Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 11-03-2004, 10:16 AM   #21
Nightwing
Baaz Draconian

Krunchy, get in touch with your local http://www.nami.orgNAMI group and sign up for Family to Family classes if it is really serious. Education is your best friend with any mental illness. Medication is very effective but you need to be able to communicate with the doc. on his level about it. You know your your child better than anyone. Trust your instinks and don't settle for ambigious answers, make the docs spell it out. Meds always need to be adjusted and you don't always have to take them for the rest of your life. Once you learn the warning signs and accept the facts about it than you can make sound decisions on when to stop or lower dossage. I have a daughter with sever Bi-polar, as well as 3 other family members with mental illness and myself with depression. Family to Family was the greatest thing that happened in our lives. It is all about edjucation not a support group, but it kind of turns into one because you get so close to the people there.
There are all kinds of things you need to know about the special ed programs in schools. The rights of the students are very important but some schools tend to fight you them.

[ 11-03-2004, 10:19 AM: Message edited by: Nightwing ]
Old 11-03-2004, 12:04 PM   #22
Sir Kenyth
Fzoul Chembryl

True ADHD is caused by a chemical imbalance or structural problem in the brain. It is the opposite of autism. This is a disability and treatable by drug and psychological therapy.

Many children are thought to have ADHD when in fact it is nothing but a learned behavioral difficulty. Concentrating on difficult things is mental exercise and can be considered uncomfortable and frustrating. Not teaching children to do it at an early age can cause problems later on. Teaching young children to concentrate by reading books with them and not using the TV as a babysitter are some of the best ways to avoid this. A variety of activities meant to stimulate/develop the brain and body, and teaching proper social behavior at a young age is key. If you let your kids run around screaming and do what they want without guidance or structure, you can expect learning difficulty when they start kindergarten.
Old 11-03-2004, 12:18 PM   #23
Dave_the_quack
Baaz Draconian

Quote:
Originally posted by Sir Kenyth:
True ADHD is caused by a chemical imbalance or structural problem in the brain. It is the opposite of autism. This is a disability and treatable by drug and psychological therapy.
What does the chemical balance involve? I'm really interested. If you got your info off a site, could you give us a link to it please?

Quote:
Many children are thought to have ADHD when in fact it is nothing but a learned behavioral difficulty. Concentrating on difficult things is mental exercise and can be considered uncomfortable and frustrating. Not teaching children to do it at an early age can cause problems later on. Teaching young children to concentrate by reading books with them and not using the TV as a babysitter are some of the best ways to avoid this. A variety of activities meant to stimulate/develop the brain and body, and teaching proper social behavior at a young age is key. If you let your kids run around screaming and do what they want without guidance or structure, you can expect learning difficulty when they start kindergarten. [/QB]
I found that really interesting. I read extreme amounts of books as a child.... nor did I run around like a young hooligan (I was a very reserved child, an [img]graemlins/angel.gif[/img] if you will. What on Earth happened.) and yet I still had concentration problems within the classroom. Does this mean that according to your theory I would fall into the category of children with ADD, as opposed to simply having a learned behavioural difficulty? I don't know if I agree with your theory.. but, it does give one food for thought. Thanks!

Also did not know that it was opposite to Autism... Double thanks!
Old 11-03-2004, 01:04 PM   #24
Nightwing
Baaz Draconian

Dave it also depends on your geno-gram. If you are predisposed to the illness there is a better chance you can get it. It has been proven beyond doubt that mental ilness is hereditary so knowing your background helps a lot. There is a problem with over diognosis especially with ADHD and ADD, that is why edjucation is so important. Just because people are different doesn't mean they are suffering from a mental illness. That is also why people should work on managing the meds they take and seeing the warning signs of dissabling behaviors so they can go off meds at some point.
Old 11-03-2004, 06:03 PM   #25
Sir Kenyth
Fzoul Chembryl

Easy there Dave. You sound skeptical, if not totally put off by my post. I'm sorry if I offended. I wasn't directing this at you, but I imagine it has been before given your defensiveness. I read this stuff a while back. Maybe I still have a link buried somewher in my favorites. If not, I will have to hunt. I don't promise I didn't get something mixed up either, although I'm pretty sure I didn't. The site had a scale with autism at one end and ADHD/ADD at the other.

The second part of my post was told to me personally by a psychologist. She was talking about how many people brought in their children for what they were sure was ADHD. Most of them didn't have it. They acted hyper because they were allowed to at home with friends and siblings. Kids around other kids are wont to run around screeching unless taught otherwise. That certainly doesn't mean it applies to you or your situation.
Old 11-04-2004, 04:48 AM   #26
Dave_the_quack
Baaz Draconian

Kenyth: Nope, buddy, I really found your post interesting Thanks for the info. I truly didn't mean to sound defensive lol... sorry if I came off that way.

Truly, there was no sarcasm in my previous post, I really was thanking you for the info Not defensive at all... just trying to ask for a little more info on what you posted.

Don't worry buddy, I was not offended in any way. I also know that you weren't directing the post at me, the thought never even occurred to me. And no, it hasn't been before lol. Hrmm... this is the second time I have been misinterpreted within the same thread. Perhaps I should look into changing the way I write.

Krunchy - sorry for somewhat taking over your thread, and for my defensiveness earlier.
Old 11-04-2004, 12:02 PM   #27
Sir Kenyth
Fzoul Chembryl

Nothing to apologize for Dave. I simply misread you is all. Sometimes it's hard to gauge someone from reading a post. I just try to err on the side of caution. I'm still looking for the site when I get a chance. I actually first found the site when I found out a freind of mine had an autistic daughter. I wanted to know a bit more about it. It's been three years since I last saw it though.
Old 11-04-2004, 01:00 PM   #28
Beaumanoir
Iron Throne Cult

I was asked if I had ADHD today. Seriously. I don't, as far as I know, but apparently I act like I do... Weird..