Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives

Old 08-16-2001, 08:38 PM   #1
cHiCkEn_HeD
Dungeon Master

Ive heard two ways of saying "Lich". one is "liTch" the other is "leesh". It may be NEITHER of these for all i know! anyone know the proper way to say it? Thanks!
Old 08-16-2001, 08:41 PM   #2
Wildhorse
Dungeon Master

Itch?
Old 08-16-2001, 08:45 PM   #3
cHiCkEn_HeD
Dungeon Master

"LiTch" not "itch" i said ive heard people say "Lich" like this: "Litch"
Old 08-16-2001, 08:50 PM   #4
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

The I is like the I in ditch...

------------------

Devoted member of the Ironworks
Loyal guardian of the OHF
Member of the Ancients' club
Old 08-16-2001, 09:23 PM   #5
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

I remember reading a story about an occurrence at an RPG convention: during a play session, a British DM was describing a setting to a group of mixed American, Australian, and European players. In the setting, there was a Liche standing on a pedestal in a fountain. (don't ask why.) This particular DM pronounced the word "Liche" as "Leek" (hard CH ending.) One of the american players incorrectly mistook the word for "leak", as in "you see a leak in the fountain" and took action to stick his finger into the "leak", whereupon the Liche took umbrage and promptly whacked him. It took forever for the player and the DM to sort out what had actually occurred. Talk about language barriers!

------------------
Old 08-16-2001, 09:30 PM   #6
trux

I pronounce it like "itch" with a "L" in front. Lich.

Quote:
Originally posted by Sazerac:
I remember reading a story about an occurrence at an RPG convention: during a play session, a British DM was describing a setting to a group of mixed American, Australian, and European players. In the setting, there was a Liche standing on a pedestal in a fountain. (don't ask why.) This particular DM pronounced the word "Liche" as "Leek" (hard CH ending.) One of the american players incorrectly mistook the word for "leak", as in "you see a leak in the fountain" and took action to stick his finger into the "leak", whereupon the Liche took umbrage and promptly whacked him. It took forever for the player and the DM to sort out what had actually occurred. Talk about language barriers!
I wonder where in the lich he stuck his finger.

------------------
a bunch of long hairs.
trux

[This message has been edited by trux (edited 08-16-2001).]
Old 08-16-2001, 11:34 PM   #7
Wildhorse
Dungeon Master

Quote:
Originally posted by Sazerac:
... "leak", whereupon the Liche took umbrage and promptly whacked him. It took forever for the player and the DM to sort out what had actually occurred. Talk about language barriers!
There's nothing worse in my book than a leaking Lich...

Old 08-17-2001, 05:21 AM   #8
DonkeyWan
Drow Warrior

At least he didn't try to take a leak in the fountain (Irish slang for urination). Anyway I always pronounce it like the parasite 'leech'
Old 08-17-2001, 05:36 AM   #9
trux

Quote:
Originally posted by DonkeyWan:
At least he didn't try to take a leak in the fountain (Irish slang for urination). Anyway I always pronounce it like the parasite 'leech'
hehe I think that's everyone's slang for urinating.

------------------
a bunch of long hairs.
trux
Old 08-17-2001, 12:10 PM   #10
Istaron
Banned User

Well, I simply pronounse it as it spells... Like the german word "ich" and add an L in the begining

------------------
We call him Bobby Corwen