Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion

Old 02-03-2006, 05:29 PM   #1
Felix The Assassin
The Dreadnoks

Ok, the Deputy Sheriff told me to put away my real gun, (10GA loaded with Rocksalt), and switch to paintabll guns. For added effect, freeze paint balls prior to using on human targets.

So, my question to you Ironworkers are:
1. What is the velocity of a paint ball gun?
2. What is the ROF (rate of fire)?
3. Reload time?
4. Semi auto round to round fire time?
5. Range; A. Maximum (how far) B. Effective.(how far vs accuracy)
6. External tank. Where (my air compressor?) and how(special equipment?) does one go about filling it?

I read a review on a complete rig: Kingman, forget the model, attempts to look like an M4, folding stock, 20oz tank, external hopper, and some other stuff included, for a price I'd be willing to pay.

A one time Tanks for your thoughts and comments.

Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe to assure the survival and the success of liberty.

John F. Kennedy
35th President of The United States

The Last Shot

Honor The Fallen

Jesus died for our sins, and American Soldiers died for our freedom.

If you don't stand behind our Soldiers, please feel free to stand in front of them.
Felix The Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006, 05:55 PM   #2
Lucern
Quintesson

I've only played around with rentals...so this is only battlefield experience with no testing or training. It's also been fully 10 years since I've played with them.

Questions and Answers:

1)I bet you can find such specs somewhere, but as for velocity, you can see the projectile

2&4)Old stingray model semi-auto shoots 7 per second if your finger is willing and able. There are full auto ones, of course...

3)Assuming 1 jam incident per reload (not unreasonable), requiring some shaking, I'd say 7-10 seconds if you had the ammo at the ready and weren't concerned whether a few spilled. Given the ranges at which they're used, running out of ammo usually means 'death' unless you're well supported.

5)A)Longest shot I've made is about 100 yards, with a longer barreled gun (the stingray), arcing up somewhat like a bow. Very lucky. B)Paintball guns in my day begin to sink significantly at like 30 yards.

Now for my questions:

Where are you going with that, Mister? (What in tarnation are you doing?) Deputy Sheriff? Marking what? Were you firing rock salt at people? If you plan to play with others rather than wreak domestic terror, freezing paintballs will get you ejected, or at the least, make you fairly unpopular

And be careful, you'll put someone's eye out.
Lucern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006, 06:05 PM   #3
Madman-Rogovich
Lord Soth

Okay hope this helps, [img]smile.gif[/img]

1. I have no idea, (though I know its not that high)

2. ROF? I'm not sure ( depending on the gun i'd guess somewhere ranging from 2 to 4 per second )

3. Reloads? Depends how fast you are! time taken to to fill yer average gun about 5 seconds.

4. Again unsure but its definately a fraction of a second.

5. Max range I've seen would be about 60 metres. though as range increases accuracy and effectiveness will lessen - a strong breeze will curve the ball off target

6. As far as I'm aware some guns will come with air compressors and some don't. The standard for reloading is simply pouring the balls into the hopper, although I know there are handgun varieties that use clips.

One more thing tho, they are alot of fun
Old 02-03-2006, 07:40 PM   #4
Felix The Assassin
The Dreadnoks

Quote:
Originally posted by Lucern:
Now for my questions:

Where are you going with that, Mister? (What in tarnation are you doing?) Deputy Sheriff? Marking what? Were you firing rock salt at people? If you plan to play with others rather than wreak domestic terror, freezing paintballs will get you ejected, or at the least, make you fairly unpopular

And be careful, you'll put someone's eye out.
Long story short. John sold 320 acres, and some bastard of a developer bought it all, and built 235 "Suburban" houses on it. So, along comes wanna be teenage thugs. We used to be pretty 'spectful round here, doors did not need to be locked, and keys were left in the trucks, and tractors.
No more!
Rock salt is Non-Lethal Thou the one that receives a blast might think otherwise. The Sheriff said he cannot commit a full time patrol, the township does not have a force, and the money has not yet been allocated for a Constable.
So, with the Sheriffs knowledge, we protect ourselves. The back of my property runs along a stretch of the "Subdivision", and I have human tracks where there should not be any.
These wannabe's come out over the weekend, in the wee hours trying to use their "skills" on us. For the most part, we all bought our 'mini-farms' in the late 90's when we were stationed here. And we had our houses built and moved in at retirement. So, these teenage slicker's are dealing with a whole lot of retired soldiers, who really don't give a rat's backside about them, their little style, or their pranks, which is going to eventually cause them severe bodily harm. We surely would like to meet their parents, but don't think that is going to happen anytime soon!
In comparison, a 10 ga shotgun loaded with rock salt has a maximum effective range of about 50m. It produces a psycological effect of 10+, a pain factor of 10+, a residual factor of 10+, and normally requires medical attention. It has a 'you have been shot, stop right now' lasting effect. "Normally", people who do things they should not and have received a rock salt blast, gain a I will never do that again attitude. Not sure if a paint ball gun, (frozen ammo) will produce that or not. But to help the Sheriff, we have all agreed to try it.

Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe to assure the survival and the success of liberty.

John F. Kennedy

The Last Shot

Honor The Fallen

If you don't stand behind our Soldiers, please feel free to stand in front of them.
Old 02-03-2006, 09:06 PM   #5
robertthebard
Xanathar Thieves Guild

Good luck with that. Sounds like a bad situation, that could get worse.
robertthebard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006, 09:30 PM   #6
Madman-Rogovich
Lord Soth

I think the *frozen* rounds should cause enough sting for them to forget it. Tho I'd say give it a shot, if it doesnr work > make with the rocksalt
Old 02-03-2006, 10:44 PM   #7
Ladyzekke
Ironworks Atomic Moderator

Hmmm, how about investing in some electrified fencing LOL. Zap! Like a human bug zapper hee!

Reality Show Recaps
Ladyzekke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006, 11:14 PM   #8
Sir Degrader
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

1) You can crank it up to 300+ FPS, but the "safe" limit is 250, and thats wearing a mask. Any hits to the face WILL probably end blowing the guy's eyes out. Aiming with a paintgun is a matter of luck, and , if you have a REALLY nice gun (Angel,etc), skill.
2) Varies, though 22 bps is a good amount.
3) As fast as you can feed balls into your hopper. Pop the lid, and plug balls, they'll fire as you feed.
4)No idea.
5) Again, Sub 50ft for max accuracy, Tippmann flatline barrels claim 200ft.
6) Tank is attached to gun itself.
Sir Degrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006, 11:26 PM   #9
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

You can buy a whole lot of paintball rounds for the cost of an electric fence...

Keep records of your incidents, Felix. I'm sure they'll be interesting reading... only don't leave 'em where they can be used as evidence

BTW, this link shows the velocity of a Tippman 98 as being approximately 285 FPS. The second round of testing had a velocity of 295 FPS, attributed to the CO2 tank heating up.

They also say that an experienced player can achieve around 7 shots per second, although the official specs are just 5.

Hmmm... The Spyder E-99 has a ROF of 13 per second... but needs an agitated hopper. And the Impulse can hit up to 20 per second... still needing an agitated hopper.

Can you set up video to catch the little buggers squealing in pain?
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Bungleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006, 11:44 PM   #10
Felix The Assassin
The Dreadnoks

Quote:
Originally posted by ladyzekke:
Hmmm, how about investing in some electrified fencing LOL. Zap! Like a human bug zapper hee!
Jeff, my neighbor to the North tried. He ran a mixed line intermingled with his regular fencing along his outbound boundry to the 'subs'. It was found short grounded the morning after his truck was broke into.

John F. Kennedy

The Last Shot

Honor The Fallen