Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Wizards & Warriors Forum

Old 01-27-2008, 12:11 AM   #1
cardtrick
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Default I want this game!

I've been following a great Let's Play Wizards and Warriors thread over on RPG Codex that has really made me want to try this game.

Unfortunately, it's in that awkward position where it's old enough to be practically impossible to buy but not old enough to be really considered abandonware. Amazon has several used copies available. Although I would prefer a new copy, I could deal with a used one as long as it came with a manual -- however, none of the available copies have one. To make matters worse, I can't find a copy of the manual online; even the usually trusty replacementdocs.com is no help.

Does anyone know how I could buy this game, with a manual? Or, failing that, where I can find a copy of the manual if I buy the game used without it?

Thanks in advance for your help!
cardtrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 02:25 AM   #2
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

Default Re: I want this game!

Welcome to the boards, cardtrick May you soon set forth to save the Gael Serran...

You can find a copy of the manual on the game CD itself. Not necessarily as good as the printed one, but it's quite handy just the same.

I took a quick look at the Let's Play thread... nice, although I couldn't see the pictures. !#$%!#$% Bandwidth exceeded... in any case, you might want to read some of the stuff in the Gael Serran Library, in the sticky thread up top. Some of us here have had fun writing our adventures out... another genre of fan fiction, I guess you'd say.

We've also got a good Tech Tips thread here, with solutions to many problems (like getting it to run under XP, among others).

In any case, come on back and keep us posted on your acquisition and game play
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Bungleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 09:52 AM   #3
Wyvern
Ironworks Moderator

Welcome to the boards, cardtrick!!!

There are 8 copies of the game up for sale on Ebay currently. I didn't check on Amazon but the game can be had - you just have to look around a bit! Hope you will find a copy soon!!

Wyv
Old 01-27-2008, 12:27 PM   #4
cardtrick
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Thanks, guys. I didn't realize the manual would be on the CD -- I thought the game was released before that became commonplace. Cool, I'll pick up a used copy. Maybe I'll be back here soon enough . . .
Old 01-27-2008, 02:53 PM   #5
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

You're welcome

Hope to see you back soon!
-+-+-+
Old 01-31-2008, 12:40 PM   #6
Woodwose
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I think, the manual on Cd contains the same information like the printed one. But unfortunately not all information you would need. For example it won't tell you how to jump (press zero), and you will have to jump to complete the game.
Also you'll have to find out by yourself how to use ladders (or read the "best tips" here).
Woodwose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 01:31 PM   #7
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

I'm sure it's the *exact* same thing as the printed one, albeit perhaps updated slightly. But the missing practical information... that's why we have Best Tips

I personally prefer the ah-splat method of navigating ladders.

Aaaaaahhhhh!!!!

*SPLAT*

-+-+-+
Old 02-01-2008, 07:49 PM   #8
cardtrick
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Well, the game arrived this afternoon!

I just got the chance to sit down and install it, and it went without a hitch. I used the patches on this site. I booted it up and had no problems at all (made it through the opening video and then into the game itself with no trouble). I'm going to take a good hard read through the manual, and then I'm off and running. Wish me luck!
Old 02-04-2008, 06:36 PM   #9
cardtrick
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Hmm, so I ran into a couple of issues initially and had to convert the avi's, following the instructions here, which fixed them.

I've been having a great time in the game so far. I don't know why this has a bad reputation, or why it got overlooked -- I think it's incredibly fun so far, and the character building system seems very deep, which is essential for this kind of game.

However, my fun stopped today. I'm hoping this is a known issue with an easy fix, but a quick search didn't turn anything up. I just entered the Serpent's Temple, and explored a little bit. Ran into the Head Wizard, talked to him for a while, and agreed to go clean out the serpent holds. Upon entering the holds, I headed under water and swam over to a tunnel where I had to fight an unholy filth. Okay, killed it, no problem.

Then it seems clear I'm supposed to continue up that tunnel. However, if I try to move that way nothing happens except for some vibration of the screen. I try with the mouse and with the keyboard. I try jumping, I try holding the shift button, I try wiggling in different directions, I try sidestepping. Even turning around completely and trying to go back the way I came resulted in absolutely no movement. Eventually my characters drowned and died.

Well, that sucks. Fortunately I had saved just before diving in the water, so I didn't have to do much to try this again. However, in three different attempts exactly the same thing happened. I decided that maybe the dying body of the creature was tripping me up somehow and preventing me from moving, so with some patience I was able to make the creature fall asleep with a Witch stick, which caused it to sink in the water and then slide down the slanted tunnel back the way I came (note that I can still move during the fight). So I followed it back and killed it. Lo and behold, I could still move. I thought, great! Now I'm fine. But no -- once more, even without the unholy filth there, I found my party getting stuck as they moved up the tunnel. ARGH!

Anyway, I've tried everything I can think of. Does anyone know a fix for this? Or is it possible that there's nothing important up that tunnel? I'm desperate for help, I really love this game so far!

EDIT: Nevermind, I figured it out. I ran a search here for "unholy filth" and got a post in the Best Tips thread suggesting using my smallest character as party leader. Tried it with my ratling, and I got through fine! This board is a great resource.

Last edited by cardtrick; 02-04-2008 at 07:59 PM. Reason: Fixed
Old 02-04-2008, 08:34 PM   #10
Shadow Stranger

If you have a big party, all Omphaaz or whatever, use Vanish the moment that your automap shows that you have entered a new map. This almost has to work as the area of the new map is so small.
Shadow Stranger is offline   Reply With Quote