Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives

Old 08-24-2001, 08:44 PM   #1
Stevieb5796
Welcomed New User

Hello people!

I had a problem with my computer and I lost all of my save game files!! (I was on chapter 2 having done nalia's quest and the shadow thieves guild etc)

I'm about to restart but need some advice on what sort of character I should create for myself.

I was a thief in my last save games (will be backing up to floppy now! lol), but have been told that it is one of the worst classes to be as the PC.

Could someone give me some advice on a player character that is good to play and fun?

Also, is it worth getting that talking sword?

Thanx!

Steve
Old 08-24-2001, 09:03 PM   #2
Nolek Psyphon
Dungeon Master

All the characters are fun to play in their own way. My personal favourites are monks, sorcerers, swashbucklers and fighter/mages. Thieves are no worse than any other class.....

Spoiler
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
...especially when you get the chance to run your own theives guild.
Old 08-24-2001, 09:06 PM   #3
Nolek Psyphon
Dungeon Master

By the way welcome to the forum.
Don't be afraid to ask any questions you have, we seem to be a friendly bunch here.
Old 08-24-2001, 09:42 PM   #4
Gil-Galad
The Magister

You MUST try A Paladin, if you haven't already! The perfect hero, perfect suited to the story (or vice cersa), and some very cool class-abilities.

And that sword you mention is one of the funniest things in the game. Humour with an edge, so to speak...

Welcome to the forum!
Old 08-24-2001, 09:48 PM   #5
Nanobyte
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

Thieves are by far the worst class for your protagonist to be. Every character you play has a little bit of Thief in them. You can't deny it.

SPOILER>>
>>
>>
>>
>>In Nalia's Keep, after you kill the 3 Trolls, you do take the treasure in the statue or whatever it is, don't you? Thieving.. Even Paladin's must fall back on Thieving at times.

The worst class to play as with the protagonist, if you have an unbalanced party, is any type of Bard. If you want to play a Bard, make sure you have at least 2 Tanks, and 1 Cleric. If you totally mess up with 2 Mages, 2 Thieves, and a Cleric, that's unbalanced. If you want to try something new, try the Sorcerer or Monk. Very fun classes to play with.

If you want a few good laughs, then yes, pick up Lilacar (sp).
Old 08-24-2001, 11:54 PM   #6
fckoln
Dungeon Master

Note that a Monk will be somewhat difficult to deal with at lower levels, not unlike a baby mage. I love both of those classes though. I was a bit disappointed with the ranger quest, big ranger fan I am.

I'd recommend a fighter (dual weapon slot him/her for max damage) sort if you are not well versed in D&D. I picked up D&D about two years ago, having not played since I was 8-9. It will not take long for you to pick up the nuances of the game, and there is always - ALWAYS this forum to ask questions.
Old 08-25-2001, 11:54 AM   #7
HooC
The Magister

I guess I start over once again as Swashbuckler, Assassin or Skald... Not sure which one..
Old 08-25-2001, 12:04 PM   #8
Mack_Attack
Osiris - Egyptian God of the Underworld

Well in the defence of the thief I think it is a great class to play sure there is lots of npc with some skills but some are good in some things and suck in others. I played a thief the whole way through and thought it was a great charcter was able to scout ahead and check on things before the battle ever started and back stabb for some high damage then send the tanks in to finish them off. And when you get the high level and get to choose use any weapon that really helps out. I guess it depends on your playing style. But any class has it s pros and cons. PLease do not say they suck.
Old 08-25-2001, 01:11 PM   #9
Stevieb5796
Welcomed New User

Thankyou all for your welcoming!

I'm about to restart the game (after the evil hard drive problem!!) and I tink I'm gonna start as a sorcerer.

One more question thinking about it.... how do you get those cool moving images into siggies?