Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Wizards & Warriors Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 01-29-2001, 12:38 AM   #1
DaveJ

Hi All. I've searched this forum & also posted at comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg, but can't find a definitive "yes" from anyone who actually found where it works in Skull Castle. The Lich's Key doesn't work in any lock for other doors there (thought maybe it was just a duplicate), including the colored-panel door in the Lich's study (which seemed like the most likely place for it).

Thought I was onto something when I found that the button (not a wing-latch but an actual push-button) on the wall hidden behind some crates north of the puzzle-pool area indeed opened a submerged passageway in the puzzle-pool. But that just led up to a small room with a chest of regular items, nothing needing a key. Apparently nobody here who found the button had figured that out, so that's solved.

It also occured to me that maybe Adrianna was lying about it, perhaps because you chose not to join her vampire group. Her "buddies" accused her of lying about the Banishing Scroll freeing them, but it seemed she really thought it would work herself.

Anyway, if somebody knows that it does open something, please don't spoil me but just say "yes" so I can keep trying myself to find it. Otherwise I'll write Heuristic Park and try to get a yes or no answer from them.

Thanks for any help!

DaveJ
Old 01-29-2001, 03:06 PM   #2
Xignal76

I thought that the Lich's Key was the one you picked up in the spell trap room (entered via NE water passage) and used to open the door to his chambers from the stairwell.

If not, I'd like to know too.

Rick
Old 01-29-2001, 03:45 PM   #3
Moni

Sazerac says in Avalon's thread "Lich" that the Bone key opens the door o the Lich's room.
Wyv said in another thread posted days ago that the Lich's key (the one Adrianna gives you) opens a chest in the bottom of the dungeon somewhere.
I never found the chest (but never returned to look for one) and my Lich's key is still sitting on the dock @ Brimloch Roon, lol
: )
Moni
Old 01-29-2001, 04:34 PM   #4
DaveJ

Thanks for your replies..

The Lich's Key is one of two items offered you by Adrianna (sp?) the Vampiress, the other is a ring. Yes, I did search through those same posts here & the treasure room down in the dungeon area (past the lava floor room where you get the Relic the Lich wants) just has one of those winglatch things on the wall outside that open it, no keyhole. The chests inside are just regular ones which my thief can open, no key of any kind is necessary.
Old 01-29-2001, 04:36 PM   #5
skywalker
Banned User

I never found a use for that key either, not that that should make you any happier!

Mark
skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2001, 06:57 PM   #6
Wyvern
Ironworks Moderator

According to the Strategy Guide (also known as the tome of many errors) the lich key - from Adrianna - is supposed to open the second locked vault way down in the bridge/lift area. One vault is where you locate Mada Mabbig - the other is off the north section of the bridge. I don't recall ever having to use a key for that particular vault - so I think the key is worthless.

Wyv
Wyvern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2001, 07:07 PM   #7
skywalker
Banned User

I agree Wyv, I think I had that vault open and looted long before I got the key. Who knows what it's for.

Mark

I also just sent BradyGames an email:

Hi,
Why is there so much erroneous info in this strategy guide. Do you intend to post any corrections on your website?
Thanx,
Mark C. Williams

I'll let you all know if I get any response.
Old 01-29-2001, 07:20 PM   #8
Scronan
Zhentarim Guard

Howdy,

My understanding was that the key from Adrianna opens the door in the Lich's study. If you've tried picking it, you'll notice that a level 12 Thief has some trouble, but its doable. Maybe having level 5 lockpicks makes it easy, but it can be done.

I had already looted the place, then I tried the Vampire Ring, which of course back when I was playing in the pre patch days, it would crash the game big time. So, I opted for the key and thought I'd missed something.

And I found that the key did open the door in the study, but being that you can pick it open, I find picking the key to be quite lame.

The Vampire Ring is a helluva item, and supposedly stops a vampires bloodthirst...but I'm not sure what it does if you are not one.

Hope this helps!

Scronan
Scronan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2001, 07:27 PM   #9
skywalker
Banned User

The ring will regenerate +1, but it also gives 100% protection from Mind, Paralysis, and Death magic. It is cursed, but has no detrimental effect other than you can't remove it except at the Temple!

Mark

"Kayle Humpa Wama!", Krueg.
Old 01-29-2001, 08:10 PM   #10
DaveJ

Thanks again everyone...

Basically it all confirms what I've thought, that there is no use for the key. I also had long since looted the treasure room in the dungeon (the "2nd locked vault" the strategy guide refers to) by the time I got the key from Adrianna. There was a simple winglatch just outside in the corridor that opened it. Scronan says it worked on the Lich's study door upstairs, but I tried it several times, with different characters, even playing back to that point with two different saves (thinking at first it HAD to be that door, there was NO other left!). But then I looked at the dialog from speaking with Adrianna, and she also said it would open the Lich's treasure vault "deep within the castle" or something to that effect. If anyone else can confirm it also worked on the study lock, I'd sure like to hear from them too. If so, there must have been a bug involved. I played that entire section post-patch, incidentally.

I'll email HP tomorrow and try to get their take on it's purpose, if any. I think they either forgot to equip the dungeon-area treasure vault with a lock for the key, or forgot to remove the key from the game when they decided to put a winglatch there instead.

DaveJ