Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives

Old 01-21-2001, 09:44 AM   #1
The Corinthian

Just started playing BG2 and getting into it but I think there may be a problem with my fighter character.
He is a pure fighter at lvl.10 now but the last two level ups he has only received 3 hit points.However many times I reload it remains at 3, is this normal or some kind of game glitch?
His constitution is 19, so isnt his bonus to the roll 5?Has this happened to any1 else or, as I said, is it a glitch I am having?
BTW, I'd really like some party recommendations.
Currently I am playing with my main character-fighter.Minsc, Keldorn,Aerie,Jaheira and Jan.I've read a lot that Nalia is a better mage than Aerie, but I dont want to lose Aerie and her healing spells/support magic.Besides after Minsc made her his witch I think it would be a bit hard on him to dump her :=)!Should I exchange Jan for Imoen when the time comes, and is Imoen a strong enough primary mage for the party?Also is she a good enough thief to take Jans place?

Old 01-21-2001, 09:55 AM   #2
Armisael

First, normal. The rules state that past level nine, characters only gain one to three HP on each advancement.

Second, your character being a fighter is a good choice. Minsc has the highest strength in the game and is a good tank. Keldorn is not good. He doesn't have the obligatory 18/xx strength all fighters should, and his dexterity is terrible as well, meaning if you want him to be of any worth, you'll need to throw away a strength boosting girdle and the gauntlets of dexterity. Aerie is very ordinary. As a multiclass, she won't even get level seven mage spells, and you'll be hanging out for her level six ones. Jaheira's a good character; given the right gear you can turn her into a frontliner. Jan is the second best thief in the game, the first being Yoshimo, but he's also an illusionist, so that does a bit to close the gap. My recommendation would be replacing Keldorn with Viconia and Aerie with Edwin; if you're dead set on keeping Aerie, I'd just replace Keldorn with Edwin.

Good luck.

Old 01-21-2001, 05:33 PM   #3
The Corinthian

Hey Armisael(hope you get this), thanks for your help man.
Its much appreciated!
I probably will keep Aerie, and lose Keldorn later down the line.Bit of a shame as I really like him, I dont know, I might stick with him and see what I can do.Anyway I dont want to use Viconia and Edwin as they are evil characters and my party is primarily good.
I plan on playing through another couple of times as a neutral character and as an evil character and I hope to use different NPCs those times around.
Thanks for your help anyway man.

Old 01-21-2001, 06:01 PM   #4
el_kalkylus
Drizzt Do'Urden

The pure fighter is not the best choice, a kit would have been better (not wizard slayer though). But don't let this detail bother you, just keep on playing. It is the roleplaying that counts.

I also think Keldorn is pretty bad. You need to give him bracers of dexterity and girdle of giant strength if he is to be a good fighter, but maybe you think he is worth it because he is the only one that can use the holy avenger.

I think Jan is a better thief than Yoshimo (because of the items he wears), but Yoshimo is much better in combat. Yoshimo can be better thief than Jan later in the game though. You should definately choose Imoen over Jan, because she is a sufficient thief (not even close to Jan, but you don't need more) and a good mage.

It is quite a powerful party you have with 4 fighters and all. Keep Aerie if you wish and replace your current thief with Imoen later. I don't think there will be any trouble with this party.