Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 10-09-2002, 10:40 PM   #11
LennonCook
Jack Burton

For the spelltrap things, I have one major disagreement... it says "Spelltrap, memorised" - the Staff of the Magi also casts it [img]smile.gif[/img]
LennonCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2002, 12:12 PM   #12
Alson
Galvatron

Quote:
Originally posted by LennonCook:
For the spelltrap things, I have one major disagreement... it says "Spelltrap, memorised" - the Staff of the Magi also casts it [img]smile.gif[/img]
Lennoncook - The reason we use a memorized Spell Trap is so we can recharge it, thus using it again and again.
The SoTM Spell Trap can only be cast once per day and cannot be recharged (well, it can be recharged, but with heavy cheese ).

Quote:
Originally posted by SixofSpades:
1) It deals only with SoA--ToB spells.

Are there any other spells?
This is a BG2 Spell Reference.

2) The ways to use the spells (to the point where it practically becomes ABuse) are right out there in front of God and Man. It's a matter of personal taste, I know, but I would let the players figure out the advanced techniques for themselves.....or at least use cryptic wording.

We tried to be as informative as possible...
Whether one decides to read it or not - it's his call.
Thanks for the feedback, guys! [img]smile.gif[/img]
Keep it coming!

[ 10-10-2002, 12:14 PM: Message edited by: Alson ]
In memory of Ilan Ramon - the first Israeli astronaut.<br /><br /><br />[url]\"http://members.chello.nl/~j.vanthull/BG2SR/Home.htm\" target=\"_blank\">BGII Spells Reference</a> - everything you ever wanted to know about spells!
Alson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2002, 04:20 AM   #13
LennonCook
Jack Burton

[quote]Originally posted by Alson:
Quote:
Originally posted by LennonCook:
Lennoncook - The reason we use a memorized Spell Trap is so we can recharge it, thus using it again and again.
The SoTM Spell Trap can only be cast once per day and cannot be recharged (well, it can be recharged, but with heavy cheese ).
Staff of the Magi spell trap doesn`t need to be recharged, though... lasts for about 20 hours game time, and absorbs a LOT of spells, or so i`ve read. [img]smile.gif[/img]
LennonCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2002, 06:57 AM   #14
Jim
Quintesson

Quote:
Staff of the Magi spell trap doesn`t need to be recharged, though... lasts for about 20 hours game time, and absorbs a LOT of spells, or so i`ve read.
Minor correction...it lasts 8 hours which is more than enough for a long dungeon haul.
Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2002, 10:25 AM   #15
Alson
Galvatron

The thing about Endless Spells is that you can recharge the Spell Trap itself, so you can repeat the strategy over and over again. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Spell Trap MUST be memorized if you want to recharge it.
You can't recharge the Staff's one with a spell - you must use the Bag of Holding cheese.
In memory of Ilan Ramon - the first Israeli astronaut.<br /><br /><br />[url]\"http://members.chello.nl/~j.vanthull/BG2SR/Home.htm\" target=\"_blank\">BGII Spells Reference</a> - everything you ever wanted to know about spells!
Old 10-13-2002, 04:52 AM   #16
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Alson:
~~ You can't recharge the Staff's one with a spell ~~
You can. I did not need to rest in ToB, but I can still repeatedly cast the Staff of Magi's Spell Trap. One of the reasons why the Cloak of Mirroring is useless to me, and why I prefer wearing the Improved Cloak of Protection +2
Dundee Slaytern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2002, 12:20 PM   #17
Alson
Galvatron

I meant recharging the Spell Trap specifically, without the randomness factor...
Old 10-14-2002, 04:02 AM   #18
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
I meant recharging the Spell Trap specifically, without the randomness factor...
Maybe for a Mage, but for a Sorcerer, it is as good as guaranteed.
Old 10-14-2002, 12:08 PM   #19
Alson
Galvatron

Higher chance? Sure.
Guaranteed? No.

Even with 18 WIS, the (average) chance of getting the Rest Option is 20% - that is, 1 out of 5 casting, which means you spend 5 level 9 spells.

With Endless Spells(TM), you only spend 2 level 9 spells - which, for me, means 3 more Planetars/Dragon Breaths/Timestops/Improved Alacrities... [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-14-2002, 12:30 PM   #20
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Higher chance? Sure.
Guaranteed? No.
Even with 18 WIS, the (average) chance of getting the Rest Option is 20% - that is, 1 out of 5 casting, which means you spend 5 level 9 spells.
With Endless Spells(TM), you only spend 2 level 9 spells - which, for me, means 3 more Planetars/Dragon Breaths/Timestops/Improved Alacrities... [img]smile.gif[/img]
200 damage, 400 damage. In the end they are all dead anyway. This will be more applicable for a Mage as they cannot afford to waste their level 9-10 spell slots, but for a Sorcerer... sacrificing one level 9 spell slot for Spell Trap is not advisable and unnecessary. Besides... one Project Image means 6 Wishes already. [img]smile.gif[/img]

4 if you factor in Time Stop and Improved Alacrity.

Even if you do not get it during the battle, you can get it afterwards without the need to rest. 'Ordinary' Mages will need to rest though. Hence... it is not good for a Sorcerer to learn Spell Trap as the Staff of Magi one is all you need.