Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 01-04-2004, 03:37 AM   #11
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Atari screwed it up, yep. They wanted a game in like, six months or sommat and the creators aren't afraid to mention it was severely rushed.
Old 01-04-2004, 05:35 AM   #12
Link
Jack Burton

When will the producers ever realise a good game takes time?
Old 01-04-2004, 06:20 AM   #13
skywalker
Banned User

It's really sad, because it is (could have been?) a really good game. And after Pool of Radiance turned out bad, this one disappoints so many. It makes it seem that games with turn-based combat are not feasable or wanted by gamers.

It looks like Atari can not see beyond short term profits.

There are many people who also bash the game because there is no real story and it is just a hack'n'slash dungeon crawl. To those people I say: "You just don't get it!"

TOEE was based on a classic, beloved module and was pretty much faithful to the source. There was really no place to flesh it out as that would alienate the fans who played the original Pen and Paper version. So I can't believe some people bash it due to poor story and depth. To the extent of a faithful rendition of a popular module, I think Troika succeeded. Unfortunately, as I've already stated, Atari sabotaged the project with greedy intentions. Troika has a proven track record of well made and well received games.

A shame, really.

Mark
Old 01-04-2004, 06:43 AM   #14
machinehead
Drizzt Do'Urden

Hasbro dictated the removal of the mature content. They want to change D&D to a more "G" rating so as to not offend anyone.
Old 01-04-2004, 07:29 AM   #15
the mighty stamar

This is not a bad game. But its not one of the better crpgs.

I would recomend several older games over it. All of the Infinity engine games, Divine Divinity, Gothic 1+2, Wizardry 8 and others. Definitely KOTOR. The two most recent great crpgs for me were gothic 2 and kotor. KOTOR is also D and D in a way, using the d20 system and armor class etc... only its star wars. I think someone who wants to play a D and D crpg should get kotor, it is a much better use of your money.

TOEE ismostly just 40 rooms filled with monsters to kill.
There are bugs but the issue I had with it was just that it had little content. It was not interesting and it was short.

On the positive side, it has the best graphics of any of its genre of crpgs. It also has a great interface and lots of spells and features to mess with.

I would like to someday play a better game with the same interface actually. However I dont recomend people buy this game if theyve missed any of the recent classics.
I give TOEE about 6/10 the same I would give the recent game Lionheart.

Honestly I dont think the forum was too active... because theres really not much to get stuck on in the game or talk about. Theres a lot of monsters and you kill them. No puzzles or meaningful npcs or strategies to apply...

[ 01-04-2004, 07:32 AM: Message edited by: the mighty stamar ]
Old 01-05-2004, 06:29 PM   #16
ratchild
Manshoon

I agree with that Mighty Stamar. ToEE was good, but definitely brief, and a bit buggy. I'm still working on Knights of the Old Republic, and it is indeed one of the best games I've played... Up there in quality with Torment in my opinion. I was also disappointed with lionheart, another example of a publisher fiddling with a developer, in this case they were forced to add multiplayer at the end. Silly publishers... just give the game makers more money, and leave them be [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 01-06-2004, 12:53 AM   #17
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by skywalker:
It's really sad, because it is (could have been?) a really good game. And after Pool of Radiance turned out bad, this one disappoints so many. It makes it seem that games with turn-based combat are not feasable or wanted by gamers.

It looks like Atari can not see beyond short term profits.

There are many people who also bash the game because there is no real story and it is just a hack'n'slash dungeon crawl. To those people I say: "You just don't get it!"

TOEE was based on a classic, beloved module and was pretty much faithful to the source. There was really no place to flesh it out as that would alienate the fans who played the original Pen and Paper version. So I can't believe some people bash it due to poor story and depth. To the extent of a faithful rendition of a popular module, I think Troika succeeded. Unfortunately, as I've already stated, Atari sabotaged the project with greedy intentions. Troika has a proven track record of well made and well received games.

A shame, really.

Mark
It might have succeded at emulating the module, but it still has no story. The module is mostly hack and slash with no story.