Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 10-24-2000, 12:06 AM   #1
izzy

Hey All. I am currently attempting to finish up all my loose quests before I proceed to chapter 3. I have enough gold to pay Galeon, but I want to finish some things up first. So here is my question.. What is up with these Mind Flayers. I Found their little area in the sewers, and I guess I had the sewer key from the windspear hills.. but I have no actual quest that involves the mindflayers. I walk in there, kill the people and mindflayer in the 2nd room, go to the third room down the hallways, and literaly get my ass kicked. No one talks to me, no one explains who or what is going on. Is this a quest, or just a killing free for all thing. I tried talking to the mind flayer in the 2nd room, but he wasn't feeling very conversational. I have alredy beat the other quests in the sewer, and this is pissing me off! So if someone can let me in on what the task at hand is, and where to get it as a quest, I'd appreciate it. My 2nd question is really a two parter.. one, Is there a time limit how long you can stay in a chapter, and two, does it MATTER if you stay for a long time in a chapter. I saved and went to chapter 3 just too see what happens, and the cut scene movie made it look like there was a rush to find imoen now. I'm only a level 13 thief!! (Yes, I ran like a chicken from the dragon under the windspear hills, but I killed that damn wizard so bite me!). Any insight would be appreciated. First time I ever played a game like this. Thanks.

Old 10-24-2000, 08:59 AM   #2
Survivor

The mindflayers are part of the *Destroy the cult of the eyeless" quest. If it isnīt in your journal you have to talk to a priest in Helmīs temple first.
Although maybe the people in this cult just arenīt very talkative.
Have fun

Old 10-24-2000, 03:35 PM   #3
Basher
Elite Waterdeep Guard

IMHO that is not a quest. It is just an opportunity to discover a VERY nice item. BTW, you will find also a note, telling you a bit about the reasons, why they are here.
I finished the unseeing eye quest and became honored by the priests of helm without even entering the mind flayer's lair.

Best

B.
Old 10-24-2000, 06:37 PM   #4
Jon Crichton

Izzy - I too got my @$$ handed to me by the mind flayers in the sewers. I took care of the one in the 2nd room, but a room with 4 of them was just too much. FYI - Instead of fighting them, I had Aerie (or any priest) cast Sanctuary, open the door, and procede to the last room. I can't remember what treasure I found. I think it was pretty sweet, though. I also found the letter mentioned earlier in this thread. Hope this helps.

Old 10-24-2000, 08:30 PM   #5
The_Daemon

HA! Weak all of you... yes the mighty psionics of the Mind Flayers are difficult to handle... but wait until u have to deal with them in the Underdark! Kill the evil beasts...if anything for the self gratitude and the exp. Remember... get the remove paralysis spell ready and if any of your characters get intelligence drained... get them OUTTA the killing zone until they recover that intelligence!

Old 10-25-2000, 04:01 PM   #6
Survivor

@izzy: Sorry, I really believed it was part of the cult-quest, but I visited the last room today and there are only a letter and a wand of wonder - nothing to link it to the eyeless-cult.

@Jon Crichton: You can beat the mindflayers by luring them one by one into another room. Alone they are not much of a threat - pretty low on hit points, I think.

@everyone: What is the use of this staff of wonder ? I can get 15k for it so Iīm really tempted to sell it.

Old 10-25-2000, 10:42 PM   #7
izzy

You will all be happy to know I kicked all their little tentacle faced mind flaying butts. Took awhile.. and a little underhandedness, mainly LOTS of traps set up in the hallways and some oil of speed potions. I didn't have that sanctuary spell, and the mind flayer's hold spells went through most of the magic defenses I have. And for all my trouble.. I got a wand with a damn warning label. What is up with that!! I'm afraid to use it. Plus, the note led me to believe that there may be more to the mind flayers later in this game.. they where building an army or something. And now with them beaten, and my courage rising, I'm gonna go see what's in that evil coffin thing back at the beginning of the beholder quest. After a quick save of course

Hey! I might even go to chapter 3

Old 10-26-2000, 10:20 AM   #8
Kainazzo

Mind Flayers were weak. Just play smart. I used Mazzy with a bunch of mind protection equipment and chaotic commands on minsc and my main char (lv12 Cavalier), and hasted them. My boys, and girl, just stomped right through em. Havent really found out if they are part of a quest, although i think it implies that they are not in the letter you find. It says "you're being here has porbably interrupted whatever they were doing." Haven't really found a use for the wand of wonder yet.

Old 10-29-2000, 10:56 AM   #9
Twentecable

The mindflayers are difficult to beat but try luring them one for one in your trap of partymembers...the intelligence drain will quit after a time.

Old 11-01-2000, 06:06 PM   #10
izzy

Off Topic, but I did get the gold arms and legs from that tomb at the beginning of the cult of the eyeless quest, in the sewers. What is the deal with this? It said there where other pieces hidden somewhere. Is this a quest? I have nothing in my journal.

- Izzy Level 14 Swashbuckler