask me, or if you didn't) And i'm talking total extermination, beyond the point of resurrection. I have tried potions of power, gauntlets etc....and my little Gnome is always toast.....am i missing something??? ANY help will be much appreciated since i am fairly new to the Baldur's Gate world. OH..also I am running a Kensi planning to dual over to mage, I am only a level 10 and don't plan to dual untill atleast 12, unless you have any pointers on when to make the mighty leap toward magic?? so i lied and had 4 questions, sorry. I'm interested in any tips/tricks fun filled facts you may have on Shadows of Amn (the most addicting thing i've found since Camel Menthols) thanks for givinh me your time..................hrizonstickup
Don't worry about catching our attention. Every post will be read and answered.

Now on to your questions...

A general rule of telling how well a romance is going is whether he/she is still talking to you. But this could get confusing at some points in some relationships where a dry spell is part of the romance. Check your global variables in ShadowKeeper. If the AerieRomanceActive variable is 1, that means the romance is not happening. If it's 2 it means it's in progress. If it's three it means it has ended badly.

Backstabbing - you must be invisible, either by the spell, a potion or Hide in Shadows. Once this is accomplished you must position your character behind the character you wish to backstab, then attack.

Neb's house - I guess the trap is beyond your thief's capabilities to disarm at this time. Try a Potion of Master Thievery. There are also items in the games that can boost a thief's thieving abilities, but I guess you'll have to wait to find them.

Kensai/Mage - Most people dual their Kensai at either 9th level or 12th. I do 12th for the extra weapon proficiency slot.

Have fun.

------------------
a bunch of long hairs.
trux
Old 08-21-2001, 04:53 AM   #3
DonkeyWan
Drow Warrior

Are Hrizon and fisherman related or what?
Old 08-21-2001, 05:24 AM   #4
Mordar
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Backstabbing is not like it was in Icewind Dale. You just have to stand behind the monster to backstab it. With the 3rd edition rules you can even do a 3d6 crippling strike and concentrate on vital organs to do more damage. You can even backstab with a proper long sword if you want. Don't know if you can in SoA, though. Yoshimo alway failed to hide in shadows if there was a fight. Should try Imoen some time.

About dual classing your kensai, wouldn't do that at 9. You kensai has only +3 to hit and +3 damage compared to normal fighters (and speeld -2 and 3 Kai abilities) and he can't use missile weapons, armor, helmets, shields, bracelets and gauntlets. So when you dual him to a mage, he's very weak until level 10 where you get back your kensai abilities. Dual class your beserker warrior to a mage and give him some bracelets.

[This message has been edited by Mordar (edited 08-21-2001).]
Old 08-21-2001, 08:31 AM   #5
Arachnia
Elite Waterdeep Guard

For the trap in Nebs house, unlock it with a knock spell, then have viconia (if you have her) grab the goods. With her magic res I use her to open all the traps with nasty effects (death spell, green goo traps etc)