Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 09-14-2001, 02:35 PM   #1
Zoltan
Symbol of Cyric

Did you meet the mage in Underdark "Valith"? (or was it Vithal?) Whatever, we finished off all the 3 elemental portals then he gave me a rod and disappears no xp reward only a rod
When you pickpocket him, you find 2 9th level scroll and 3 8th level scroll but theres nothing in my journal maybe I should kill him after he rewarded me? What is your attitude agains this guy? Maybe theres something I didnt know

Yngwie J. Amadeus Zoltan

"Diamond Guardian Of ALSB"
Old 09-14-2001, 03:21 PM   #2
Sorcerer Alex

I don't know much about him - except that the rod he gives you is a pathetic reward. I think you should pickpocket him for all he has, then just leave him. I always think it's better to leave people alive wherever possible.

Old 09-14-2001, 03:23 PM   #3
Jim
Quintesson

I think it's Vithal,

After completion of the portals, he gives you a rod of absorbtion. If you tell him that wasn't enough, he gives you several high level scrolls. If you tell him it still isn't enough, he attacks giving you around 20000XP and a helmet that can cast death spell. He is also evil, so I had no problems killing him.
Old 09-14-2001, 03:26 PM   #4
Ugaya
Manshoon

I think this quest is triggered by talking to the Duergar and buying one of their Freedom Scrolls. When you help him to get his treasure he offers the rod (you receive 20.000 XP), if you complain you`ll obtain in addition at least a Horrid Wilting Scroll. If you get to greedy he will (try to) fight you and you get the scrolls you pickpocketed (Time Stop, Wail of the Banshee). I chose the second possibility and get the 20.000 XP as well.
The XP are not mentioned in the text window.
Old 09-14-2001, 03:36 PM   #5
floyd
Zhentarim Guard

he was ticking me off... so i killed him. no rep decrease, the guy is just worth free spells and exp, so why not?
Old 09-14-2001, 07:08 PM   #6
Zoltan
Symbol of Cyric

The ideal thing to do is "to pickpocket and kill him" it does not ruin/effect your game play/career/reputation. Also his alignment is evil. So time for violence!!! Like I did in shaugin city (I should be the MOST neutral fighter in world! First I helped the prince killed the king and then killed the prince just for balance!
Old 09-14-2001, 07:46 PM   #7
dulouz
Manshoon

You get pretty good xp for whacking a bunch of elementals. At this point of the game they are easy so the xp is almost a freebee.
Old 09-14-2001, 08:26 PM   #8
Jim
Quintesson

Possible Spoiler
I totally overlooked this the first few times I played this game through. If you venture to the elemental gates before you take on the Vithal quest, 10 elementals will appear at each gate and attack you, giving you - 10*6000XP for Fire elementals (=60,000XP), 10*6000XP for Earth elementals (=60,000XP) and 10*7000XP for Air elementals (=70,000XP) equalling a grand total of 190,000 XP! Healthy!