Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives

Old 08-20-2001, 01:39 PM   #21
Wildhorse
Dungeon Master

Quote:
Originally posted by Ged:
It really sounds like it could be to do with overclocking and heat - maybe the game is pushing your processor harder than any other game you have - it isn't as intensive for video as others such as doom/quake so i don't really suspect it is to do with resolution - try and slow the processor down to its 'correct' speed and give it another try
That wouldn't explain it at all, it would mean this game would push the edge more than any other game which just isn't so as they are other games out there far more CPU taxing. Anyway, the bottom fact is, the game allows you to set it to CPU speed, which, in turns, would annul your theory about pushing the CPU to the max. I believe that this game as some very hard bugs in it and that some people will coast through these bugs without ever being affected and many others won't coast through. I've played very demanding games before and will after this one and won't cause this many crashes. Just today, 4 to desktop crashes, 1 spontanious reboot. And this as nothing to do with CPU, the fact is that most of these crashes occures when the SAVE command is given.
Old 08-20-2001, 08:35 PM   #22
Nerull
Lord Ao

Quote:
Originally posted by Wildhorse:
That wouldn't explain it at all, it would mean this game would push the edge more than any other game which just isn't so as they are other games out there far more CPU taxing. Anyway, the bottom fact is, the game allows you to set it to CPU speed, which, in turns, would annul your theory about pushing the CPU to the max. I believe that this game as some very hard bugs in it and that some people will coast through these bugs without ever being affected and many others won't coast through. I've played very demanding games before and will after this one and won't cause this many crashes. Just today, 4 to desktop crashes, 1 spontanious reboot. And this as nothing to do with CPU, the fact is that most of these crashes occures when the SAVE command is given.
Mine just crashed last night. I got the "blue screen" stating that system was running low on memory, then everything went black. I restarted, just to discover that my saved game had just vanished. Luckily, my autosave is still there, so I can keep going, but I was doing a bunch of buying/stealing in the promenade, and now I have to do it all over again.

------------------

Death is only the beginning...
Old 08-21-2001, 10:00 AM   #23
Milio
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Thanks everyone for the responses. This board moves faster than I thought!

Specs:
Athlon 1GHz
Iwill KK266 motherboard
256MB Crucial PC133
Radeon64 with latest drivers
Soundblaster Live!

All these parts were moved over from my old Celeron system. They worked fine there, I played through the whole game on that system with no problems. I checked the CPU temp after the game crashed, and it wasn't too hot.

I do think this new system is generally less reliable than my old one. It's really pissing me off. I was playing though the final battle again with Irenicus and had just killed the Slayer form and was about to finish him off, with no significant harm to my party, and the game crashed!!! Grrr....

I'm a bit hardware geek, so I've done all the bios updates and such. I really think this VIA board is crap. If anyone knows what the "Assertion failed in ChDataType" error really means, I'd love to know. Until then I guess I'll just have to wait until the nForce comes out and hope that fixes my problems.
Old 08-21-2001, 11:45 AM   #24
Redblueflare
Galvatron

Does anyone in here ever get the message. A fatal exception has happened at...
It doesn't matter where I am in the game when I save the computer sometimes does this. What's up?

------------------
Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, I just don't have to listen.