Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 10-02-2001, 12:58 PM   #31
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Thanks, Z! Nice to see a good definition and especially now when the upgrade is so close. I think everyone will be so excited by the new features, they may forget about spamming and spend all their time in chat or pm!

Seriously, Dan, I think a pm feature will drastically reduce the one line or "Hey didja get my email?" spam in the future.

I created the Cafe to take some of the short conversations/chats that might otherwise clog up threads and be off-topic. Kind of a catch-all for the little comments and jokes that didn't need their own threads. Seems to have been working quite well and draws a lot of people, some regulars but hopefully ANYONE who just wants to make a comment (I'm bored, what are you having for dinner? type stuff) will feel free to do it in the Cafe (or bar) instead of all over the board and in separate threads! We do make friends here and sometimes the Cafe- 'hanging out with our buddies' atmosphere is what people need/want at a given time. I hope Cloudy's Cafe can take up some of that and keep it in one place.

On another note, I'm quite pleased to see some fun (not one liner!) threads and interesting discussions taking place. As you all know, I'm not one for pure 'debate' mentality day in and day out so if all that we ever had was 'heavy' philisophical debates, GD and I would part company. But the same is true of the opposite, if all it ever had was joke threads I'd read alot more game forums!

Cloudy, debating whether to buy Pools of Radiance and vanish for hours at a stretch.. darn that Z, telling us it's good.. sigh...

PS....did I see a chat about ranks in this spam definition thread?!
------------------

Raindancer of the Laughing Hyenas Clan
CloudDragon of the OHF
Storm-Queen
Raven's Cloud
StormCloud of the Black Knight: Heart Mind Soul Forever
"To sleep, perchance to dream..."

[This message has been edited by Cloudbringer (edited 10-02-2001).]
Old 10-02-2001, 01:10 PM   #32
Grojlach
Zartan

Quote:
Originally posted by Cloudbringer:
Thanks, Z! Nice to see a good definition and especially now when the upgrade is so close. I think everyone will be so excited by the new features, they may forget about spamming and spend all their time in chat or pm!

Seriously, Dan, I think a pm feature will drastically reduce the one line or "Hey didja get my email?" spam in the future.

p
I can only confirm your expectations, Cloudy.
We installed the chat feature at the Elysium a few months ago and those who used the chat feature learnt each other much better and stopped spamming up the message board. It really helps!

*Looks at new Magister pic*
That's supposed to be an improvement?
j/k

[This message has been edited by Grojlach (edited 10-02-2001).]
Old 10-02-2001, 01:27 PM   #33
Ramon de Ramon y Ramon
Red Dragon

Quote:
Originally posted by Grojlach:
I can only confirm your expectations, Cloudy.
We installed the chat feature at the Elysium a few months ago and those who used the chat feature learnt each other much better and stopped spamming up the message board. It really helps!
All I can say to this is that at least for me posting on the board and chatting are two entirely different forms of communication, thus one could never be a real substitute for the other - and that includes the more chit-chat, fooling around type of posts ! At the much slower speed of communication here it is much easier to play off of each other ... And slower communication tends to be more precise which is also very important for enjoyable, a little more sophisticated kind of humour.

Also, here I got the opportunity to watch others while they are "at play" - which for me has always been the starting point for developing sympathies for the people I've met here.

------------------
So long !

R³ aka "The Ramonster"(thanks Sir Tainly) - proud to be the official spokesman for the most noble Lady Bilqis, Desert Rose of Ironworks - equally proud to be Moiraine's "permanent advocate" !

Btw, the cow is queuing in the slaughterhouse right now !
Old 10-02-2001, 04:36 PM   #34
Mirac Honorguard
Red Wizard of Thay

Quote:
Originally posted by Elif Godson:
Hey Ziroc,
Hope my sig isnt to big now. I know the old one was.
My apologies.

Looks like your sig is working now, somebody else did the job I see But it good to see it working. BTW, Z, I made a thread for Elif Godson to practice a bit with his sig, you can delete it I guess, cause his sig seems to work now

------------------
http://www.angelfire.com/rpg2/mirac
I'd be Mirac, mighty mage of er... uhm.. er.. - Mirac Honorguard
Fellow Table Dancer of the Jerome's Table dancer group
Spell formulater of the IW peace-keeping force
Old 10-02-2001, 04:47 PM   #35
Silver Cheetah
Fzoul Chembryl

Quote:
Originally posted by Ramon de Ramon y Ramon:
Well, I am afraid I have to act as "defiant smart-ass" here again: I have a growing suspicion that the "spam problem" or rather the problem with invreasing complaints about spam can, at least partially, be attributed to the following psychological trap: we all come here for different reasons, but often when we do our motivation is any single one or any combination of the following expectations: "meeting" friends and being entertained/distracted when feeling bored and/or frustrated with RL. Now, sometimes those expectations are bound to be disappointed: at the moment being there aren't any of our favourite people here neither are there threads with topics or "communicative atmospheres" that interest or appeal to us. Whenever our expectations are not met we tend to react with frustration and, of course, in that mood we are easily tempted to dismiss everything or most which is going on as superfluous hence "spam". I know that has happened to me and I would be surprised if I was the only one to be at times "prone" to such a rather egocentric perception of the world. So, I'd like to kindly invite anyone here to first ask themselves very carefully if their motivation for being currently frustrated with IW is really founded in an abundance of "spam" or just in a - hopefully temporary - abundance of, and shifting of the forum's "center of gravity" towards topics, "conversational patterns" and types of threads that just interest them personally less or not at all. Bear also in mind, please that at least in a "kaleidoscopic" forum like GD it is furthermore IMO almost impossible to determine "objectively" what kind of topics and communication belongs here and which doesn't. And then, after having carefully weighed all of the above, decide if it is justified to come here and complain publicly. Because, by complaining publicly, what you are basically doing is demanding of others that they start auto-censoring themselves - which can be very easily become a major obstacle to having fun and enjoying themselves - and you might very well "impress" and hamper those the most whom you didn't even have in mind ! Just check the conscientious tone of DragonMage's first post
here and you might get a good idea what I am referring to.

Thanks for bearing me out !

Ramon, I totally can relate to your post here. Already started wondering what I've written that is spam, and what isn't.... Please god don't say we have to all be serious all the time? There are many things to get serious about, and god knows I'm one that does, but I like a little light relief, and the forum has been very cathartic for me on that front. However, I have been asked not to take threads 'off topic' and I do see why it might not be a completely useful thing to do. However, once or twice I have used it as a method of diffusing situations which have become uncomfortable for some reason...)

To post or not to post? To respond or not... I understand the need for rules, but not TOO many, please?

Oh well, I'll suppose the only thing to do is carry on as normal. I expect someone will tell me if I'm doing something inappropriate.

------------------

Ascended Mistress of Illumination OR Paws R Us
Old 10-02-2001, 05:00 PM   #36
Neb
Account deleted by Request

I've shortened my sig a bit, I had to remove the WAT tag because I couldn't move it next to the HADB tag(If anyone can figure out how to do this, please tell me.), please tell me if you still think my sig is too big.

------------------
Worshipper of Tiax.
Wielder of the ancient Lawyer spells.
Member of the HADB clan.

Ally of the Fluffy Queen and the Dreaded Red Fluffy
General of the highest class and Leader of the Legal Department in the IW Peacekeeping Force.
ORT member, Official Demander of Stuff.
Old 10-02-2001, 05:16 PM   #37
G'kar

I pledge to keep my shorter posts thoughtful or creative, with purpose and measure in order not to spam and bog down the forum's computers and/or annoy the fellow members with a bunch of nonsense.

*Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaawn* *streeeeeeeeeeetch* *Puuuurrrrrrr*
Anybody else wish they were a cat?

Old 10-02-2001, 05:51 PM   #38
Ace Flashheart
Manshoon

Ziroc you mentioned the delete button is back up... If I start a thread and then delete the first post does the entire thread dissapear?

Cable modem + Blank posts = Anubis in under a week

Or maybe I am being overly optimistic...
Old 10-02-2001, 06:10 PM   #39
Horus - Egyptian Sky God

Quote:
Originally posted by Ace Flashheart:
Ziroc you mentioned the delete button is back up... If I start a thread and then delete the first post does the entire thread dissapear?

Cable modem + Blank posts = Anubis in under a week

Or maybe I am being overly optimistic...
when you can spam well like like I do... you don't really care spamming for spamm's sake any more, it is your second nature...
Old 10-02-2001, 09:37 PM   #40
Elif Godson
Dracolich

Quote:
Originally posted by Mirac Honorguard:

Looks like your sig is working now, somebody else did the job I see But it good to see it working. BTW, Z, I made a thread for Elif Godson to practice a bit with his sig, you can delete it I guess, cause his sig seems to work now

Hi Mirac, Thanks for tryingb The Warlock was quicker. My thanks go out
to you both. THANK YOU

------------------
The Ruby Rouge of the ALSB
[img] Official Slayer of Pest's in Cloudy's Kitchen
Blessed is the Warlock