Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 03-06-2001, 04:29 AM   #1
Ziroc

A few of you have been kinda miffed at the amount of 'spam' or 'posts for a star ranking' (grin), So I just wanted to ask you guys and gals to ease up on these type of posts.

If you do it though, please keep it to this forum

On a lighter note, I was thinking about adding more 'rankings' closer together. (i.e. it takes 200 post to reach one, I may cut that to 50 to reach a new ranking). That way, it'll allow newer users to reach new levels without having to post spam a lot..

Lemme know, I'm not mad at ANYONE, so don't take this post the wrong way!!
(or will bite ya!)

Ziroc

[This message has been edited by Ziroc (edited 03-06-2001).]

Old 03-06-2001, 04:31 AM   #2
Griever
Manshoon

Nah... this is better. You WILL work hard for it...hehe

------------------

Tifa has her Cloud, Squall his Rinoa, Sephiroth?? hehe
Old 03-06-2001, 04:39 AM   #3
sylent
Emerald Dragon

I have reached my goal of 50 posts, but I tried not to blatantly spam to get here...
It can get a bit excessive...
Ahhhh... not the killer Chocolate man!!!

------------------

"Watch your back" - Sylent

[This message has been edited by sylent (edited 03-06-2001).]
Old 03-06-2001, 10:06 AM   #4
Black Knight
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

I agree that posting just to post is pretty much just taking up space. Try to add something to the thread if it is only a . I know that I have posted a lot in the past couple of days, but I never intentionally spammed just for spam's sake. I liked Tobbin's way of always adding to a post. I figure it is like using codes in BGII. Makes it easier, but isn't it more worthwhile to earn it? Just a thought ...

BK
Old 03-06-2001, 10:10 AM   #5
Ramon de Ramon y Ramon
Red Dragon

Well, between all of her 100%-genuine spam Cb once in awhile says something really insightful - I know it is amazing : on Rikard's "old member" thread she told people not to worry about spamming for rank too much, as it is only a phase that will pass soon. I happen to think that she is right on the money.

And, Ziroc, please do not cut the intervals between ranks that would only take the challenge away and could at the same time encourage spamming for rank.

Hi, Chocolate !

------------------
So long !

R³ - Co-president(s) of the Club of Broken Hearts
Old 03-06-2001, 10:11 AM   #6
Sir_Tainly

I agree, I know I have been guilty of spam, but I have never posted a message purely for posts, except when a thread was about the starts eg. I am a magister now type thing. There are some messages with just 1 letter each spelling out "SPAM", which in my opinion is a little pointless. I am trying to keep my postings within limits, hence the fact that I'm about 300 posts behind the top scorers. The silly thing is the is no tangible benefit for the new status so why are people so obsessed?

------------------

Old 03-06-2001, 10:35 AM   #7
Moridin
Fzoul Chembryl

I will openly admit that I did post a couple of times just to post! SORRY!!!!But, I will say that the majority have been genuine replies to this forum and the BGII forum. Thank you Ziroc for stepping in....I don't think you have to enforce it, just mentioning it will make people stop Spamming for the ranking.
And I also agree that you should not change the ranking system....we are already used to it and have come to accept that you don't need 250+ posts to be welcome and heard!

------------------
Old 03-06-2001, 10:46 AM   #8
Ziroc

Yeah Moridin, true!

I added one new ranking last night (before I read this reply), but ok, I'll not add any more. There are a bunch already (and that's AFTER Drow Warrior)

Ziroc

Old 03-06-2001, 10:46 AM   #9
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Ziroc:
A few of you have been kinda miffed at the amount of 'spam' or 'posts for a star ranking' (grin), So I just wanted to ask you guys and gals to ease up on these type of posts.

If you do it though, please keep it to this forum

On a lighter note, I was thinking about adding more 'rankings' closer together. (i.e. it takes 200 post to reach one, I may cut that to 50 to reach a new ranking). That way, it'll allow newer users to reach new levels without having to post spam a lot..

Lemme know, I'm not mad at ANYONE, so don't take this post the wrong way!!

Ziroc
Well said, Ziroc - I probably wouldn't have been as tactful

To me, there are 4 kinds of posts, in order
of least to most:

A. Game related (BG, BG2, IWD etc)
B General Discussion (stuff like the Napster or the Taliban stuff, or favorite movie polls - stuff that is certain to inspire discussion)
C. Conversation threads
D. True SPAM (this is junk posts that have no relevance to anything and
stuff people post purely to get their numbers up. This is annoying as people have to wade through all this shit to be able to get to interesting threads and whenever they post something interesting or relevant it gets buried under all this spam.

People need to understand that it's not a numbers game - it's whether or not what you posted added value to people (helped them in the game, made them happy, brought a smile to their face). What you post has to make people want to come back here. This is by far THE BEST forum on the net. I've posted at the BG Dungeon, at Boards o' Magick, at Banshee, at Talon's Place and at TeamBG and this kicks ass over all of those. That's because the stuff here, off topic, on topic or otherwise, is always fresh, interesting, and funny.

Does this sound funny coming from the person who has the most number of posts thus far? My post numbers are high mainly because of A, B and to a lesser extent C type posts. I occasionally engage in spam if I want to talk shit with people but I don't make a habit of spamming just to get my post numbers up. I know my post numbers will get there because I answer that many questions and I enjoy spending time here. Why the rush? I'm a Zhentarim Guard today, yesterday a Drow Warrior, tomorrow maybe a Chosen of Mystra? (hint) But beneath it all I'm Memnoch - the rank doesn't make me better or worse.

The rankings are a cool and innovative idea and will eventually reflect the amount of time people have spent here - but let's not take them too seriously OK?

Re your final point Z - why not call lower ranks something suitably adventurous but doesn't sound too inferior - newbie members could become Fledglings or Fledgling Vampires, Regular Posters could become Spellswords, u know what I mean? Just a thought.

Oh, and sorry Z, I had to delete choc's head to make space for my own smilies!

------------------
Memnoch - Custodian of the Order of the Holy Flame

[This message has been edited by Memnoch (edited 03-06-2001).]
Old 03-06-2001, 10:53 AM   #10
Raistlin
Manshoon

Sure now you say that. I was just about to add a few thousand useless posts so everyone can think I am number one. To me the more post you have translates into too much time on the forum. It also inspires rank jealousy therfore spam.
If we really wanted to make ziroc work we would suggest that only posts on the game forum count and only if they actually provide insight or answer a question.

------------------

Balance